Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 PM

Eroica California 2019

It is almost upon us. Are you going? Is your bike ready to go? Are you in shape??

I will be attending and riding a 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra of the 56cm variety, sporting most of a Dura Ace 7400 series group - running as 8 speed with 39/53 11-28 gears and shifters that only work in indexed mode (). Some non 7400 Dura Ace parts in there such as the seatpost, shifters, and hubs. 25c continental GP classic tires.
I've been trying to ride it as much as possible to get it dialed in and it's there, but I still haven't attempted to ride it with the toe clips - which I'm slightly concerned about since I'm probably going to wear SPD shoes with the cleat removed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clips.jpg (52.2 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg mks.jpg (138.1 KB, 548 views)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:05 PM

lovely bike !
Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 PM

Looks great!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 PM

I'm definitely going, but I'm not sure which bike I'm bringing yet. My mechanic swears the Bianchi will be ready in time, but I haven't seen any progress on it... So I might be building up my backup Trek in the evenings next week!

I'm camping Saturday night at San Simeon state park if anyone wants to join me. Although they announced free camping recently, a couple months after I reserved the San Simeon site.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 PM

Im riding Nova Eroica on Saturday, and the short course Sunday
Old 03-29-2019, 07:15 AM

I'm in for my fourth time, riding a Davidson. Hoping to do the long route this year but if I can't shake this head cold, will do the Coastal instead.

Curious about which non-DA indexed shifters you're using on your Merckx that work well with a 740X RD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav RS V2.jpg (89.5 KB, 476 views)
Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM

Very nice. I dig the brown Flite saddle. Make sure you cough every time you change gears so nobody hears the clicks.

I’ll be there on my ‘84-‘85 Moser. I put a cheater compact crank on this year as the hard climbs are later in the ride and my fitness is suspect.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
I'm in for my fourth time, riding a Davidson. Hoping to do the long route this year but if I can't shake this head cold, will do the Coastal instead.

Curious about which non-DA indexed shifters you're using on your Merckx that work well with a 740X RD.
They are 9 speed dura ace shifters and the RD is 7402 I believe. I don’t know why they work but the indexing is perfect. I’ve tried the matching 8 speed shifters and they didn’t index that well, and didn’t hold a gear in friction. These ones also don’t like to hold in friction and neither did the simplex retrofrictions I tried. I’ve never had issues with downtube shifters until this bike.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:37 AM
cnighbor2

EROICA 2019 weather

so far I get 20% of rain on Sunday.
what are you finding?
thanks
Charles
Old 03-31-2019, 09:05 PM

One week to go
Old 03-31-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
They are 9 speed dura ace shifters and the RD is 7402 I believe. I don’t know why they work but the indexing is perfect. I’ve tried the matching 8 speed shifters and they didn’t index that well, and didn’t hold a gear in friction. These ones also don’t like to hold in friction and neither did the simplex retrofrictions I tried. I’ve never had issues with downtube shifters until this bike.
Hmmm, don't know why the matching 8-speed shifters didn't work well, but the 9-speeds work because their indexing matches the odd Dura-Ace 8-speed cable pull. These are all great looking bikes, I have a couple friends doing the ride on a Vitus and a Bruce Gordon.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Very nice. I dig the brown Flite saddle. Make sure you cough every time you change gears so nobody hears the clicks.

I’ll be there on my ‘84-‘85 Moser. I put a cheater compact crank on this year as the hard climbs are later in the ride and my fitness is suspect.

Are those cranks the IRD defiant?
Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 AM

always been cururious about these rides.

There is a year in specific about how modern the components can be?

Whats about clothing?? To find old shorts and jerseys is not like a problem but vintage shoes are really hard to find now a days.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Are those cranks the IRD defiant?
Velo Orange , Grand Cru I think. 46-34.

Ultraman - The main thing with Eroica is the bike. Steel frame, downtube friction shifting, brake cables routed over the bars (although I think aero cables are allowed now). No clipless pedals. The vintage clothing is encouraged, but not mandatory. I wear Giro Republic shoes because they look vintage-y and are comfortable. I don’t think the actual components on the bike are required to be vintage era as long as the criteria are met. My bike has ‘84 Record/ Super Record group with exception of the crank. Last year I rode a 52-42 Super Record crank but didn’t think I had the legs to turn that over this year.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
always been cururious about these rides.

There is a year in specific about how modern the components can be?

Whats about clothing?? To find old shorts and jerseys is not like a problem but vintage shoes are really hard to find now a days.
Your bike should be pre 1987, with toeclip pedals, downtube or barend shifters and exposed brake cables. I think that Eroica California makes an exception for the brake cables.

While decent vintage shoes are thin in the ground, its not hard to find slotted cleats that attach to 3-bolt Look-compatible soles.
I have a pair of Dromarti race shoes with Shimano SH-SM31 cleats for vintage cosplay