Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
One of my favorite pieces is my Patagonia sun hoody. I wear it for all outdoor activities besides cycling and hiking. For hiking I have a vivid white REI long sleeve button down Sahara.

I’ve yet to try a summer long sleeve jersey and am quite happy with sun sleeves by pearl Izumi.
Yeah, the Patagonia Sun Hoody is great. I typically wear it when kayaking, as I get the reflected rays from the water as well, and my pasty Scots skin can burn quickly (it certainly started to in the Salar de Uyuni - look it up).

While I love Patagonia for more than one reason, other manufacturers make similar products. If they have the little hand coverings with loops, that's even better. You don't need to use the loops if you don't want to.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
well, maybe start with growing a beard?
Ooh. Ow. Ouch. That hurts.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I don't quite get it.

I was offered a pretty good deal on a LS Summer jersey from a company I really like (OrNot) but there was a significant stumbling block: what would I use it for? (Not to mention my little atelier is becoming a clothing outlet).

I mean, if it's going to be sunny and warm, with a crisp start, why not wear a gilet with arm warmers and remove them when necessary? And then repeat said process with it cools down later in the ride.

Am I missing something? I'm willing to be educated.

*Cgolvin. I threw in a dangling participle. Just to piss you off.
Come on down to Texas in August and September. Sunblock doesn't do a thing. Also the heat from the sun can be brutal from 11AM until 4PM.

Many cyclists here wear white arm "warmers" or long sleeve jerseys to protect their arms.

This morning I was on the road at 5:30 AM, home at 8. Being a ginger sun, especially summer sun isn't my friend.

After 56 trips around the sun combined with year round sports my skin is getting a bit leathery and I've had a permanent tan/freckle line on my arms.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:13 PM

I've decided to heed the collective wisdom of the Paceline. Got a screaming good deal on this.

I had a funny conversation with the dude who sold it to me. I mentioned that I thought it would come in handy.

"Yeah," he said. "It gets brutally cold here."

"What do you mean?" I responded. "It's 85 degrees here now. And it's going to be hotter soon."

He looked at me and laughed.

"Oh, so you're one of those dudes that starts his rides at 11 A.M."

Guilty as charged. But after reading this thread (particularly Big Dan's reply) I'm going to change my ways. And this jersey should come in handy.

OrNot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7763.jpg (144.2 KB, 202 views)
Old 06-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Boeuf Chane

1) I assume there are "hot weather" LS jerseys, and "cool weather" LS jerseys. is that correct?

2) If you don't know anything about a particular brand or model is it possible to tell what type a given jersey is?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
1) I assume there are "hot weather" LS jerseys, and "cool weather" LS jerseys. is that correct?

2) If you don't know anything about a particular brand or model is it possible to tell what type a given jersey is?
Cool weather LS jerseys will often be thermal. Lots of those around. This OrNot jersey is a “warm weather” LS jersey that I didn’t know I needed until I started the thread.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:46 PM
Boeuf Chane

Another thing worth pointing out for hot weather / humidity characteristics of jersey material is how they behave when soaking wet and if they give you a case of the dreaded "nipple burn" on long rides.

Of all my short-sleeve jerseys I think my Waterford is probably my favorite in terms of color and design. However, it's also the worst one I have in super hot and sweaty weather when it comes to nipple burn. I assume it's because of the coefficient of friction of the material when wet compared to all of my other jerseys.

(sorry if this was TMI)

Not me vvvvvvv

Last edited by Louis; 06-18-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
well, maybe start with growing a beard?

I believe he’s referring to my bearded modeling pics that are on Ornot’s site

Ps: josh if you come into the ornot store this weekend, you might get some beard wisdom in person...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2021, 08:56 PM
Steel..what else??

This info is from the web. UV Index explained.

Interpretation of the UV Index
Description UV Index Sun Protection Actions
Low 0-2

Minimal sun protection required for normal activity.
Wear sunglasses on bright days. If outside for more than one hour, cover up and use sunscreen.
Reflection off snow can nearly double UV strength, so wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen on your face.

Moderate 3-5

Take precaution by covering up, and wearing a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen, especially if you will be outside for 30 minutes or more.
Look for shade near midday when the sun is strongest.

High 6-7

Protection required - UV damages the skin and can cause sunburn.
Reduce time in the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and take full precaution by seeking shade, covering up exposed skin, wearing a hat and sunglasses, and applying sunscreen.

Very High 8-10

Extra precaution required - unprotected skin will be damaged and can burn quickly.
Avoid the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and seek shade, cover up, and wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.

Extreme 11+

Take full precaution. Unprotected skin will be damaged and can burn in minutes. Avoid the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., cover up, and wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
Don’t forget that white sand and other bright surfaces reflect UV and increase UV exposure.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
I believe he’s referring to my bearded modeling pics that are on Ornot’s site

Ps: josh if you come into the ornot store this weekend, you might get some beard wisdom in person...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha. I’ll make sure to bring along my notebook, Luc

P.S. Does the store carry any items that are out of stock online? Definitely might be worth a visit to the City …
Old 06-18-2021, 11:29 PM

There's a reason offshore or inshore fishermen wear long sleeves in otherwise very sunny locals.

Performance fabric works wonders!
Old 06-18-2021, 11:40 PM
shimergo

That's a sweet jersey in a great color.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:50 PM
Administrator

For riding trails and long days bumming outside I recently picked up a few Duluth Trading Company man's Shunburn Long Sleeve Crew shirts. UPF 50 rating, light weight, comfortable and they don't stick when you sweat. They also have a hooded version. Two of the available colors kind of make me feel like a giant Skittle, but hey it's summer and bright colors are in.

W.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:16 AM

I like this Voler LS jersey linked below. Very light weight, excellently white, cut right. It actually is too cool for many Bay Area rides, so I have another identically cut version in some sort of supposedly thermal waffle fabric which is surprisingly airy feeling too, but less so. Oh, and it is a measly $65 bucks, so get a couple.

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1010H30
Old 06-19-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Let me get this straight, you’re wondering why someone would wear a one piece top when your solution is to wear three pieces? Hmm…what could be the reason?!
Four pieces — two arm warmers, “gilet,” and SS jersey. Well, to be accurate, XXT had two arms when I last saw him, so assuming two arm warmers.

Last edited by Waldo62; 06-19-2021 at 01:29 AM.