Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
AKA C5 Golfer

Width of a Easton EC90 SLX3 - Dave??

Anyone have experience on the width that is actually at the Shifters? the width specified is at the bar end.
Thanks in advance

Maybe Dave will weigh in since he likes these guys on his bikes.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 AM

On mine, in a 40 cm c-c width at least, the rise of the bars is perfectly vertical so the width at the lever clamp is same as at the bar ends.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:38 PM

I just picked up a set of Easton SLX3 bars in 44cm (measured center-to-center) and was pleasantly surprised to find that the bar actually measures 46 at the drops and 44cm at the hoods. However, unlike other bars that flare (e.g. 3T ergonova), Easton's hava a very consistent flare that covers the length of the hook so as no to appear like a sweep...in other words, the flare is almost un-noticable, even though there is a full 2cm difference in width (or 1cm at each end).

Lou
Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Same experience here, the width at the shifters was about 1cm narrower than the width at the drops.
So my 44cm bar measured -just- under 43cm at the shifters. Very nice bars.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta
I just picked up a set of Easton SLX3 bars in 44cm (measured center-to-center) and was pleasantly surprised to find that the bar actually measures 46 at the drops and 44cm at the hoods.

Lou
Lou,

It sounds like you were actually sold the '46' width, as they are sized by the width at the drops.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 AM

OldGuy, that is what I suspected as well, but the bars are in fact stamped as 44cm width on the bars. Perhaps a misprint on the label of my bars (a welcome one for me....I really like the wider bars) because I doubt that the 46cm bar would measure 48 at the drops (never seen a 48 cm bar). A mystery?
lou
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 AM

I've got three of these bars. Mine measure 40cm c-c at the ends, but no more than 39cm at the brake hoods.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Oldguy & Dave, I just double checked the label on the bars... I originally thought it was an actual sticker from the manufacturer which had labeled the bars as 44cm when in fact it is only a stick on label most likely from the bike shop (albeit quite official looking). I think you are right...what I have are in fact what Easton calls 46cm measured at the drops (44 at the hoods).

Took my first ride on them today and was surprised that they were not springy or flexy as I had read in several reviews. In fact I found them to be stiffer then both the Bontrager VR and Deda Newton aluminum bars. The shorter reach and shallow drops are great...finally have everything dialed in.
Lou