Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I just got a light that is 2100+ lumen for 2.5ish hours. That gives me 5ish hours around 1400 lumen - now that is a usable light. I can't imagine doing any riding with a 500 lumen light.
This is exactly what I’d get for riding on dark unlit roads.

Clean: another under garmin style out front mount is cygolite metro. My SO uses the 1200 model and says it is plenty bright but I’ve never used it. It is very similar to L&M for a fraction the price.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
... frankly would go crazy if it’s not going to blind others.
No offense, but I think blinding oncoming drivers is a questionable tactic. I can see throwing out a ton of light in a non-shaped conical pattern when you are in nearly complete darkness (rural roads or out on the trails), but in any setting where you will encounter cars that just seems like a crash waiting to happen.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
No offense, but I think blinding oncoming drivers is a questionable tactic. I can see throwing out a ton of light in a non-shaped conical pattern when you are in nearly complete darkness (rural roads or out on the trails), but in any setting where you will encounter cars that just seems like a crash waiting to happen.
Not in my experience, they almost always slow down and stay away. And anyways, He stated dark and quiet streets. Hit the button when you see a car and drop the lumens…you’ll usually see them coming from very far away.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:10 PM

From all the reading I've been doing, it seems like the key is to focus on getting a light that emulates automobile low-beams - giving a wide spread right in front while throwing light low and far out on the road, with a good cutoff to not blind others..

So that's what I'm going to go for - either the Outbound or the Dinotte.

And I'll still have my little Bontrager Ion 200 to keep on my outfront mount for emergency little quick rides without the full setup.

Last edited by Clean39T; 11-06-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:42 PM

Same setup here - tiny ions front and rear and a light and motion 800.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:38 PM

I use nitecore flash lights.

So I just got back into them so I see they have a bunch of new ones including bikes lights.

I had the old Nitecore EC1 on my track bike a few times.

This is one to look out for in the future.

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...iABEgKyxPD_BwE
Old 11-07-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
From all the reading I've been doing, it seems like the key is to focus on getting a light that emulates automobile low-beams - giving a wide spread right in front while throwing light low and far out on the road, with a good cutoff to not blind others..

So that's what I'm going to go for - either the Outbound or the Dinotte.

And I'll still have my little Bontrager Ion 200 to keep on my outfront mount for emergency little quick rides without the full setup.
I use both an outbound and a Bontrager Ion Pro or whatever. Outbound is always on as a low beam. Bontrager is on all the time as well for a high beam but I cover it with my hand when there is oncoming traffic. Beat of both worlds. And it's like freaking daylight out when I have both on!
Old 11-07-2021, 06:43 PM

I thought I'd replied to this one, maybe it was another thread, not sure.

I really like the Knog PWR light system, it is actually modestly priced and I've used one for the last two winters.

It is 700 lumens, but I don't know how 'accurate' that is... I have found other much more 'powerful' lights to be not as nice to train in. It throws a nice broad beam, and I can train in the dark with it on a lower power mode. I ride roads and climbs without any lighting, it is certainly more than adequate.

Battery wise, I can do a three hour ride in the morning and then ride home (another 1.5 hours) and it's still got a bit of battery left.

I really like the mount, admittedly it is not the easiest to get on/off when compared with some of the silicone band solutions - but it is very secure and allows a very neat mounting with your light tucked under the stem.

One last cool thing is that the light head is removable and the battery can be used to charge other items (phones, garmins, etc). That's kind of a bit gimmicky but may be useful. The other side of removing the head is you can put a more powerful head on it if you so wish.

For the money it's really good - it's the cheapest light I've owned in a long time, but it's actually the one I've been happiest with.

Pic:

Old 11-18-2021, 10:43 AM
I need you cool.

Hey, if anyone is interested, just got a coupon code from Light & Motion today:

Also, ALL our trail lights are 20% off starting TODAY, November 18 - Monday, November 22.
Use code TRAILLIGHTS20 at checkout.
Promotion ends November 22 at 11:59pm PST. Limit one use per customer.

Cheers.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
It's a huge challenge to find any American Made product that doesn't contain parts from outside the US. My "Hecho en Flagstaff" Coconinos have some Aye-talian tubing.
The two trail lights are made in the USA, but the Road model is the only one that's "Engineered & assembled in Chicago, IL".
Old 11-18-2021, 07:08 PM

I'm an L&M fan. I'm a fan of the Urban.

Like their mount. Like that I can move from bike to bike easily. Like the smaller form factor.

I use the 1000 on my handlebar and then have the 360 mounted on my helmet. One to see and one to be seen. Dinotte Quad Red for the back.

I've been using this for commute (way back in the day when there was such a thing), for a few years now. My commute is mostly lit on roads but there's a short portion on the trail so it's dark.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:16 PM

Consider the BONTRAGER Ion Pro. 1300 Lumens.

Best part is that it integrates with your head unit. And you can add a ANT+ remote which comes in handy.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Hey, if anyone is interested, just got a coupon code from Light & Motion today:

Also, ALL our trail lights are 20% off starting TODAY, November 18 - Monday, November 22.
Use code TRAILLIGHTS20 at checkout.
Promotion ends November 22 at 11:59pm PST. Limit one use per customer.

Cheers.
Never used their lights, but lights made for trail riding usually have too much spread/spill to be good on the road. You need more light throw for road riding.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:00 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Never used their lights, but lights made for trail riding usually have too much spread/spill to be good on the road. You need more light throw for road riding.
I have the Taz 1500 and just picked up the Seca 2000 on sale (essentially same, with the Seca having more lumens)....I would say they are suitable for either road or trail.

IMHO, L&M has some of the better optics for lights: "Custom engineered reflector/optics provide wide reaching beam pattern close up with a powerful penetrating spot beam further out"

Beams are well focused with plenty of "throw" and the "spread" is slightly wider than two lanes
Old 11-19-2021, 08:10 AM

I'm looking at L&M lights and the Bontrager Ion Pro. Does anyone use the Bontrager light on their helmet? I've been using the L&M VIS 360, but the battery is no longer holding a charge. I would like to integrate a Bontrager set up with the remote, but have not seen much on using these as a helmet mount. Any experience and insights would be appreciated.