Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
So true- the ninja/suicidal trend of black jerseys is beyond
foolhardy— hot in the sun, invisible in low light
or dark conditions. Go hard,go black, die young
but—leave a good looking corpse...
Appreciate the hyperbole, but not sold on the factuality. Many studies indicate the most important Hi-Viz apparel is on the body parts that are in motion, as opposed to something largely static like jerseys or vests.

Quote from a relevant article here:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/does...make-us-safer/

"A reflective jacket, while clearly more effective than simple black clothing, limits reflective material to the rider’s torso which, according to Professor Wood and her colleagues “presents much less motion information to approaching drivers”.

"Reflective strips on the knees and ankles, on the other hand, move up and down as the cyclist moves, helping drivers to better recognise the object in front of them as a moving cyclist, as opposed to a simple light source3.
This finding seems to lead to an obvious recommendation for cyclists: if you want to maximise your safety at night, don’t just wear reflective clothing; ensure that the reflective clothing includes reflective strips worn on the ankles and knees."

Hi Viz socks seem like a good answer. I'm partial to pink anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rapha-Pro-Team-Short-Socks-pink.jpg (33.6 KB, 366 views)
Old 02-02-2020, 08:18 PM

Why not both?

Nice bright jacket with bright booties. I can't think of a reason to wear a black jacket in the winter or evening light except a desire to increase the chances of getting hit.

Bike lights are good, but I've noticed here in Seattle that bike lights get lost in the visual cacophony of car lights, street lights, porch lights, etc. There isn't much flat ground here so a driver can't identify a light by elevation. If the rider is coming towards the driver the light can appear stationary (like a porch light, moving slowly due to the motion of the car).

All over the country drivers are hitting bicycles in broad daylight. I suspect every experienced rider on this forum has a story of nearly getting hit. (I even had a near miss by a policeman on a sunny day while I was in full blazing race kit. He claimed he didn't see me.) Why would anyone trust today's drivers to see them riding in full black in the rain or at night?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:43 PM

This is why I slap my head at people wearing black. This is the jersey I was wearing years ago when a policeman pulled in front of me from a cross road. He had the stop sign, and came to a stop, but then pulled out right in front of me.

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 6.30.48 PM.jpg

He screeched to a halt. I screeched to a halt a foot from his passenger door. If my reaction time had been a tenth of a second slower I would have been under the SUV. Summer day, sunny, no traffic, no distractions, nothing in his sight line, and before cell phones and electronic gizmos in cars.

How many people have a similar story?

And people want to trust today's drivers and wear black in the dark and rain? That just makes me slap my head in disbelief.

OK, enough of the rant about black jackets. Back to the most stylish piece of kit.

Last edited by 9tubes; 02-02-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 PM
formerly Landshark_98

[QUOTE=9tubes;2652183]This is why I slap my head at people wearing black.

Attachment 1697992117

So your story could also prove the point that distracted drivers are distracted drivers and even your highly visible jersey was no better than a black one. I don't disagree that all black on a dark rainy night is at best unwise, particularly those who do so without lights.

I'd say your take on the value of lights highlights the importance of understanding where you are riding and what works and what does not. Just across the sound from you on Bainbridge Island, most of our roads and streets are dark, very dark at night and even in the day lack the cacaphony of visual stimuli that you describe. Over here lights are far and away the most immediately visible signal of a bicycle.

Finally having retired from many years of Seattle City cycling I'm not convinced that in today's Seattle anything you wear or do to make yourself visible on a dark, drenched night in the City is enough to make you safe. Maybe the guy I used to see commuting in full downhill body armor and a full face helmet had the right idea ; )

As to stylishness, unless you are into highly technical looks, I find ithard to argue with the Cafe du Cycliste vibe - lotsa nice pieces on their website.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:02 AM

Same here. The roads in england are dark and damp all winter. When I am out riding, the blinking light both front and back is noticeably from much farther away than any clothing. That's why I ride with my daylights blinking front and back

The one place nothing seems to help is being approached from behind into the sun. Lights, hiViz, doesn't really seem to matter.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:23 AM
ZhugeLiang

Unlike buying expensive bikes, some of these nice-looking kits look better on slender tight-fitting bodies...
Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 AM

Some of the CDC kits are pretty out there indeed.... You are starting to see a few around here though.

Like this as another example

Old 02-03-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Some of the CDC kits are pretty out there indeed.... You are starting to see a few around here though.

Like this as another example

I would buy a yellow w/ black pocket.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 AM

I got hit in a hi viz vest, matching gloves, and reflective ankle bands. Shoes are hi viz as well. I had lights on front and back and the pickup drove across an intersection (he had a stop sign, I didn't) pulled right in front of me. Oh well, people don't see you. I agree to try and stay more visible and the moving parts draw attention to you better, but people walk dogs with 800 lumen flashlights around here, hard to figure out speeds I guess if you're half asleep driving a truck (it was just before dawn but within civil twilight)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:48 AM

I am looking for a new wind gilet as my Assos broke, went to the rapha site..... Black, black or black or maybe white. No more high vis of any sort. Oh well. CDC has some funky looking pink, of course.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I got hit....(it was just before dawn but within civil twilight)
I believe most car>bike accidents happen early morning.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I am looking for a new wind gilet as my Assos broke, went to the rapha site..... Black, black or black or maybe white. No more high vis of any sort. Oh well. CDC has some funky looking pink, of course.
Check Velocio

https://velocio.cc/collections/mens-...softshell-vest

This has nice features:

High collar
Big zipper
Dual zipper
Old 04-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Go to Pas Normal Studios. They've got thicker Shield Gilet's (waterproof/windroof) in some high viz.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Just picked up a PAS Normal long sleeve jersey. My god is it amazing. I have tried them all out there and the fabric is just perfect. I’m hooked and will be selling my other stuff to buy more PNS.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Just picked up a PAS Normal long sleeve jersey. My god is it amazing. I have tried them all out there and the fabric is just perfect. I’m hooked and will be selling my other stuff to buy more PNS.
What's the fit like on the jerseys? European? Size up? Looks to be sized larger than most European brands. I'm 6'0 and 200. I usually take an XL or even an XXL depending on the brand (Isadore/Café du Cycliste) Pas Normal recommends an "L" for me.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 04-26-2020 at 12:41 PM.