Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2021, 01:07 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Nice rig. I know this is a tubular thread, but have to ask about the bars....

Old school anti numb hands device for long rides and old hands.
Di2 Climber Pod up front on the aero section that gets used a lot.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:18 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Same tires on my first set, Strada 30s, but tubs. They are heaven rolling in the glide dept. I can say definitively. Was going to put them on the DoMonster until the G-Ones popped up.

BTW I think running them too low on PSi might be the reason some reports say the edge of the tread lifts. I run them 80 PSi, and use a different bike with real fatties for stone/gravel/woods.
Although on dry hardpack the Stradas did very well.

I don't know if you saw my comment on glue surface area. Highly suggest a last coat and wet mount, just wait a day to ride. If you let that glue to the contact cement dry touch, repositioning will be your worst nightmare. My first on I had to use a round fat Phillips shaft rolled and pulled at a 45^ angle to move it back to center once it touched. Cursing all the way, and cleaning up the extra glue mess. Never glued a 26mm wide sew-up rim prior, just 19mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Looking good, robt pal!

I ran out of glue and am waiting for the mastik that I ordered to show up so I can install the G-One on the new XTR carbon hoops that you recommended... in the meantime, guess what I am riding on

Last edited by robt57; 11-17-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:48 PM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks for the tip, robt pal!
Old 12-03-2021, 06:32 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Got these G-Zero HTs tubulars out for a mixed ride today. Having rolled them only on a short pavement ride previously on initial ride.

These surprised me a lot on loose gravel. Local to me is a college campus with a nice paved outer roadway and near zero cars. And an extensive agro section and community gardens with pea gravel trails galore.

I either ride the paved loop with light road tires, or the gravel sections on 29er or Gravel bike 40x700 monster CX or 47x650b ByWays or Teravail Cannonballs yada, not mixed.

These G-Zeros even @ 85 PSI on the loose were excellent. A little plowing if I pushed a tight turn in loose. But 60 PSI is the bottom low range I need to try them at for that.

I came away thinking my fat tires are a lot less needed than I previously thought. They mostly did as well as my 33mm PDX CX tubs, and a whole lot better on the paved parts.

For context, I and 210 lbs, but do have 10 years of Motocross thru my 20s that put a good gyroscope in me that I still get the benefit rolling on two wheels. So I am chill on loose and MTB etc and 'almost' never come off.

Anyway, truly the best All Condition compromise I have ridden to date, where the compromise seems quite small comparatively.

They are Exactly 30mm glued and aired to 85PSi.

Last edited by robt57; 12-03-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:00 PM

@robt57, thanks for the good update. Sounds like you're really happy with them so far. Can you say more about what you see as the situations where they'd be your go-to, and in which situations they'd be ok but you'd prefer something different? Particularly curious about your references to not needing fatter tires.

And have you been able to figure out if they're tubed or tubeless? Or are we waiting for you to run one down to threads first