Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post

Now onto my current offering - the Onesto XL. It's a 61 by 58.5 cm.

Great read. Mind if I ask what the saddle height is on those bikes as shown? I feel like I could just hop on and ride off with virtually no changes. I’ve had custom bikes from that vintage, with steel dimensions pretty much identical to the thicknesses you describe back then. They really have gotten “beer can thin” almost these days. If I were on the market for a custom steel frame, you’d certainly be someone I talk to, and one of the reasons is the closeness in size of the bikes we ride. I just think that someone who builds and rides about the same size frames has a pretty good understanding of the nuances of a slight change here and there and how that translates into the feel on the road.
Anyway. Thanks again. Enjoying the thread.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
Great read. Mind if I ask what the saddle height is on those bikes as shown? I feel like I could just hop on and ride off with virtually no changes. I’ve had custom bikes from that vintage, with steel dimensions pretty much identical to the thicknesses you describe back then. They really have gotten “beer can thin” almost these days. If I were on the market for a custom steel frame, you’d certainly be someone I talk to, and one of the reasons is the closeness in size of the bikes we ride. I just think that someone who builds and rides about the same size frames has a pretty good understanding of the nuances of a slight change here and there and how that translates into the feel on the road.
Anyway. Thanks again. Enjoying the thread.
My saddle height is 825 center if BB to top of saddle. What is yours?

dave
Old 04-16-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Greg Orivetz.

dave
"Oravetz", I think. He could have been a great classics rider, if his career had gone differently.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
My saddle height is 825 center if BB to top of saddle. What is yours?

dave
804mm from BB center to a straight edge across the top of the saddle. Maybe a dip of 4mm in the middle but the straight edge allows for consistent measurement every time. Frames’ shown probably a little tall for me but not much. 585 top tube based off a 72.8 seat tube angle is about perfect for me, fitwise. 84mm drop from saddle top to top of bars, but unlike you I love the classic bars (Deda Zero 100 Shallow, which aren’t really that “shallow” at 135mm drop), but Campagnolo levers work just perfectly for me with this setup.
Anyway, thanks for the writeup. Still trying to process today’s steel tubing thickness of, what did you say... a little over 0.5mm. Gotta be pretty careful with that and where you lean it as I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to dent.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
"Oravetz", I think. He could have been a great classics rider, if his career had gone differently.
Thank you....yes I spelled it wrong.

I'm friends with him on facebook and he seems like a very cool guy.

dave
Old 04-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
804mm from BB center to a straight edge across the top of the saddle. Maybe a dip of 4mm in the middle but the straight edge allows for consistent measurement every time. Frames’ shown probably a little tall for me but not much. 585 top tube based off a 72.8 seat tube angle is about perfect for me, fitwise. 84mm drop from saddle top to top of bars, but unlike you I love the classic bars (Deda Zero 100 Shallow, which aren’t really that “shallow” at 135mm drop), but Campagnolo levers work just perfectly for me with this setup.
Anyway, thanks for the writeup. Still trying to process today’s steel tubing thickness of, what did you say... a little over 0.5mm. Gotta be pretty careful with that and where you lean it as I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to dent.
You would think that would be the case but the stuff is very hard and very hard to dent. Back in the old days of 531 and Nivachrome if you whacked your top tube with the handlebar it would dent very easily. Not so with 953 because it's so hard. In fact I've never thought of it until now but I have a few hundred bikes out there using 953 and I've never had a customer tell me that they dented a tube.

953 is bizarre to work with. It's so hard that it's only a bit softer than the hacksaw blades used to cut it and if one gets hamfisted with it you'll rip all the teeth off the blade in a hurry. Don't ask me how I know.

Very tough to work with but wonderful to ride....more than worth the effort.

dave
Old 04-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Great insider story about the team car roof racks Dave. That's funny!
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Another shot of two bikes I built nearly thirty years apart.

dave

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the excellent review, Dave. I’ve never read a bike comparison written by someone who is a frame builder and a rider not to mention the builder of each bike. While your comments about the ride are understandably subjective, your insights regarding the construction and materials are illuminating. I also like the way you photographed the bikes. Both bikes are similar, yet very different but certainly representative of the evolution of the craft. I think this should get a wider audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram