Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 06:37 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
um... remind me again, who won last year?
Some Slovenian dude.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:57 PM

Out of Pog and Rog, I'd put my money on Pog for sure. He has looked really good and certainly hasn't rested on his laurels following last year's win. Plus he's on a 'Nago.

It's weird that Ineos are the underdog, but as others have said they've got 3 GT winners plus Richie who looks amazing right now. The dynamics just within the team will be interesting for sure.

But as always with GC over 3 weeks, there is an element of luck that gets thrown into the mix.

The Wout v MvDP thing will be cool to watch play out, you have to feel that Matthieu has the advantage in that he doesn't have to ride for anyone else - but then again, he's not yet done a GT so it's still got of mystery around it.

Should be a good edition.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:17 PM

Ji-Moo, are you getting paid per keystroke, or just saving energy?
Old 06-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
how about bets on what stage Garaint Thomas be involved in a crash?
Easy money.... all of them!

Truly the Johann Zarco of cycling.

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 06-09-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Member?

How 'bout Van der Poel for the green jersey?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:19 AM

Home Team?

It has been 36 years since the Badger won one for the home team, maybe JA has adjusted his training and can ride it out the full three weeks this time? He and DQS have said he will not ride for the GC, but will target stage wins instead, perhaps that was a ploy to get the dogs off the hunt.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinz View Post
It has been 36 years since the Badger won one for the home team, maybe JA has adjusted his training and can ride it out the full three weeks this time? He and DQS have said he will not ride for the GC, but will target stage wins instead, perhaps that was a ploy to get the dogs off the hunt.
One of the great things about watching Alaphilippe ride is the sheer emotion he brings to the act. He attacks because he feels like attacking, he goes again because that is what the peloton least expects, he burns temporary compatriots in a breakaway rather than works with them, he sits back when he should be attentive, he puts all his energy into a downhill slalom yet knows full well he can never take enough time for it to matter.

Sometimes it works. Day after day it does not. He is ill-disciplined but joyous.

In short, all the things which make him so enjoyable to watch mean he will not win the Tour.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
One of the great things about watching Alaphilippe ride is the sheer emotion he brings to the act. He attacks because he feels like attacking, he goes again because that is what the peloton least expects, he burns temporary compatriots in a breakaway rather than works with them, he sits back when he should be attentive, he puts all his energy into a downhill slalom yet knows full well he can never take enough time for it to matter.

Sometimes it works. Day after day it does not. He is ill-disciplined but joyous.

In short, all the things which make him so enjoyable to watch mean he will not win the Tour.

Except when he is involved in a contested sprint finish!
Old 06-10-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
How 'bout Van der Poel for the green jersey?
I am pretty sure he plans to exit the Tour early to prepare for the Olympics.
He has stated that getting the Gold at the Olympic MTB race is his #1 goal for 2021.

Perhaps next year
Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 AM

Does anyone know whether the tour is being shown this year on DIRECTV NBCSN channel 220 as it has been for years now? I heard back at the beginning of the year about NBCSN shutting down at the end of 2021 but that the tour would be shown this year as normal. Then over the past month or so seems like I see some sites that appear to say it will be shown as normal on NBCSN and some that say nope, you have to sign up for a streaming service to watch it at all. Which makes me nervous because we live in the boonies where DSL is as good as it gets. I thought I had a year to sort all this out but I also don't want to wait until the last minute since the tour starts on the 26th. If I have to give Roku or something like that a shot I'd rather try it and see if it works this weekend and at least know whether I'm going to be able to watch it at all this year. thanks
Old 06-11-2021, 08:53 AM

I haven't read through the whole thing, but hopefully this will help you figure out if you will get the coverage via DirecTV
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/how...and-streaming/
Old 06-11-2021, 09:40 AM

I want to see Cavendish racing and getting one more stage win!!!!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:54 PM

Thomas looked very good at the Dauphine’, as did Porte. And Ganna. And…well, the whole freaking team looks tanned, rested and ready to steamroll.

Not an Ineos fan, myself, but they look awfully strong and terrifically well organized.

Hoping for One More Greenie for Sagan, but Sam could do it again.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Ad-free Peacock Premium Plus, $9.99/month. Figure I'll subscribe for that coverage during the TdF and in October for Paris-Roubaix. Otherwise, I'll stick with the $4.99 Premium coverage and suffer through some commercials.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...9&postcount=10

Greg
Boo. Peacock app is only available on a 2017 or later Samsung tv that has Airplay? No native app available. Also just figured out HBO Max doesn't either though I realize this is OT. How often do TVs date out of being supported by newer apps anyway?
Old 06-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Boo. Peacock app is only available on a 2017 or later Samsung tv that has Airplay? No native app available. Also just figured out HBO Max doesn't either though I realize this is OT. How often do TVs date out of being supported by newer apps anyway?
wait, really? that's crazy. i dont even remember what kind of tv i have. maybe it works through a firestick? what a bunch of nonsense to have to figure out.
Closed Thread