Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 03:14 PM

A month later I wanted to follow up. I bought the CDI TorqControl TLA28NM for $50. This has the typical CDI (Snap-on) quality. It's easy to adjust and has the perfect range for most small bike fasteners. I liked that it came with a calibration test too. Easily worth the money.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:23 PM

Nice choice. I've got two: a 1/4" 4-20NM unit from Holex (https://www.roundtheclockmall.com/products/45588408491) and a Proto 3/8" that goes up to 60NM for heavier stuff. Both are micrometer style.

Worth investing in a set of hex bits from Snap-On, Proto, etc...

Bike tools are funny - sometimes you really want a tool from the likes of Snap-On, Mac, etc
Old 12-03-2021, 03:54 PM

For the archives: I have two CDI torque wrenches but I wouldn't buy them again. Both forward/reverse ratchet selectors move if you look at them funny. I'd like to tighten them up but my wrenches are assembled with one-time use pins that need to be replaced if you open them for service.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:10 PM

On recommendation from a forum member here I picked up Wera clicker type torque wrench. Works wonderfully, excellent craftsmanship.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:48 PM

Wera

I own the Wera B1 and love it. For everyday shop use, I use the Pro torque wrench and a Park tools, they are great for the kind of abuse they get.

For 3/8 bit sockets I use Nepros... love they way they look and feel.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:12 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

+1 on CDI - I'm happy with mine.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:42 AM

For reliable and budget-friendly the Park clicker torque wrenches (TW series) are hard to beat! They'll torque in both directions which is important for BBs and suspension, and the low range and high range ones are both 3/8" drive which means you only need one set of sockets for both. It's already been said but I'm here to confirm that 2 torque wrenches are needed for this wide of a range- especially considering that many cranksets need north of 40nm (Sram is up to 54nm with DUB).

If you want more bling the options are plentiful; CDI, Wera (make sure the wrench torques in both directions), PB Swiss and more!
Old 12-04-2021, 08:38 AM

Take this for what it's worth, but for torquing larger items like bottom brackets, a beam type torque wrench is hard to beat. It never goes out of calibration, and you don't need to care for it gently.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I just bought some carbon stuff that needs very accurate torque specs when tightening, ranging from a low of 5Nm (stem) to 40Nm (bearing cup).

Need a very good torque wrench recommendation please. Has to be able to have allen head capability (which i guess can be done via allen sockets). I have a Park ATD that I use for stems only, but it's kind of limited in its setting range, and I've always used alloy stems & bars so I've never really worried about hamfisting that to spec. I need something that can specifically handle (in Nm) 5, 6, 8, 10, 20, & 40.

I have a Craftsman beam wrench and could use that for the 40Nm BB cup install I suppose, but I wouldn't mind a clicker type or digital that is super accurate in this situation.

One question: if I'm using a socket on a clicker-type or digital wrench, does that introduce any additional force (torque) that isn't measurable? Or is the torque reading (or click setting) a highly accurate reading, i.e., torque is torque?

Thanks.
I just bought both the Park TW-5.2 and the TW-6.2. Both seem very accurate, and well made. You might also check out Wera, also very high quality.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:54 AM

Yep. I already have a nice & simple Craftsman beam torque wrench and I ended up using that for install of the THM BB cups.

Thought about upping the tool game....but then figured I've been installing SRAM and Shimano BB cups for many years with the same wrench (and for a long time, no wrench), never with an issue.

Kept it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
Take this for what it's worth, but for torquing larger items like bottom brackets, a beam type torque wrench is hard to beat. It never goes out of calibration, and you don't need to care for it gently.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Purdy View Post
I just bought both the Park TW-5.2 and the TW-6.2. Both seem very accurate, and well made. You might also check out Wera, also very high quality.
Yeah, I have one Park (5.2, I think), and a couple of Weras. All top notch.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Yeah, I have one Park (5.2, I think), and a couple of Weras. All top notch.
Wera is a cut above all of them. It's the "Dom Perignon" of that type of tool Their torx bits are unrivalled. Sharper on the edge than Park - which I just purchased.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesserevil View Post
I own the Wera B1 and love it. For everyday shop use, I use the Pro torque wrench and a Park tools, they are great for the kind of abuse they get.

For 3/8 bit sockets I use Nepros... love they way they look and feel.
I just found out about Nepros. Looks like serious quality. Not that Wera is a slouch or Park is either. Mind you, some of the Part stuff is clearly designed for guy's like me. I work on my own bikes, which consist of three of my own and my wife's. I can do pretty much anything with what I've got without having to go to the shop - except lacing a wheel. Not my forte.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Purdy View Post
I just found out about Nepros. Looks like serious quality. Not that Wera is a slouch or Park is either. Mind you, some of the Part stuff is clearly designed for guy's like me. I work on my own bikes, which consist of three of my own and my wife's. I can do pretty much anything with what I've got without having to go to the shop - except lacing a wheel. Not my forte.
Same here, I hate working on wheels or suspension services. Idk why but I don't care to learn. But yes the Wera and the Nepros are for home use only for me. Ive heard good things about the Mariposa torque wrenches but have yet to use one.