Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2023, 07:24 PM

random: anyone pics of rust bucket bikes out there that you still ride regularly?

So I spotted two bikes in my neighborhood yesterday. One was a Gary Fisher big sur and the other a league Fuji road bike. My brother had asked me to be on the lookout for a beater for my nephew who is starting college in the fall. Hacked up Gary Fisher check! Now I have this rusty Fuji sitting in my garage and I am tempted in restoring it. Pretty much all the parts are there (sun tour group looks like). The frame has a ton of rust on it and thinking it might need a spray. Structurally it seems pretty sound , just looks like it had been sitting outside for 10 or 20 years. Curious anyone riding rusty frames out there? They look like crap or have a cool vintage look to them patina to them lol.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:07 PM

This has become my evening beach bike. It's an early 80's Taiwan Schwinn Cruiser. I junked all the original rusted chrome parts and converted it from a coaster brake to 5 speed with aluminum wheels. The 2" tires and sprung saddle are very comfortable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230518_192838.jpg (146.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-22-2023, 09:19 PM

Oh man, yes. The "nice" thing about classic 10-speed bikes is that they were built out of such thick tubing that a little rust is no big deal. Just have to use that Evaporust stuff and the rust comes right off, repaint with nail polish or whatever and Bob's your uncle. I've saved at least a dozen over the years. They make great gifts!

This one:

Became this:

And this one:

Became this:

Anyway, I'll take yer rusty old frame and build it up into a kick-butt city cruiser any day!