Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Jeopardy is a bit meh. Much prefer BBC’s University Challenge, even though i know much fewer of the answers on University Challenge.

There’s a video of Stephen Fry terrorizing the opposition. Pretty hilarious
Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 AM

What's amazing to me is how few times this has happened in the history of the show, which ran 1974-'75, 1978-'79, and has been on continuously since 1984.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Classics Fan

the cynic in me wonders if this is all part of a push to grow the show's attention given the very real possibility of Alex Trebek leaving.

I've taken the online jeopardy test 3 times now, and I'm pretty sure if they wanted to end his run that they could find others with near perfect scores to challenge him a bit more.

His playing style is similar to the way Watson went through the board, for what its worth. If you have the ability to recall answers to the hardest questions, then it makes sense to go for them first before your competitors get 'warmed up' on a topic.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Jeopardy is a bit meh. Much prefer BBC’s University Challenge, even though i know much fewer of the answers on University Challenge.

Not familiar with that. I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Much prefer BBC’s University Challenge, even though i know much fewer of the answers on University Challenge.
The episode with contestants from Scumbag College and Footlights College Oxbridge was pretty entertaining.

The Challenge part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYVM4H5_ZY

full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZPZC12t7Yg

Old 04-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Not familiar with that. I'll have to check it out.
you may be pleasantly surprised. Better brush up on your cell bio and biochem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC rider View Post
The episode with contestants from Scumbag College and Footlights College Oxbridge was pretty entertaining.

The Challenge part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYVM4H5_ZY

full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZPZC12t7Yg

that's great! thanks!

Stephan Fry as Lord Snot

they ought to have him as the quiz master; just imagine all the witty snark he'll hurl
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 PM

I watched Jeopardy for the first time today in about 20 years, so I guess he's good for the ratings.

I'm surprised he didn't get the Ferrari Testarossa question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/a...interview.html

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-24-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:

In that case, if It's so easy, you should go on Jeopardy. There is a lot of money to be made. I look forward to seeing you on the show!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
In that case, if It's so easy, you should go on Jeopardy. There is a lot of money to be made. I look forward to seeing you on the show!
well played
Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I offer an unfavorable take at a gameshow that you appear to like (without impugning you per se), and your retort is an ad hominem?

I merely said i know fewer answers on University Challenge than I do on Jeopardy, and state that despite the fact that I know fewer of the answers, I enjoy the other show.

kindly point to where in my original post (see below) I said anything about I would do well in Jeopardy.

Quote:

Last edited by echappist; 04-24-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I offer an unfavorable take at a gameshow that you appear to like (without impugning you per se), and your retort is an ad hominem?

I merely said i know fewer answers on University Challenge than I do on Jeopardy, and state that despite the fact that I know fewer of the answers, I enjoy the other show.

kindly point to where in my original post (see below) I said anything about I would do well in Jeopardy.
No offense meant. It is just that with Jeopardy, your typical contestant has gaps in knowledge: e.g. the time all three missed every single sports question. No one can know it all. University Challenge sounds very hard, but that is much more specific knowledge.
I am willing to bet with the diverse range of subjects Jeopardy has, they would miss more questions than you do.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Interesting analysis on fivethirtyeight on his strategy and some data analysis.

Part of his strategy is to find the daily double, as others have done (locations are not random and there are hotspots), but not too early so that he can build a stack first. Then he bets large. He made a mock-up to practice his buzzer technique.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lved-jeopardy/
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM

Our family watches Jeopardy pretty religiously. Our DVR is set to record every episode and we either watch it later that night, or if we miss a few days, watch a bunch in one sitting.

The show has never seen somebody like him. He is obviously super intelligent with a photographic memory or whatever, but he is also able to recall those facts super quick, and rarely gets a question wrong. He has obviously also studied up on he tactics and using them to his considerable advantage. His gambling background is clearly being used to great effect as well.

The amazing thing to me is not just that he was won I think 15 days in a row now, but the money totals he is winning are off the chart. Ken Jennings averaged I think around $34K per win, James average is more than double that, around $75K! Only once was the game not over before Final Jeopardy.

Whether the show is catering to him I have no idea, but I don't think he needs it. I also thought he was kind of a jerk at first, but have warmed up to him. I think he has worked on his television presence to come across as more personable, and it's worked.

I'm very interested to see how this ends...
Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 AM

He's fun to watch and definitely "brilliant." I bet NBC loves him (he is the only reason I have tuned in the past few nights; first time in 20+ years). It seems to me as if Alex Trebek is not a fan and can't wait to see him lose.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 AM

I like that show but have not had time to watch it. Sounds like someone is giving Ken Jennings a run.