Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
What I find astounding is Campenaerts didn't use a face shield, could be talking nonsense however seem like he could have improved his aerodynamic efficiency markedly by utilizing one?
From the CyclingNews article on what Campenaerts wore:

Quote:
Campenaerts used an HJC Adwatt aero helmet in a custom size to perfectly fit his head dimensions.

"It's the fastest helmet I've ever tested," said Campenaerts, "and it's very specific to me."

While most might have expected the helmet to have been worn with a visor, Campenaerts explained that wind-tunnel testing has revealed that he's actually faster without anything across his face – but that it wasn't the case for everyone, presumably in terms of different face and nose shapes and sizes.

"As opposed to [Lotto Soudal teammate] Tiesj Benoot, who is faster with a visor, my aero performances improve without one," Campenaerts said. "On top of that, it offers me better cooling conditions, because you lose a lot of heat through your head."
Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Just a thought on the location. Should Berlin Marathon records also be sneered at? It is the fastest of the city courses.