Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2021, 03:18 PM

I have not yet accepted the new deal they keep proposing with ebay handeling my payments and such. I dont think i will bother either which i guess will mean i stop selling on ebay if they force me to. Its a bit unclear to me how that works out for non US sellers. Perhaps i can still continue to sell and use paypal.

On another note there was an article in our biggest "paper" here the other day about how paypal had recieved lots of complaints about ppl withdrawing funds but not getting the actual money into their accounts and paypal did nothing about it as they are impossible to get a hold off. Many many complaints and some ppl had been out for months, just like they stole the money or at least left it somewhere and dident bother to check where it was. When ppl were asking for the 10th time they just said they sent and that was it even if the receiving bank had no record of such payments beeing made.

As a test i withdrew a 100 usd to my bankaccount from pp. This was the 12th, on the 16th paypal show transaction completed, still today no money in my bank account :/

Considering i have something thousand on my paypal (only for bike stuff purposes) im wondering whats a safe way to take them out? Perhaps i should just buy bike stuff for it like i used to. My confidence in pp is at an all time low, i feel like my cash could just vanish and there would be nothing i could do about it as pp isent even listed as a swedish company here so no law can really go after them either. Bit weird for such a large company to behave in such a non caring manner.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 06-20-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:24 PM

For some items you just need the reach that eBay offers. For cycling gear there's many outlets but I sold some books, CD's and equipment on Ebay that would never have sold locally. Their new direct payment system sucks but isn't too different from Paypal in the end.

Would love to buy and sell here on the forum but still building my credits to get access to the classifieds section :-)
Old 06-20-2021, 03:55 PM

haven't used it in at least a decade.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:15 PM

Can you say more about what you mean below? Why this payment scheme is different, and its vulnerabilities?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
The whole structure of the ACH payment system seems nuts to me. It's the first payment system in America where the recipient initiates and validates the transfer. It seems there are so many ways that could go wrong.

There was a case a few years ago when a business (I think it was an auto body repair shop) had a remote computer hack-in. The thieves used the body shop's ACH capability to remove $500-$1000 from each of the shop's past customers. The banks each refused liability. Note that bank liability is statutorily automatic for checks and credit cards. It's the bank's job to deny a fraudulent presentation of demand for payment, since the bank is in the best position to do so. Not with ACH. The body shop owner was then liable to each of the former customers for a total of about $300k as I recall. The next stop was bankruptcy court.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:46 PM

I rarely sell on ebay lately but I did link my bank so I could move some items that languished locally. To see if it can be done I looked at account settings and there is NO way to remove your bank account once it is tied to ebay. You would have to close your account or do what others have done, set up another bank account only for ebay and link that one.

It looks like Facebook wants to be the other ebay as they want you to accept payment through them for marketplace sales. Not sure how that works and I won't find out. I would not be surprised if soon they will demand you get paid through them with a fee. Yep, I will do that when pigs fly.

Just sold a complete bike without ebay and was paid with Venmo. Nice.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:04 PM

I’ve had good luck selling bike gear here. I could probably get a few more pennies selling on eBay but I’d rather see it get used within the community and avoid the eBay hassle. I’ve had nothing but great experiences buying here too. I also buy and sell through Facebook Marketplace, but their algorithms make searches all sorts of screwed up so I have the most luck buying and selling on specific groups. I haven’t used the Facebook payment system. I stopped selling on eBay 10 years ago and haven’t bought anything in at least 5. If I were to start buying or selling on eBay again, I’d definitely set up a separate bank account to use only for that purpose.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:35 PM

I am done 100%. They did me dirty on a transaction in the past and because of that there is absolutely no way they will have access to my checking account. I would rather sell here, pinkbike or not sell at all.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
I rarely sell on ebay lately but I did link my bank so I could move some items that languished locally. To see if it can be done I looked at account settings and there is NO way to remove your bank account once it is tied to ebay. You would have to close your account or do what others have done, set up another bank account only for ebay and link that one.

15 seconds of Googling and I came up with "You won't be able to delete your account until about 60 days after your last sale in case there is a problem."

I love Venmo, but only use it with friends & family since there's no built in protection. In person transactions with strangers are cash-only. Internet stuff is eBay or PayPal. Lots of available tools in the toolshed for buying & selling since there isn't one tool to rule them all.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:57 PM

Interesting. After reading your post, I was a bit worried. So, I logged into ebay. I was one step away from removing/deleting my bank account from my ebay account.

I think you should be able to delete your bank account from ebay. Here is a screenshot from the relevant ebay page with my personal infor deleted.

Quote:

It looks like Facebook wants to be the other ebay as they want you to accept payment through them for marketplace sales. Not sure how that works and I won't find out. I would not be surprised if soon they will demand you get paid through them with a fee. Yep, I will do that when pigs fly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021.jpg (26.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 06-20-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I have not yet accepted the new deal they keep proposing with ebay handeling my payments and such. I dont think i will bother either which i guess will mean i stop selling on ebay if they force me to
I havent either. I have some camera stuff that I'd like to move, but it was bad enough with ebay and paypal fees that I'm not linking my bank account to a platform that is so heavily tilted in favor of the buyers to be regularly abused.

F that.

It looks like you cant even list an item without linking your checking account now -

Quote:
When buyers check out, they'll select one of the payment methods offered by eBay. The funds will then be sent to your checking account. You can edit your payout settings under Payments in Seller Hub.

Last edited by .RJ; 06-20-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:27 PM

Like others only buy there, would rather give someone a deal here then pay their fees
Old 06-20-2021, 06:39 PM
Randomhead

I guess I'm going to see what it will take to resurrect my account with the credit union and link that. I just don't want this to affect the main family account
Old 06-20-2021, 06:40 PM

Think ebay shot themselves in the foot.
Not sure why its any different than Paypal, but it is.
FB marketplace and here for now.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:56 PM

My last transaction on ebay was beginning of April. Has anyone actually deleted their bank account from ebay?

I just tried. Same message as always, add before deleting. No other option. If I am missing something please clue me in.
Attached Images
File Type: png Ebay try to delete bank.png (78.8 KB, 227 views)
Old 06-20-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
My last transaction on ebay was beginning of April. Has anyone actually deleted their bank account from ebay?

I just tried. Same message as always, add before deleting. No other option. If I am missing something please clue me in.