Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 07:06 AM

Best 700x32c tires for road use.

Hello All,
I have been riding my “All-Road” bike with Maxxis Ramblers 700x38c and it’s time to replace them. I originally put the 38s on it thinking I will be doing more gravel rides, but in reality I have been riding road most of the time.
So, I’m looking at 700x32c tires (without knobs) in an effort to gain more speed and still keep some comfort.
Of course, I’m searching for durability, high mileage use, with some flat protection.
I searched the forum but most of the threads on this topic are old.
Please advise. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Older Than You

Continental GP 5000 700x32. I've seen these on sale online for around $64.
The 700x32 Gravelking Slicks are holding up quite well but the Continentals roll a little better.

Last edited by biker72; 04-19-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
I’m searching for durability, high mileage use, with some flat protection
All the following have tire lineups in 32mm configuration, just depending on the tradeoffs you want:

Compass - most supple of all - which gives a nicer, more comfortable ride but maybe wear out faster
Gravelking Slick - less supple, but more versatile and better able to handle rough roads with the occasional venture into smooth gravel
Pasela - much less supple, but of the three, possibly the most durable, get high mileage and better flat protection, great for commuting
Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM

I’ve been using clement 32, link below, much pricier than I paid now, FYI. They are tubeless and roll nicely with a tiny bit of bite on the sides. They feel a little more solid on hardback dirt I ride frequently vs a pure road tire but definitely don’t bite that much as I recently discovered while pushing their limits on dirt. They are wearing very nicely too showing zero knicks or cuts after maybe five hundred miles of mostly commuting on not so clean streets and many miles on hard pack dirt.

Another option I’ve used is specialized Roubaix tubeless. It is 30/32. Seemed like good tires but i got a flat on the rear quickly so didn’t get a lot of time on them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 AM

If you can find them, Vittoria Voyager Hyper Folding Tire. I run 37 on my Anderson and 32 on my wife's Casseroll. Did really well in the rolling resistance testing, and not pricey. Previous tire was called Randonneur Hyper. Vittoria keeps changing this offering unfortunately, I have a small stock obtained when they went on sale as a closeout.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:56 AM
Member?

I have had good success with Panaracer Pasela's in a 32. Mixed use: dirt, gravel and pavement. My only experience with 32's so only one data point. Wear very well and seemed to roll well and have decent suppleness.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

If the gravelkings are a little more tire than you want, the Panaracer Race Evo A also comes in 32 flavor. Lighter casing, faster rolling. Excel Sports is the only place I've seen them.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Panaracer Gravel King 32's. Have them on several bikes including the Davidson ridden at Eroica several weeks ago. Good roll, glides nicely, acceptable on gravel too. No problem keeping up a 25mph pace on pavement.

I think better than the Pasela and based on my experience, more resistant to puncture.

Have not tried the GP 32's but if they are anything like the 28's, they'll be as good or better than the GK's.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Wei pal quick question. Did you find the Gravel Kings run true to size or do they tend to "grow" a bit?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Wei pal quick question. Did you find the Gravel Kings run true to size or do they tend to "grow" a bit?
They "grow" especially when pair up with a wide profile rim which is what I used. I was counting on them to "grow" :-)

I also have the SK version for gravel and they used to label them as "40" and when I mount them, they come up to about 43. Now, they label them as "43", since then it has stopped "growing". hahaha...

Last edited by weisan; 04-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Continental 4 season 32s. Forum sponsor bike tires direct had a deal for $34 each. Superior tires, very durable, not a cut on them over this winter/gravel, about 2k miles. measure close to a "true" 32 as opposed to my summer gp4ks2 28s (ie I have basically the same width of both at about 33-34mm)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM

Just another data point; Not sure if this is an anomaly, but I have always ridden 25c GP4000 on my road bike, then I recently got a "gravel" bike that I put the slick Compass 32s on(I dont go off road), and while theyre more comfortable, I certainly feel way sluggish climbing some of the really big hills around here. Hard to get used to for me, even at full tire pressure. I may try 28s..
Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Just another data point; Not sure if this is an anomaly, but I have always ridden 25c GP4000 on my road bike, then I recently got a "gravel" bike that I put the slick Compass 32s on(I dont go off road), and while theyre more comfortable, I certainly feel way sluggish climbing some of the really big hills around here. Hard to get used to for me, even at full tire pressure. I may try 28s..
There really is a big difference between 25s and 32s. Seems like high quality 28s would be the sweet spot for you.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Steel..what else??

You should give the GP4000 size 28 a shot.
Beefy enough and nice handling.
Also they run big.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
If the gravelkings are a little more tire than you want, the Panaracer Race Evo A also comes in 32 flavor. Lighter casing, faster rolling. Excel Sports is the only place I've seen them.
I have a set of 32 Panaracer Evo race gravel slicks that I mounted and never rode, but they look like a faster rolling Gravel King. I also like the Gravel Kings in 28 and 32 for the same purposes.

I have at least 3 current bikes with different size Gravel Kings and they have been bulletproof. They last, have puncture protection and roll over pavement better than a lot of more race oriented tires IMO.

If you need a set of 32mm gravel kings or would like to try out the Gravel Race Evo Panaracer I have a new in package set of 32 gravel kings in army green and the gravel race Evo in all black mounted with tubes, but never ridden that I'd sell below retail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk