Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 11:05 PM

The Finer Things Club; Tubular question

I have been having a resurgence of desire to ride tubulars this season. The mystique of the process and ride quality has a solid hold on me. My question is this, how do you roll up your spare and what preparations do you make to fix any issue on the road?

Pictures would also be a bonus.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:44 PM

Seems like such a simple question, doesn't it?

Preloaded Stans, CO2, and a phone. No spare. That's my tubular plan for <2hr rides.

I pretty much gave up on tubulars for daily use, they rode nice but I never learned to trust the system. I don't want to dork with a well-stuck tubular while out on the road, and I don't trust a tubular that easy to dork with (or the unglued spare).

Last edited by chismog; 10-27-2021 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
My question is this, how do you roll up your spare and what preparations do you make to fix any issue on the road?
This is the proper way to fold a tubular for under the saddle.

Fold that tub!
Old 10-28-2021, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
I have been having a resurgence of desire to ride tubulars this season. The mystique of the process and ride quality has a solid hold on me. My question is this, how do you roll up your spare and what preparations do you make to fix any issue on the road?

Pictures would also be a bonus.
BlownReek above found the video on how to roll up a tubular.
-Pre-treat the tire you are going to use with some sort of sealant..I use Orange seal
-pre-glue the spare..let it dry, roll it up, use a toe strap to mount under saddle. I put mine in an old sock, along with the below, $5($10 in the republic of Boulder).

This a recurring thread and you'll hear all sort of horror stories about tubulars..their expense, the difficulty gluing them on, blah, blah...a LOT of them from some who have never used them..3rd, 4th, 6th hand off the inter web.

They are NOT hard to glue on..takes about 45 minutes but yes, wait 24hours to ride
They are NOT expensive compared to other higher end tires and TUBES(and even with tubeless..eeek)
They DO ride like a dream, are the 'radial car tire' version of bike tires.
All else being equal, they flat less than a tubed tire(pinch flats..altho possible, very rare).

A bazillion ways to glue them on...PM and I can give you my 'technique'.

I got rid of all my clinchers long ago..I own ONLY tubular wheels/tires.

Clinchers are for...well, ya know...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-28-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:18 AM
Everything is connected

Search gluing a tubular on PL and joyfully head into the abyss, or just follow the Spud’s direction. I use this method to fold a tire and I pack the spare into a baggie and it sits in my handlebar bag. I also use 2ml of Orange Seal Endurance per tire (27mm Veloflex) and knock on wood, I haven’t had to pull out a spare in several years. I top off the sealant every 3 months or so until the tread is past its prime.

Some folks carry sealant with them and in that case, don’t forget to pack a valve core removal tool or you’re SOL.

https://iamgerardthomas.com/fold-that-tub/
Old 10-28-2021, 08:28 AM

This is the bag I use on my tubular equipped bikes:

That bottom zipped portion has the rolled, glued tubular inside a sock. The upper parts has a body of Orange Seal (I don't pretreat with sealant), tire levers, CO2 inflator with a couple of spare cartridges, valve tool, couple of allen wrenches, emergency money, and enough sports drink mix for an in-route refill of a water bottle. If by chance I get caught in rain I can unzip that lower zipper and the bag will expand enough to move my cellphone from my jersey to the bag.

Oh and I should mention all my tubular bikes right now are steel ones with pump pegs so I also always have a full frame Zefal Pump with me.

Typical setup for the ride.

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-28-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Administrator

As mentioned, the topic of what to do in the event of a flat tub has been covered dozens of times on the forum. Not chastising, just mentioning as the archives are full of good info.

Personally, if I'm riding a modern bike with tubs like my pinarello or allied, i stow a spare tub in the arundel tubi bag and go with that. On more classic steel, i go with the tried and true method of just the folded tub under the saddle. In reality this is less preferred because the glue can get a little mucked up with road grit that gets sprayed back there, but it works out OK.

It's really no big deal to change a tub on the road with a pre-glued spare. nothing to be afraid of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w.jpg (136.1 KB, 415 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:31 AM
Administrator

this is the arundel tubi. it's a good bag and doesnt look too bad on the bike.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this is the arundel tubi. it's a good bag and doesnt look too bad on the bike.
+1. My go-to for a single tub spare (also comes with black, gold or blue trim). The Tubi has a side pocket where the OP's recommend paint-can opener ($10 in Boulder??? Yikes, got mine for 57 cents at Home Depot. Maybe that pricing includes a used sock... ) Did round off the edges with a Dremel to prevent rim scratching.) I don't pre-treat tubs but do carry a small bottle of sealant a valve core removal tool and a spare valve core (sealant in a pocket, other stuff in the Tubi pocket.).

For "I'm really out there in the middle of nowhere without cell service" it's an additional spare; both tubs in the Jannd Tire Bag II (used be called the Dual). Never even pulled out one spare on any of those rides... knock on wood!

Old 10-28-2021, 09:02 AM

I am fully prepared to get flamed for the following. I use Effetta Mariposa tape for my tubulars and have stopped using glue. For a spare I use a small 22mm Tufo tubular tire that folds up and lives in a Glad ziplock in a jersey pocket. If I flat, I use that non glued tire inflated with CO2 to get home. No fast downhills or cornering. I gingerly ride to get home and put on a proper replacement.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:05 AM
Administrator

My LHD (local home depot) gives those paint can openers away for free
Old 10-28-2021, 09:08 AM

I don't have a good picture of it, but several years ago, David Beck (CR folk will know him) had reproductions of a tubular holder that Cinelli made once upon a time. Somehow I was fortunate enough to wind up with two of them. Here it one restraining the spare on my Serotta.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:08 AM

I just carry a small bottle of orange seal, CO2, and a cell phone. Only had to resort to the cell phone once in around 7 years.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:11 AM

That Arundel Tubi is the real deal.

Tubulars...

These 25 mm Vittoria Corsa SC's ride nicer than any 28 mm clincher...

From yesterday's ride. The colors are fading, November's right around the corner.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:02 AM
I need you cool.

This guy folds the tire the way I have done it....

He takes forever to get to the point, but essentially get all the air out of the tire. Fold in half so there are "two tracks" of the tire, then roll up and secure with a strap.

Folding a tubular tire

Fits under seat or in a jersey pocket.

Cheers