Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2021, 10:03 AM

I live here too. I also work closely with researchers on this and have been deep in the data on this.

Again, this time with sources: while homicides and shootings have ticked up slightly, overall, crime is down in NYC (source) - and even this uptick in shootings and homicides leaves us lower than just a few years ago (see image).

And even though the police do plenty of fearmongering, their official position is that the rise is something that people feel more than experience. On subway crime:
Quote:
Kathleen O’Reilly, the Police Department’s transit bureau chief, has criticized what she calls “continued fearmongering.”

“It’s a disservice to New Yorkers to advance a narrative that crime is soaring in the subways when it’s simply not the case,” she told transit officials at an agency board meeting in April.
"I see it on the news, Citizen app" - This is basically exactly what I'm talking about, so thanks for saying it. The newsmedia overemphasizes violent crime. Perceptions of safety and crime can be very different from the actual facts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crime.jpg (51.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:32 AM

PL really selling NYC lol. anyone who rides in the city, or any big city for that matter, is gonna encounter "beyond imagination" situations. just stay frosty on those commutes in/out of the city. at the end of a long ride getting back home and avoiding these types of situations is the hardest part.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:56 PM

It could have been random. On the other hand there could have been words said that angered the suspect and provoked him to stab the rider.

I wonder if they'll even find the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Old 06-21-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post
It could have been random. On the other hand there could have been words said that angered the suspect and provoked him to stab the rider.

I wonder if they'll even find the guy.
From what appears to be a militia style camo balaclava and 8-10" hunting or chef's knife I'd say it is more likely that it was planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
...while homicides and shootings have ticked up slightly, overall, crime is down in NYC (source) - and even this uptick in shootings and homicides leaves us lower than just a few years ago (see image).
But on the other hand it is worth noting that racially and religiously motivated hate crimes have spiked in recent years after years of decline. Hate crimes overall are at their highest since 2008. This is nationwide; not sure the picture in NYC.