Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 09:03 AM

Campagnolo 11s Shifters on 12s rear derailleur? Can this work?

Those of you who has successfully installed 12s rear derailleur C/R/SR onto 11s shifters C/R/SR please chime in. This would be for mechanical group and I believe for EPS, it should work because you can dial in the shifts.

Are there any issues or everything works smoothly?

I like that a lot of 12s shifters comes in med cage configuration and can run larger rear cassette.

I know you can covert current 11s to med cage but it would be easier to just buy a 12s if everything works.

Im sure this would be valuable information for everyone who’s interested in doing this.

Everyone knows the price of parts is crazy high so no one wants to experiment only to find out it won’t work.

Last edited by corkycalvin; 12-02-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:04 AM

Bump so that old tater will see it.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
Bump so that old tater will see it.
I 'heard' from a couple of places that a 12s rear der DOES work fine with 11s shifters but haven't tried it. I have taken a 12s shifter apart and the innards look a lot like 11s, with a disc with one more 'notch', so I wonder how they 12s spacing..take up spool dimension or rear der geometry..

I'll add that a 11s rear der DOS work with 10s shifters and the pre-post 2015 gig isn't a show stopper when you need a new rear der(or front for that matter).

And as a further aside...I'm curious what a EKAR shifter guts look like...anybody have one they want to send me?
Old 12-03-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I 'heard' from a couple of places that a 12s rear der DOES work fine with 11s shifters but haven't tried it. I have taken a 12s shifter apart and the innards look a lot like 11s, with a disc with one more 'notch', so I wonder how they 12s spacing..take up spool dimension or rear der geometry..

I'll add that a 11s rear der DOS work with 10s shifters and the pre-post 2015 gig isn't a show stopper when you need a new rear der(or front for that matter).

And as a further aside...I'm curious what a EKAR shifter guts look like...anybody have one they want to send me?
THank you for that update... you saved me a bundle. Although nothing looks better on a work bench than a stack of Campy boxes.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:05 PM

EVERYONE, we need your input for those who has done this.