Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Like others only buy there, would rather give someone a deal here then pay their fees
You understand your purchases on eBay are what are paying their fees
Old 06-20-2021, 08:13 PM

Have continued to sell some stuff on eBay after the payment process change.
It works, no problems, they now get the % that PP used to make.
Ain’t no big deal.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:50 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
The whole structure of the ACH payment system seems nuts to me. It's the first payment system in America where the recipient initiates and validates the transfer. It seems there are so many ways that could go wrong.

There was a case a few years ago when a business (I think it was an auto body repair shop) had a remote computer hack-in. The thieves used the body shop's ACH capability to remove $500-$1000 from each of the shop's past customers. The banks each refused liability. Note that bank liability is statutorily automatic for checks and credit cards. It's the bank's job to deny a fraudulent presentation of demand for payment, since the bank is in the best position to do so. Not with ACH. The body shop owner was then liable to each of the former customers for a total of about $300k as I recall. The next stop was bankruptcy court.
Are you in the payments business? There is a lot to unpack here...but you are close.

Recipient does does not validate the transfer, but prior to origination, they must authorize it. In writing. Originator (body shop) must provide proof of authorization in any dispute.....

The "hack" mean the body shop "originator" didn't have a secure system. For any ACH originated from it, how was the originating bank supposed to know it was not legit? As long as it conformed to normal transaction activity and limits...

Not sure which bank refused liability, but it is typically with the Originating Financial Institution (ODFI). When a customer says that a transaction was not authorized, the receiving bank (RDFI) can return it....consumers have up to 60 days to return an unauthorized item...businesses have 24 hours.

If the consumers (receivers) returned the entries, the originating bank would charge them back against the originators (Body Shop) account....

You are correct that protection laws for checks and credit cards are different than for ACH...however, consumer receivers of transactions are protected. they just need to reconcile accounts timely (within the 60 days)....

Liability rested with the body shop cuz they didn't have the secure systems....bank probably should have screened the shop more closely, and denied them ACH origination services due to lack of proper system security and protocols. Body shop could have argued ignorance, and that the bank should have let them know the risks, but, you know,....they probably wanted the service cuz it would save them $20 per month in bank fees.....

Just sayin.....ACH Origination isn't for everyone.

Sorry for the drift.....the devil is in the fine print....
Old 06-21-2021, 01:01 AM

Gave up a while ago. Too much hassle. I do sales locally and on Facebook.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:42 AM

I must be one of the few folk that during the account update process eBay requested photo ID in the form of a passport or drivers license before they would allow me to continue to the new payment process.

Call me old fashioned (or even paranoid) but I was not comfortable uploading such a valuable piece of photo ID. Period.

No more selling on eBay for me.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslow View Post
I must be one of the few folk that during the account update process eBay requested photo ID in the form of a passport or drivers license before they would allow me to continue to the new payment process.

Call me old fashioned (or even paranoid) but I was not comfortable uploading such a valuable piece of photo ID. Period.

No more selling on eBay for me.
No--I got the request--so far I have ignored it, the new bank account has been verified and payments have been transferred.

So far, so good. There is some verbiage on the site that it is a statutory requirement for verification--but they can show me the law that requires it before I will comply.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:19 AM

Will eBay act as a intermediary like PP?

In 20+ years buying on eBay and online, I was screwed twice. PP refunded me the money. Will ebay make buyers whole say if the Seller does not deliver or if the Seller sells defective merchandise?

I really should sell some stuff but I gave up selling on eBay long ago.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:03 PM

Did everyone here give up on ebay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
No--I got the request--so far I have ignored it, the new bank account has been verified and payments have been transferred.

So far, so good. There is some verbiage on the site that it is a statutory requirement for verification--but they can show me the law that requires it before I will comply.

Thanks but eBay seemed to have stopped my ability to set up any listings until I verify the account with said photo ID. It might be different for other eBay members.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:15 PM
Randomhead

what do they want you to do with the ID? Scan it?
Old 06-21-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
probably report your sales back to the IRS
Old 06-21-2021, 12:28 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
I would guess they are walking the line of being classified as a Money Services Business, and therefore fall under review of FINCEN and other Patriot Act "Know your customer" rules....anti money laundering and all that.....
Old 06-21-2021, 12:46 PM

I hate that I can't leave awful, idiot buyers negative feedback.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:05 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I would guess they are walking the line of being classified as a Money Services Business, and therefore fall under review of FINCEN and other Patriot Act "Know your customer" rules....anti money laundering and all that.....
my question was more of a practical one, how do they want you to deliver the id? Photoshop okay?
Old 06-21-2021, 01:08 PM

I have not bought or sold anything on eBay in years and from what I am hearing in this thread there is no way in hell I would trust them to have an open pipeline to my bank account. No no no and no way.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
my question was more of a practical one, how do they want you to deliver the id? Photoshop okay?
From what I understand a scanned copy is what they need. But I would like to have clarification--and it is impossible to get through to a live human who knows anything.

My complaint really is that they give you the big rah rah to get you to switch--but absolutely fail to mention that there may be problems "identifying" you--this despite having your current address, phone number, SIN, DOB and a long term relationship.

Instead they are relying on some poorly written automated process that rejects a certain percentage of people because of bad coding--and then somehow it is our responsibility to compensate for their bad programming by sending in personal information that most of us are absolutely reluctant to share with an online company with a spotty record for security.

Plus, instead of foreseeing that there would be problems, and springing for an 800 number and some competent people to solve what are data input/data field problems for those who are rejected--they want us--the user--to make it easy for them.

(If I had done crap like this as head of an IT department--my head would roll.)