Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 06:25 AM

Initial cleaning

I just stripped down a new chain after its 100 mile breakin using a modified procedure that a fellow on another forum claims is faster and less wasteful solvent-wise.

I have two wide plastic containers (old Costco cashew jars) with 3-4 oz coleman fuel in them. The first container is the dirty one for the initial soak. The second one is the clean one, for the final rinse. After the final rinse, it goes into the crockpot of wax. I have done 4 chains so far in the same solutions. The first container looks nasty to be honest but the rinse one isn't too bad. On the next chain, I plan to switch and fill a new clean rinse container. In the time it took to change two tires and put new latex tubes into my 650B tired bike, the chain was done. I am slow changing tires these days, so, it might have been 30 minutes.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:21 AM

Two questions please:
- Does the rinse container become the next dirty container, and the dirty solvent is tossed each time? Am I understanding that you are doing 4 chains in the same two containers?
- Please say more about the 100 mile break-in, and why you strip it after that distance.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I just stripped down a new chain after its 100 mile breakin using a modified procedure that a fellow on another forum claims is faster and less wasteful solvent-wise.

I have two wide plastic containers (old Costco cashew jars) with 3-4 oz coleman fuel in them. The first container is the dirty one for the initial soak. The second one is the clean one, for the final rinse. After the final rinse, it goes into the crockpot of wax. I have done 4 chains so far in the same solutions. The first container looks nasty to be honest but the rinse one isn't too bad. On the next chain, I plan to switch and fill a new clean rinse container. In the time it took to change two tires and put new latex tubes into my 650B tired bike, the chain was done. I am slow changing tires these days, so, it might have been 30 minutes.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
It’s not for a clean drivetrain, it’s for a long lasting drivetrain.

With the cost and limited availability of parts, I have found it really makes sense if you ride a decent amount.

I feel that’s a bit of a straw man, you’d rather not use 1L of plentiful and easily disposed (or reused, if you’re savvy) solvents than waste all the energy, raw materials, etc on a chain?

Not cleaning out the factory gunk from a chain, regardless of lube choice, means you’re gonna be tossing your chain at 1000-2000km intervals. So realistically between 3-6 chains for 1 that you use some solvents on.
Why would a factory lubed chain require disposal at 1-2km?
Old 11-06-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Two questions please:
- Does the rinse container become the next dirty container, and the dirty solvent is tossed each time? Am I understanding that you are doing 4 chains in the same two containers?
- Please say more about the 100 mile break-in, and why you strip it after that distance.

Thank you
Friction facts and/or Zerofriction did some analysis on the initial breakin where burrs and other surface irregularities are smoothed. Most of what people are buying when they buy a super duper low friction chain for 200 bucks is that break in, which is done on a machine for purchased chains. I wasn't quite believing it but I have found small metal pieces in the solution. So, I use the new chain with factory grease for 50-100 miles before stripping it off and waxing.

I have had 4 rinses in my dirty container and 4 rinses in my clean container. I have not replaced either, yet. I am going to get rid of the dirty rinse and use the "clean" one as the dirty. So, I will be starting with a new "clean" rinse. I should be able to make it thru winter, all my chains are pretty new and recently waxed. I also skipped the alcohol as the last step that many use to get it squeaky clean. I listened to some guy on another forum who always seems to know chemistry or purports to. So far, I cannot tell any difference, the chain is quiet and seems low friction.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Why would a factory lubed chain require disposal at 1-2km?
Because it collects fine sand and dirt like a magnet and grinds away the plates and pins very quickly.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:23 AM

Interesting--I have been doing a version of that cleaning procedure, but reapplying an oil based lube. Not sure I'm ready for waxing since I no longer ride in the rain if I can possibly avoid it...

A friendly reminder--most areas have a hazardous waste drop off site--make sure to save and drop off used solvents. I just use the orange juice bottles--and mark them--mixed solvents seem to be fine. The alcohol is less toxic since it breaks down pretty quickly, but if I'm doing a bunch of refinishing I will bottle that and drop it off too.

If you are frugal, you can also use Melita filters and filter your dirty solvent--it will catch all the sludge and particles and then it can be re-used for the 'first clean' step.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Because it collects fine sand and dirt like a magnet and grinds away the plates and pins very quickly.
All lubes will do that- wax too. Shimano states to leave that factory lube on, it prolongs the life of the chain-most lubes don’t penetrate between them plates due to tight tolerances.

Last edited by Mikej; 11-06-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
All lubes will do that- wax too. Shimano states to leave that factory lube on, it prolongs the life of the chain-most lubes don’t penetrate between them plates due to tight tolerances.
That’s manufacturer doublespeak.

As noted I am at 1500km (now 1700km) per chain with no wear, riding in all sorts of conditions.

Previously a chain would have been in the bin by now as it’s still wet and gritty down here.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Not my experience and not what zero friction's testing shows.

Lube obviously penetrates into the pins and plate area.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Not my experience and not what zero friction's testing shows.

Lube obviously penetrates into the pins and plate area.
Zero friction is not exactly a scientific operation. It seems a sample size of 1 is what they base their findings with. To each his own.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:18 PM

https://bikerumor.com/2011/06/28/cha...-with-shimano/
Old 11-06-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Zero friction is not exactly a scientific operation. It seems a sample size of 1 is what they base their findings with. To each his own.
Hundreds of hours ain't nothing.

I answered the question. Anyone who keeps the factory lube on is a rube.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:34 PM

Maybe I just dont know what a worn chain sounds/feels like. Before switching to Silca SS wax, i used NFS. I just buy a new chain each spring, putting about 6 to 7 thousand miles on it each year with lube. all this talk of 1 to 2 kilometers (or is it miles) is confounding to me.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Like I said marketing doublespeak.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
It’s repeatable and agreed upon by makers of good lube. It correlates with all of the data from friction facts. He is contracted to do pre production testing work.

If you want to believe what you believe that’s fine, I’m not going to argue with you, just setting the record straight for anyone reading but not commenting.