Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Bar Fly Prime Mount Comes with Heads for Multiple Brands

Re: recent discussions of what to do when you bail on Garmin and go Wahoo, etc... Lezyne is also available. I applaud this.

https://barflybike.com/collections/r...aluminum-mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barfly.jpg (115.2 KB, 195 views)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

I much have rather they let you choose which mount you want and charge you $10-$20 less for it...
Old 09-18-2018, 01:04 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I much have rather they let you choose which mount you want and charge you $10-$20 less for it...
+1

I recently warrantied a 3.0 for the new barfly 4 (mtb model) which came with this new system, while I give credit for the modularity, all the other pieces are still in a box as I've no use for a headlight mount or camera mount or anything else mount. The old 3.0 was <$20, now the new ones are ~$40. Now if it was dual sided to where I could mount the computer on one side, and the light on the bottom, I think it'd justify a higher price, but the new system is overkill.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:05 PM

If anyone owns this, can you post a side photo with the computer mounted?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
+1

I recently warrantied a 3.0 for the new barfly 4 (mtb model) which came with this new system, while I give credit for the modularity, all the other pieces are still in a box as I've no use for a headlight mount or camera mount or anything else mount. The old 3.0 was <$20, now the new ones are ~$40. Now if it was dual sided to where I could mount the computer on one side, and the light on the bottom, I think it'd justify a higher price, but the new system is overkill.
Both missing the point. You can buy a dedicated mount if you will never switch or only use one brand. A recent thread referenced what to do when your Garmin craps out and you buy a Wahoo. As I mentioned, some brands let you swap the puck, but except for K-Edge, you have to work to track them down.

Also, below computer camera mounts are awesome for lights.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Both missing the point. You can buy a dedicated mount if you will never switch or only use one brand. A recent thread referenced what to do when your Garmin craps out and you buy a Wahoo. As I mentioned, some brands let you swap the puck, but except for K-Edge, you have to work to track them down.

Also, below computer camera mounts are awesome for lights.
So what companies need to do is make them replaceable and make them easily available but not included every mount under the sun and charge you for it.

I know the form mount also has a few mounts which I think is cool but you don't need 15 mounts in the box. That said I know why they charging $60, its not because of all the mounts but because k edge charges $60
Old 09-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Wow - didn't know these things are pushing $60 now. I remember they were $15 for the first iterations then bumped up to $20 when they went to that "SLI" modular mount style.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublar View Post
Wow - didn't know these things are pushing $60 now. I remember they were $15 for the first iterations then bumped up to $20 when they went to that "SLI" modular mount style.
to be fair, this version is much better than the old all plastic crappy version. $60 is pushing it but the all alum version should be much much nicer
Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM
coffee consumer

ptourkin - Do you work for Barfly or something??? Anyway, I have friends who have/like the Wahoo and its a very nice computer. However, when my 5 year old Garmin craps out, I'm probably going to see what Garmin has to offer in a refurbished model before I go shopping for something new. However, computer mount interchangeability isn't going to be major decision factor for me if I go that direction.

That being said, the Barfly 4 - MTB is the same price as the others, but doesn't include the upper/lower mounting position that the 4-Max offers due to computer positioning over the stem. A minor point...but I do appreciate that as a feature on the road version. So, thank you for making that distinction as I didn't recognize that difference b/t the road and mtb models. I'd rather Barfly skip the modularity on the MTB model and go back to the 3.0 but update it with the hinged clamp and sell it for $20 --- maybe call it the 3.1? At $40, I'm scrolling down on amazon looking at other sellers' options are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barfly without-jpg.jpg (60.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg barfly with-jpg.jpg (64.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So what companies need to do is make them replaceable and make them easily available but not included every mount under the sun and charge you for it.
Agreed. I was annoyed the last time I needed a new barfly and it came with a pile of mounts I'll likely never use. It's a waste of material, a waste of larger packaging, and a waste of extra money. But if I could buy replacement "heads" when needed, including the ability to change mount types, that would be a great selling point.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:53 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
If anyone owns this, can you post a side photo with the computer mounted?
Mine was only $30 on ebay (not the prime) but the Road Mini + the 3d printed mount for the go-pro to Ion bontrager light

Like dis?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Re: recent discussions of what to do when you bail on Garmin and go Wahoo, etc... Lezyne is also available. I applaud this.

https://barflybike.com/collections/r...aluminum-mount
Yeah it comes with a ton, I have 2 of these kits left over.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:38 PM
but not really

Quote:
+100

I liked the barfly mounts for my old Garmin but now that I'm on the Wahoo Elemnt, I just bought a few extra of their stock mounts for my other bikes. Skipping the over the stem style for now since the new Barfly iteration that fits a Wahoo is obnoxiously expensive as noted.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM

I've found the only place on the internet where a product's versatility is a bad thing.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
I've found the only place on the internet where a product's versatility is a bad thing.
It's not the versatility. How often do most people switch between Garmin, Wahoo, Cateye, Lezyne, etc. computers? It's a pretty infrequent occurrence, yet anyone who buys this mount gets heads for every one of those companies, plus some others. Versatility would be shipping it with the one selected and selling the other heads for a reasonable cost. That's versatility. Buy just what you need and have the ability to change later for a reasonable cost. Sending everyone every option is just wasteful.