Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Did someone say fried chicken??!!

Tony pal, you got my attention!

Honestly, I had that in my initial post as one of the primary "criteria" but then I deleted it because my lovely bride is not as big a fan as I am and probably will grumble in my ears all day long if I dare to even suggest it. But between you and me, we both know that this is true...

LOL I have a second home less than 20 miles from Ad Hoc. Thank god on the roads the separate Napa Valley from Valley of the Moon (where I am) it's almost an hour's drive or I'd need a 700 watt e-bike to ride a climb at all. A few weeks ago I bought a $40 bucket and my GF and I polished it off in two days! There is plenty of other good food there for the bride. She wouldn't leave grumbling.

Have a good time with your wife while out here. These no lack of great food that's for sure.

CRAP almost forgot Flower and Water for pasta!! But that's another hard reservation to get in San Francisco.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Best Fried Chicken is at my house. I am not afraid of any challenger.
Ok I can make the Ad Hoc batter and its spot on flavor wise but how do you get the dam stuff to stick on the chicken?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
It’s on. I’d have to have 3-4 days notice to make sure it’s perfect but I’ve got a pretty good fried chicken up my sleeve.

Kidding aside I’m surprised we got this far with no mention of Mr Jius.

As far as things to do.
The hike out to Bass Lake in Bolinas is always fun to do with visitors but save t for the weekday it gets insane on weekends.

Muir Woods on a weekday is always a hit too

Wine tasting in Sonoma/Napa area

Mikkeller bar has good beer—
Local edition has good cocktails

There’s seriously so much to do/ eat/ see
Old 09-16-2018, 10:42 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Even this guy? (Red Rooster)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M6XiFKB7j0w

Joosttx pal, if fried chicken is included as part of the local hikes, I will certainly take up your offer!

Last edited by weisan; 09-16-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Ok I can make the Ad Hoc batter and its spot on flavor wise but how do you get the dam stuff to stick on the chicken?
Dry dredge—wet dredge—dry dredge.

For me
Dry is flour and spices
Wet is butter milk and hot sauce

Fry it up and enjoy your one way ticket to flavortown
Old 09-16-2018, 11:56 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with those suggesting a ferry to Sausalito or trip to the Marin Headlands. Both are amazing. Also, second the recommendations for anything Redwood. Note that Muir Woods has a new reservation system, so you can't just show up (https://gomuirwoods.com). You can either get a parking reservation or a shuttle reservation. There are some really nice short day hikes. The short main trail is crowded, but there are some really nice loops that get you out of the crowds.

On restaurants: I disagree with the Quince recommendation. I have only been once (so take this for what it is worth), but I was very grateful I didn't pay for it. I think the food didn't justify the pricing. It was good, but not spectacular. I have a similar opinion of Slanted Door. A few others that are good: Sons and Daughters, Rich Table, Foreign Cinema. And maybe Blue Plate (for comfort food like Fried Chicken). If you are in the South Bay, check out Din Tai Fung in Santa Clara. I haven't tried that location, but great dumplings at other locations I have tried.

My favorite restaurant in SF is Burma Superstar. Interesting Burmese food at moderate prices. On Chinese, we go to Yank Sing for work occasionally. I like it, but always think it seems pricey (again, happy others are paying).

Have a great visit. If you need/want a bike, look up Black Sheep rentals. They can hook you up. If you are in the East Bay (Oakland/Berkeley) I can give more recommendations that direction.

Last edited by srcarter; 09-17-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Vendor

Other interesting phenomena is that I seem to get drunker and fatter when someone else is paying. Very cool that Quince printed up custom menus. I've only been there once. Unfortunately I had to go digging in my own pockets when the check came. And it was a deep dig. It's actually been a very, very long time since I've been to a place that doesn't bring you crayons and list chicken fingers on the menu.

There's lots of other choices for less pomp and I'll second Burma Superstar. I also like Tomasso's in North Beach. Fish in Sausalito is another solid place. My sometimes weekend routine when the kids need to get out of foggy SF is a hike in the Marin headlands (e.g., Point Bonita, Rodeo Beach) or maybe Mt Tam followed by dinner at Fish. Also, I can't believe I forgot about Pizzeria Picco:

http://www.pizzeriapicco.com/piccopizza.pdf

I'm pretty sure you need to reserve a shuttle to see Muir Woods. It's gotten really popular in the last few years.

