Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 09:03 AM
Vendor

Couple things to add:
1. ZeroFriction testing is remarkably repeatable, and he has quite a few products with multiple data points to prove this.
2. The test generally has him lubricating the chain every 300km, but with factory grease this isn't possible, so that test skews bad since it's basically a test of how much chain wear you get if you put it on and never touch it.
3. This chart has data showing NFS over top of factory grease, applied every 300km. The factory grease remains solidly in place past 2000km and the NFS is mostly serving to help clean away debris from the chain which is why it lasts so much longer than factory grease only, though still not as good as Synergetic!

Old 11-08-2021, 04:45 PM

Thanks Josh
Old 11-08-2021, 06:02 PM

That table is really great. What I'm taking away as a mostly fair weather rider is that I'm going to try the Silca drip product next.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
That table is really great. What I'm taking away as a mostly fair weather rider is that I'm going to try the Silca drip product next.
The trick we've learned from ZeroFriction is to initially do 2 applications of the product. Since SuperSecret is 20% water that evaporates, it leaves 20% negative space in the chain after drying from the first application. If you do a second application and let that dry overnight, you are theoretically now at 96% lubricant fill and only 4% negative space. This is the technique used in the chart for the ceramic speed lube, and when we do it in our own testing, we find improved life as well as even further reduction in wear!
Old 11-09-2021, 04:06 PM

I find that the concept of negative space so distressing that I may give up cycling entirely. I had enough trouble with black holes and Minkowski space

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshatsilca View Post
The trick we've learned from ZeroFriction is to initially do 2 applications of the product. Since SuperSecret is 20% water that evaporates, it leaves 20% negative space in the chain after drying from the first application. If you do a second application and let that dry overnight, you are theoretically now at 96% lubricant fill and only 4% negative space. This is the technique used in the chart for the ceramic speed lube, and when we do it in our own testing, we find improved life as well as even further reduction in wear!
Old 11-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshatsilca View Post
2. The test generally has him lubricating the chain every 300km, but with factory grease this isn't possible, so that test skews bad since it's basically a test of how much chain wear you get if you put it on and never touch it.
3. This chart has data showing NFS over top of factory grease, applied every 300km. The factory grease remains solidly in place past 2000km and the NFS is mostly serving to help clean away debris from the chain which is why it lasts so much longer than factory grease only, though still not as good as Synergetic
Protocol 2 & 3 needs some further thought.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Protocol 2 & 3 needs some further thought.
Of all the things you can accuse Adam Kerin and ZFC of, I don't think it is fair to say he lacks appropriate thought and consideration:

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...rease-v1.1.pdf

His website contains a derth of information on his testing protocols as well as individual tests. At times it definitely requires a skim read.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:37 PM

I’m amazed at how much time people spend thinking about how to lube a chain. Keep it clean and use any oil to keep it from squeaking, job done.

Tim
Old 11-09-2021, 04:44 PM

I'm amused by how much studied information is available to the world and subsequently ignored.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
I'm amused by how much studied information is available to the world and subsequently ignored.
Ding

Little bit of humility goes a long way too!

Last edited by jimoots; 11-09-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
How much difference does it really make for 99.999% of us?

Tim
Old 11-09-2021, 06:58 PM

wax plus SS

I've used NFS for years. Switched to Synergetic a few years ago for road bikes. Just got a new MTB and for a lark decided to do the Silca hot wax and touch up with Super Secret.

It's very quiet and clean. I wipe after each ride and touch up with 5-6 drops of super secret. I don't ride it enough to have really worn the chain nor do I track rides on each bike. But, anecdotally, I feel like its a good combo.

My question is "am I just gilding the lily by added super secret on top of wax". I don't really want to be in the game of removing chains to rewax. If I can wax initially and touch up with super secret, that's great. I'm about to move to this for road bikes as well.

Maybe Josh would want to comment on this?

Jon
Old 11-09-2021, 07:39 PM

No one using ultrasonic cleaners for their chain?
Old 11-09-2021, 07:54 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

DBRK was always a fan of wiping chains with an old, soft, cotton rag post-ride before putting bicycles away.
I see no downside and only upside to doing this same procedure, so that has been adopted for my fleet, too.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
How much difference does it really make for 99.999% of us?

Tim
For me, a lot. I enjoy rarely cleaning my drivetrain and I ride in extremely dusty dry conditions. Normally every ride would require a complete cleaning at the bike wash, now…rub my chain with a towel and ready to ride.

I could care less about the watts.

For me it’s quiet and less maintenance.