Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2021, 01:09 PM
Randomhead

43 pedestrians had been killed in NYC by early May. 70 deaths overall. None caused by cyclists on ebikes.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2021/05/...-is-unchecked/

From the link: 220,000 crashes every year causing roughly 45,000 injuries every year. The NY Post is a propaganda outfit that has a definite anti bike bias. Anything to take the heat off of SUVs from Long Island.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Everybody wants the convenience of fast delivery services, no one wants to deal with the consequences of having them.

Sure, there are some tragic things happening, but in the grand scheme of things is it really a big deal? (unless it happens to you of course)

Well, it’s order that we’re talking about, (i.e predictability), not so much convenience. The bikes move much quicker than cars and are highly efficient while obeying basic traffic laws. Taking a right turn and going around the block adds maybe minute or two and is really a minor inconvenience compared to the genuine risk of using a sidewalk and salmoning against oncoming traffic in a shared bike lane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I don't think this is the case. They are on the sidewalk to save time. Everything is about speed of delivery. Last summer driving cross town was so dangerous because these kamikaze riders would fly down the avenues from all directions running lights. The roads were empty at the time.

NYC already has dedicated bike lanes on many avenues.

I think the issue needing addressing is you have a motorized vehicle with no insurance and no markings.

Companies should be force to carry some sort of umbrella coverage for their delivery people but this goes against the shifting of liability and asset light models they are trying to run.

I wonder if the larger firms have GPS data of the delivery people since everything is tracked which actually shows the amount of law breaking?

Agreed 100%.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:52 PM

Amen. Much bigger fish to fry concerning pedestrian safety in NYC than delivery guys on bikes.

Those guys got it tough enough as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
43 pedestrians had been killed in NYC by early May. 70 deaths overall. None caused by cyclists on ebikes.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2021/05/...-is-unchecked/

From the link: 220,000 crashes every year causing roughly 45,000 injuries every year. The NY Post is a propaganda outfit that has a definite anti bike bias. Anything to take the heat off of SUVs from Long Island.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:54 PM
LateStart

Market-Specific

New York is probably the 'worst case scenario' for transit automation unless there is dedicated infrastructure. I was in the East Village and e-bikes were whizzing by at 20mph with a dangerous speed differential.

If you think about anyplace with warm weather and wide roads it is probably ok other than SUVs running them over from time-to-time. I could see these being popular in Palm Springs, many suburbs with a 'downtown' and housing around it.

They have these operating on corporate campuses today and I could also seem them being great 'neighborhood resources. The ones I have seen have crazy cameras/gps and automation and 'talk' to people in their way and have theft prevention.

It's coming...
Old 06-21-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I think thats a really long way off tbh. Would u want to share the cycle lane with automated pods? I sure would not. Their own lane? That sounds expensive and not a great use of crowded cities.

Will ppl come down to the street to get their food? Will it be hot? how many pranks will be torn the pods over on the back and what not.

Nah long way off before reality imo.
Drone deliveries en masse are going to be a thing in the next 5-10 years.

We already have them here, in Australia of all places, in select suburbs where they are 'mapping the sky' for pilot programs. You can get a coffee delivered by drone if you're in the right place.

Yes there are challenges around this but the whole premise of woefully unprofitable firms like Uber is to establish a brand (at immense cost to shareholder) in order to profit when they don't need to pay drivers or 'delivery artists'.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:30 PM

Speaking of liability, Really interested to see how the drone thing will pan out in a place like NYC.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:06 PM

Wrong way riding is done to save time and energy. Less time per run = more time to make money overall. Of course, I realize that there are laws and the wellbeing of other street/road users to consider.

There are smart ways and stupid ways to get around. Kind of like Neo defying the rules of the matrix. Not everyone has the gift.

There are so many ppl on the streets with e-bikes, revel scooters, fixies and others so if they all defy the laws the result would be absolute chaos.

Overall I think courier services in NYC will never be completely automated by drones because of factors such as weather and user error. Customers enter wrong addresses, live in walk ups, and want their order left at the door(which usually requires photo verification on the part of the driver). It’s a job that requires a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried bake View Post
Well, it’s order that we’re talking about, (i.e predictability), not so much convenience. The bikes move much quicker than cars and are highly efficient while obeying basic traffic laws. Taking a right turn and going around the block adds maybe minute or two and is really a minor inconvenience compared to the genuine risk of using a sidewalk and salmoning against oncoming traffic in a shared bike lane.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:34 AM

“We’re a long way off from automated delivery”

You sure about that ?

Old 06-22-2021, 06:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Everybody wants the convenience of fast delivery services, no one wants to deal with the consequences of having them.

Sure, there are some tragic things happening, but in the grand scheme of things is it really a big deal? (unless it happens to you of course)
agree! there are no option to not accepting their tragic