Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 05:17 PM

Anyone own NOX Composites rims?

Without discussing the stupid price of carbon rims, can anyone discuss personal experience with NOX rims, in particular their 36mm Falkor rims?

Looking for a daily rider with a wide internal rim for my old rim brake bikes. I don’t live where the negatives of carbon rim braking come into play.

Anyone with personal experience with these rims?
Old 12-03-2021, 06:59 PM

Teo’s

I’ve got a pair of Teocali 29 on my Bingham Built drop bar MTB. They were built up by Mike Curiak with DT240 hubs. Fantastic wheels, true, excellent finish, and fairly light for what they are. I use them mostly off road, but have ridden a road century on them as well with 2.25” and they weren’t as bad as you’de think. Other riders Ive ridden with have super good things to say about Nox.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:17 PM

Short version: they're fantastic wheels (but I haven't used them w/ rim brakes) and any time I need new rims they're at the top of my list.

I have 2 sets; one XCR29 (no longer made, replaced by the Skyline) and one 27.5 Teocalli, both disc.

The XCRs have been bombproof and I haven't trued them since I got them. They're on a SS race bike (with a sabbatical on a gravel bike) and haven't had any issues despite me being a dumb bunny and taking them where they're not designed to go.

The Teocallis have been just as good. They're on my trail bike and I broke the rear hitting a square-edge rock at mach stupid with not enough pressure and no insert. It was totally my fault but I put in a tube and rode another 12 miles home over some pretty chunky terrain with no issues.

They did a crash-replacement rebuild with no fuss and that wheel is rolling just fine.

(The 29er wheel w/ I9 Torch hubs are for sale if anyone's interested)

Last edited by dolface; 12-03-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I have hubs and it appears they’ll build on customer hubs (WI in my case) and so I may go this route. Been looking at them for several years actually and now may be the time given the limitations of my frames, which I’m happy with.

These will be rim brake road wheels.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I have hubs and it appears they’ll build on customer hubs (WI in my case) and so I may go this route. Been looking at them for several years actually and now may be the time given the limitations of my frames, which I’m happy with.

These will be rim brake road wheels.
No idea about the aforementioned rim brake deep road wheels, but my Skylines have been bombproof and awesome. Can't imagine the apple falls far from the tree with Nox. Also their customer service rivals Lynette from WI for their reponsiveness and care.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overshot View Post
I’ve got a pair of Teocali 29 on my Bingham Built drop bar MTB. They were built up by Mike Curiak with DT240 hubs. Fantastic wheels, true, excellent finish, and fairly light for what they are. I use them mostly off road, but have ridden a road century on them as well with 2.25” and they weren’t as bad as you’de think. Other riders Ive ridden with have super good things to say about Nox.
+1 on Teos. When the budget allows, I'm eyeing a set of Kitsumas for my Jones.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:47 PM

I ride a pair of NOX falcor 36 wheels on a rim brake set up. These wheels were built up by the late John Jones who recommended these rims at this price point. And if John recommended them, they have to be good. I’ve ridden them in hilly conditions over about 10k miles. They’ve been great until just recently there was some delamination on the front wheel brake track. My bike shop notified NOX and NOX replaced the rim, no questions asked. I’d buy them again. Good value, good company.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overshot View Post
Need to see this bike
Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 PM

I also had the late John Jones build me a pair of Nox 36's. Great wheel. Buy with confidence.