Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 03:32 PM

Quieter Brakes? Disc vs. Rim

I LOVE my Ultegra 800 hydraulic disc brakes on three of my bikes. I'm INSANE about keeping rotors trued, but despite thru axles and a solid set-up, I occasionally get rotor-rub on really hard efforts. I'm 6'4" and 180 pounds, so that has A LOT to do with it. My "best" bike is a 2018 Trek Domane SLR8 carbon frame and Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels, so it's it not the bike's fault!

I'm considering adding a Trek Madone to the stable, but I want quiet!!! So, I'm considering rim brakes rather than discs on the new bike.

Just for clarification, the issue that bothers me is the rotor just lightly hitting the pads inside the caliper every rotation. Nothing worse than a hard effort up a hill and hearing that shrill rubbing noise every rotation of the wheel!! Braking noise itself is not my concern.

Thoughts????

Thanks,
Darrin

Last edited by DarrinNYC; 09-21-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:04 PM

Deal with it? Hopefully you’re pedaling more than braking? Try to get the rotors hot at the start of every ride and burn off any contamination?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 PM
aka RAEKWON

carbon rim brakes can also be pretty loud so that is something to consider.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 PM

bontrager cork pads were good, and quiet on carbon wheels. fwiw. I had the madone 500 level for a race bike and ran stinger6's. no issues whatsoever... a little bit soft in the wet but in the dry they are strong
Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Perhaps I am wrong but it sounds like the OP is talking about brake rub under pedal pressure rather than braking noise while braking...
Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewheels View Post
Perhaps I am wrong but it sounds like the OP is talking about brake rub under pedal pressure rather than braking noise while braking...
Correctamundo!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:20 PM

FWIW high end rim brakes with koolstops have always been exceptional for me with the right hood engagement (new campy). I dont think youd be disappointed. I am surprised youre getting rotor rub on trued rotors. Are you sure that your calipers are centered ?

Can you set up an adjustable pad brake like the spyre to accommodate a hair more rotor clearance with a little more cable pull ?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:21 PM

I have the same peeve. Oddly, I get less rotor rub with my old Tarmac disc with flimsy QR axles than I do on my newer Roubaix with 12mm thru axles. One reason is that I run a 140mm rotor on the front on the Tarmac, so less deflection than with a larger rotor. I think the pads don't always retract properly. I was hoping the latest gen of Shimano would fix this, but it didn't. I can make it slightly better by periodically pulling the pads, squeezing the lever to expose the pistons, and cleaning them. Not sure if oil would help or hurt here so I don't do that. Meantime, direct mount brakes with one of the newer carbon brake tracks are damn good.

I also hate that my discs howl in the wet....but resin pads help a lot with that.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:36 AM

This is the reason i would not buy discs for a road bike. Well one of them.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:54 AM

Maybe I am not putting in a lot of watts, but I've never had this problem yet with my R8000s. I've had rubbing when brakes weren't bled with the calipers fully "open" and when using a weirdly thick rotor, but that's it.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:47 AM

In my opinion when standing to climb the entire operation is flexing, causing rub on the rotor.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinNYC View Post
I LOVE my Ultegra 800 hydraulic disc brakes on three of my bikes. I'm INSANE about keeping rotors trued, but despite thru axles and a solid set-up, I occasionally get rotor-rub on really hard efforts. I'm 6'4" and 180 pounds, so that has A LOT to do with it. My "best" bike is a 2018 Trek Domane SLR8 carbon frame and Mavic Cosmic carbon wheels, so it's it not the bike's fault!

I'm considering adding a Trek Madone to the stable, but I want quiet!!! So, I'm considering rim brakes rather than discs on the new bike.

Just for clarification, the issue that bothers me is the rotor just lightly hitting the pads inside the caliper every rotation. Nothing worse than a hard effort up a hill and hearing that shrill rubbing noise every rotation of the wheel!! Braking noise itself is not my concern.

Thoughts????

Thanks,
Darrin
Looking at the clearances involved with disc brake pads and rotors, I’m not sure there is a solution. Throw in very thin rotors, not insignificant heat.....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-22-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
This is the reason i would not buy discs for a road bike. Well one of them.
Yeah, noise, bent rotors, pads that don't fully retract, rapid wear, etc. I know disk brakes work better in many conditions but I, for one, will continue to hold out. Maybe in a few more years, if I ever get a new bike. That is the problem with having a couple really nice bikes, makes improving on what you have nearly impossible.

Tim
Old 09-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Total Fred

In 10 years, they'll be selling us these newfangled 622 rotors with aluminum braking surface built right into the rim. It will dissipate heat really well, almost never rub, and make the bike lighter. People will be amazed that this technology exists and everyone will be selling their old bikes to buy into this new tech.

Tai
Old 09-22-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Looking at the clearances involved with disc brake pads and rotors, I’m not sure there is a solution. Throw in very thin rotors, not insignificant heat.....
Exactly until they change the design of disc brakes to increase the pad rotor gap, I’m not buying.

Disc brake rub maybe acceptable to off roaders but not not to me on the road. It’s something the industry and media never mention when they spew on about how great discs are.

They need to change the use of square edged seal deformation to retract pistons which is why the pad rotor gap is too small.

Another problem is that they are supposedly superior in the wet, but this is precisely when the pads get contaminated by oil and detritus on the roads getting splashed onto the rotor and then the pad. And thus the banshee wail occurs...... or the horse scarers as they are know in these parts.

Last edited by corky; 09-22-2018 at 01:33 PM.