Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 01:27 PM
what's a little rust?

Log Lady is one of the best model names going.

I'd like to try a rigid + SS Jones in the future, when Jeff has frames back in stock.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:42 PM

I have 2. Gary Fisher Rig (29er) and it rides pretty awesome. I think riding it has made me stronger on my road bikes. It's alot of fun and reminds me of my bmx days as a kid.

Can do 30ish mile rides at 4kft on it. You can't really plow through rock gardens so it forces you to pick lines and pay attention to your weight transfer all the time. All good things imo.

Also have a trek 930 with 2.5inch tires....this is more of my kid hauler but have tried on th trail.

I would say...build one for cheap and try it out.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
You can't really plow through rock gardens so it forces you to pick lines and pay attention to your weight transfer all the time. All good things imo.

Agree on both these points. My only MB currently is a Specialized Chisel SS. It's pretty twitchy (not modern geo) but crazy light and tons of fun...until it's not. I was ripping along a local trail yesterday, but then got bounced around on dried mud. I won a few MB races on SSMB a few years back, but I could never do the longer races because it beat me up.

I'm focusing on CX racing this fall, so I find this rigid setup an easier transition from when I had a full susp. MB (I caught myself trying to load my shocks to jump on my CX bike...not a good skill that transferred).
Old 06-18-2021, 02:48 PM

My beautiful Swift, which I haven't ridden in a couple years, is a blast. Such a fun bike. I really love my Spur right now though.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Log Lady is one of the best model names going.

I'd like to try a rigid + SS Jones in the future, when Jeff has frames back in stock.
Sadly they only ran the model for 1 1/2 seasons before they discontinued it. Who would have guessed that a rigid steel 27.5 suspension corrected singlespeed with a steep head angle and super high bottom bracket wouldn’t have appealed to the masses?!

It was the first frame they did with their custom ACE tubing (equivalent to OX Plat) which was an odd frame choice for a tube set debut.

I keep thinking I’ll replace it with something custom but always come back to the question of “why?” And the only good reason is vanity. For an off the peg bike, it’s perfect and I’d probably just mimic the geo anyway.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
I have 2. Gary Fisher Rig (29er) and it rides pretty awesome. I think riding it has made me stronger on my road bikes. It's alot of fun and reminds me of my bmx days as a kid.

Can do 30ish mile rides at 4kft on it. You can't really plow through rock gardens so it forces you to pick lines and pay attention to your weight transfer all the time. All good things imo.

Also have a trek 930 with 2.5inch tires....this is more of my kid hauler but have tried on th trail.

And that’s up rock gardens as well as down! Due to running a higher gear, the low cadence requires good line choice and proper crank timing/ratcheting or those pedals go SLAP. A good skill to have.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
And that’s up rock gardens as well as down! Due to running a higher gear, the low cadence requires good line choice and proper crank timing/ratcheting or those pedals go SLAP. A good skill to have.
Agreed! I just got a gravel bike and have been riding the same trails I did with my single speed rigid. The gravel is 2x11 so it's taking some getting used to with the climbs. With my rigid SS - I always know what gear I am in so it's more about line picking , cadence, weight shift to get up those hills. Now I need to add another element (making sure I have am in the right gear) before going into a climb. Hoping in the long run the climbs will be easier with more gearing and easier on my knees.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:26 PM
n - 1

The only mountain bike I ride is a SS rigid. Mostly around No Utah, but plenty of miles in So Utah, Moab, CO as well.

Typical set up is 2.4” front and 2.3 rear. For chunky rides (ie Whole Enchilada), the 29x3” wheels get tagged in.

I’ve had a Niner Sir9 as well (like the poster above) which was a fantastic bike. Only negative was the rear tire clearance (2.2” max).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7E1C873-14CA-46BC-9E7A-F61A161E168C.jpg (117.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:40 AM

Simworks has a cool new rigid build, looks like a cool ride if you have the $$$!

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-19-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:06 AM

I have a 2015(?) Niner Sir9. 852 steel frame, older geometry (steep HA).

It's seen two set-ups over the years. Usually it's geared with a steel fork for bike-packing.

But, today, it's SS with a carbon fork from Whisky for local XC races (suburban trails). Pretty middling build... SLX brakes, SLX crank, Stans Arch S1 wheel set, 2.2" Rekon Race tires, Enve post, Bontrager bar and Easton stem. Haven't weight it, but it's WAY lighter than my 28lb Fuel EX.

Gearing choices are 34 or 36t rings and 18 or 20t cogs. Currently 34x18 for the next race, probably 36x18 for the summer weeknight series (not much elevation).

It's fun for shorter rides (next race will be ~1:45, summer weeknight races are <45 min). I wouldn't want to ride it much further with the rigid fork.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:08 PM

I like others, reach for the ss 90% of the time.

Having a good fork and big tire up front will help eat up the terrain. Here in SoCal we have chunk, gardens, smooth ST, sand, you name it. You also have to climb for hours at a time, which is where the ss shines IMO. I feel riding the ss makes you a better rider when you switch bikes (you will always find yourself picking better lines both climbing, and descending on these).

Definitely recommend it.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:24 PM

Riding a rigid single speed for years (and really only that mostly) definitely permanently conditioned me to pick the ideal line. It has transitioned nicely to my gravel bike that I feel is smoother than the mtb I used to ride with same size tires due to wonderful wide rims and better tubeless tech.

I’ve been chewing on getting another now that I have many trails nearby!
Old 05-10-2022, 12:45 PM

A SSMTB wouldnt be ideal for the tech trails in my community, but I am drawn to getting one. Nothing boutique - it would be an old junker converted.

I set up my Redline as SS with a White Industries ENO wheelset, and it was pretty fun, but ya know, sold the wheels
Old 05-10-2022, 12:47 PM

Used to have this Matt Chester when I lived in New England. Was super fun on trails, old carriage roads and OHV tracks. Definitely carried it through the woods a few times, but all part of the fun.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellvetica View Post

Definitely recommend it.
That's hot.

What's it weight? Sub-20?