Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2021, 01:40 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
my question was more of a practical one, how do they want you to deliver the id? Photoshop okay?
Hah! yeah, I saw that after I posted...misinterpreted "how" as "why"....doh. Mondays....
Old 06-21-2021, 07:25 PM

It has worked fine for me....never a problem one. Stuff that doesn't sell here...and there's been plenty...always ends up on the dreaded 'Bay. Don't recall having to scan any ID.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 06-21-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
From what I understand a scanned copy is what they need. But I would like to have clarification--and it is impossible to get through to a live human who knows anything.

My complaint really is that they give you the big rah rah to get you to switch--but absolutely fail to mention that there may be problems "identifying" you--this despite having your current address, phone number, SIN, DOB and a long term relationship.

Instead they are relying on some poorly written automated process that rejects a certain percentage of people because of bad coding--and then somehow it is our responsibility to compensate for their bad programming by sending in personal information that most of us are absolutely reluctant to share with an online company with a spotty record for security.

Plus, instead of foreseeing that there would be problems, and springing for an 800 number and some competent people to solve what are data input/data field problems for those who are rejected--they want us--the user--to make it easy for them.

(If I had done crap like this as head of an IT department--my head would roll.)

AI baby, the black box answerable to nobody
Old 06-21-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Are you in the payments business? There is a lot to unpack here...but you are close.

Recipient does does not validate the transfer, but prior to origination, they must authorize it. In writing. Originator (body shop) must provide proof of authorization in any dispute.....

The "hack" mean the body shop "originator" didn't have a secure system. For any ACH originated from it, how was the originating bank supposed to know it was not legit? As long as it conformed to normal transaction activity and limits...

Liability rested with the body shop cuz they didn't have the secure systems....bank probably should have screened the shop more closely, and denied them ACH origination services due to lack of proper system security and protocols.
Let's compare to credit cards. Someone lifts your wallet and uses the bank card at a store. Or steals your checks and presents a check to a store. The bank cannot say...tough luck, it's your liability for the charges "because you didn't have a secure system." The checking and cc systems for decades have put the burden on the banks to have systems to prevent fraud because they are in far better position to do so.

The banks would like a financial system that trends away from their prior duties because the duties are costly. They are getting there a step at a time.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Have continued to sell some stuff on eBay after the payment process change.
It works, no problems, they now get the % that PP used to make.
Ain’t no big deal.
Just sold a Huret Jubilee rear derailleur last night for a nice round $100. When I went to check on the fees, they were $14.14. Kind of an odd percentage, then I checked:

Seems like kind of a crock that I pay a fee based, in part, on the sales tax eBay collected from the buyer.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Seems like kind of a crock that I pay a fee based, in part, on the sales tax eBay collected from the buyer.
thats bull****
Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Just sold a Huret Jubilee rear derailleur last night for a nice round $100. When I went to check on the fees, they were $14.14. Kind of an odd percentage, then I checked:

That really is a gratuitous middle finger extended to you, their customer.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
That really is a gratuitous middle finger extended to you, their customer.

They’re really bad with fees. I sold a bike last year and charged actual shipping…which was expensive, around $300 (CDN$$)
They charge me fees on the shipping charge that I collected. I lost money on the shipping. Fees on total sale, fees on shipping, fees on transferring the money….it’s crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2021, 02:12 PM

I just bought some bike stuff on eBay, I was able to pay with PayPal.

eBay did not require access to my checking account.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM

Oh yeah, I was not happy when I found out I was paying fees on shipping. Just an observation I had before I quit using ebay, I was having a massive number of non-paying bidders on items. It started right after eBay started collecting sales tax.

Mentioned earlier in this thread, eBay is not worth the hastle for me. It was a good run though, I sold TONS of bike parts to all parts of the world for close to 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
They’re really bad with fees. I sold a bike last year and charged actual shipping…which was expensive, around $300 (CDN$$)
They charge me fees on the shipping charge that I collected. I lost money on the shipping. Fees on total sale, fees on shipping, fees on transferring the money….it’s crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2021, 03:21 PM
Randomhead

Ebay has been really good to me. I have heard the horror stories. I have mostly given up on selling bike parts though, although I have some nice classic Campagnolo spare parts that would probably do pretty well.

There are things I own that I really couldn't sell anywhere else, mostly industrial parts I bought to get my milling machine running (if only). Thanks for everyone that helped me understand the new payment system better. I don't like paying fees either, but what can I do. Sit on the stuff until it goes to the dump after my death, or get rid of it?
Old 06-22-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I just bought some bike stuff on eBay, I was able to pay with PayPal.

eBay did not require access to my checking account.
As a buyer, you're fine. The extra access / intrusiveness comes when you're a seller.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:12 PM

Last edited by smontanaro; 06-22-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 06-22-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
As a buyer, you're fine. The extra access / intrusiveness comes when you're a seller.
Thanks. I missed that part. I hit the BIN and was worrying I had to show my papers, bitte.

I stopped selling on ebay some years ago, their fees are ridiculous.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:42 PM
Registered (ab)User

Having not sold anything on ebay in probably half a dozen years, I'm totally out of the loop: Can someone summarize these "new payment terms" that everyone's all riled up about?