Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 06:50 PM

Gujarat, India

I’ll be there in January and into February. I will not be bringing a bike, but not ruling out a ride completely. Not yet, anyway. Any hive mind knowledge of riding in Gujarat? I’m staying in/near Trimandir, Adalaj.

Aside from riding, any must see spots?
Old 12-03-2021, 07:11 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

In addition to Douglas Brooks (aka DBRK) who I don't think spends any time here anymore, we've had at least one other member who lived in India for a while. I don't remember who it was, or where, and of course India's a big place.

If you don't get much feedback here you could check over on the ADV forum. That's mostly motos, but I do know that there have been several reports from there in the "Epic Rides" section, so you might be able to get some more info from those guys. (or you could switch from pedal bikes to a beater Royal Enfield moto and fit right in)

At least you won't have to worry much about depreciation:

Last edited by Louis; 12-03-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I’ll be there in January and into February. I will not be bringing a bike, but not ruling out a ride completely. Not yet, anyway. Any hive mind knowledge of riding in Gujarat? I’m staying in/near Trimandir, Adalaj.

Aside from riding, any must see spots?
Mahatma Gandhi was born and spent much time in Gujarat, so there are some notable/historic places to visit. For example: Porbandar (birth place), Rajkot (early years, also a museum there), Ahamedabad (ashram), and Dandi (March to Dandi). Ahamedabad is the closest if you are staying in Trimandir Adalj

Note that January 30th marks the anniversary of his death, so may be a good time to visit.

Also note that the Gujarat is primarily a vegetarian state, and from what I recall, is also dry (in terms of alcohol), but it can be procured from official outlets.

Last edited by yngpunk; 12-03-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
In addition to Douglas Brooks (aka DBRK) who I don't think spends any time here anymore, we've had at least one other member who lived in India for a while. I don't remember who it was, or where, and of course India's a big place.

If you don't get much feedback here you could check over on the ADV forum. That's mostly motos, but I do know that there have been several reports from there in the "Epic Rides" section, so you might be able to get some more info from those guys. (or you could switch from pedal bikes to a beater Royal Enfield moto and fit right in)

At least you won't have to worry much about depreciation:

Haha, not much of a moto guy but a Royal Enfield rental did catch my eye. Tempting, but I'm reluctant to go that direction in a place soooooo unfamiliar. Some great leads here, no less. Annnnd I'm already searching tourist motorcycle licensure India...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Mahatma Gandhi was born and spent much time in Gujarat, so there are some notable/historic places to visit. For example: Porbandar (birth place), Rajkot (early years, also a museum there), Ahamedabad (ashram), and Dandi (March to Dandi). Ahamedabad is the closest if you are staying in Trimandir Adalj

Note that January 30th marks the anniversary of his death, so may be a good time to visit.

Also note that the Gujarat is primarily a vegetarian state, and from what I recall, is also dry (in terms of alcohol), but it can be procured from official outlets.
Awesome. I know it's the home state of Gandhi, but didn't know of the timing. Or of the other places which is exactly what I hoped to start getting an idea of. The core group of 7 + myself are bonafide wine drinkers, so we'll inevitably balance out the arid climate at some point. But I'm excited for a journey of many dimensions.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 12-03-2021 at 08:37 PM.