I'm not huge on Yak Sing. The food is good, but they seem to cater and price it more towards a downtown corporate crowd. I'll stick with my Dragon Beux and RG Lounge recs. Sotto Mare is another good one. Haven't been there in ages, but I remember the cioppino was killer. If you want a hole in the wall type experience then I'll suggest House of Pancakes on Taraval. I also like Shalimar - just watch where you step.

One place I'll suggest avoiding is Beach Chalet. If you do go because it looks like a nice place to enjoy the sunset, stick to the burger/beer/fry staples.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:51 AM

Has anyone said "DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR RENTAL CAR" yet? Not even for two seconds while your back is turned.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post

I'm pretty sure you need to reserve a shuttle to see Muir Woods. It's gotten really popular in the last few years.
I happened to be there last week. This is correct, you need to go to: gomuirwoods.com to make a parking reservation. I didn't know this but, fortunately there were signs on the way in and I was able to pull off the road and book a reservation on my cell phone. We got there about 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon and it wasn't crowded. We had a blast....
Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
...about 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon and it wasn't crowded...
The time and day of the week can have a profound effect on where you go (driving wise) and what you might want to do.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 AM

Milkshakes at Gott's Roadside. Either in the Ferry Building or up in the Napa. I prefer chocolate myself.

Also Greek food at Souvla in Hayes Valley.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob62 View Post
I happened to be there last week. This is correct, you need to go to: gomuirwoods.com to make a parking reservation. I didn't know this but, fortunately there were signs on the way in and I was able to pull off the road and book a reservation on my cell phone. We got there about 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon and it wasn't crowded. We had a blast....
One way to get around the reservation thing. Is to park in Mill Valley and then hike the Dipsea trail to Muirwoods and back. That’s a heck out a workout. Muir Woods 1st thing in the morning is a religious experience. When my kids babies we would go there first thing in the morning on Saturday for a summer.

Again if I would do Marin this is what I would do.

Early point Reyes Light House via Sir Francis Drake. Lunch on north beach .(point Reyes). Return HWY 1 up Bolinas/Faifax rd to Ridge Crest BLVd. Hike around Ridgecrest go to millvalley afternoon shuttle to Muir Woods. GGB for sunset

Last edited by joosttx; 09-17-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:48 AM

And if you get to Larkspur do not miss Donut Alley!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Other interesting phenomena is that I seem to get drunker and fatter when someone else is paying. Very cool that Quince printed up custom menus. I've only been there once. Unfortunately I had to go digging in my own pockets when the check came. And it was a deep dig. It's actually been a very, very long time since I've been to a place that doesn't bring you crayons and list chicken fingers on the menu.

There's lots of other choices for less pomp and I'll second Burma Superstar. I also like Tomasso's in North Beach. Fish in Sausalito is another solid place. My sometimes weekend routine when the kids need to get out of foggy SF is a hike in the Marin headlands (e.g., Point Bonita, Rodeo Beach) or maybe Mt Tam followed by dinner at Fish. Also, I can't believe I forgot about Pizzeria Picco:

http://www.pizzeriapicco.com/piccopizza.pdf

I'm not huge on Yak Sing. The food is good, but they seem to cater and price it more towards a downtown corporate crowd. I'll stick with my Dragon Beux and RG Lounge recs. Sotto Mare is another good one. Haven't been there in ages, but I remember the cioppino was killer. If you want a hole in the wall type experience then I'll suggest House of Pancakes on Taraval. I also like Shalimar - just watch where you step.

One place I'll suggest avoiding is Beach Chalet. If you do go because it looks like a nice place to enjoy the sunset, stick to the burger/beer/fry staples.
+1 on Tomaso’s. Old school and the real deal.

Agreed on Yank Sing. They just have some dim sum dishes there often not served at other places. The downtown financial crowd is not a plus though
Old 09-17-2018, 11:06 AM
ZhugeLiang

Really appreciate all the recommendation and pro tips, you guys are really the best.

On the food front, both my wife and I love authenticity and the cultural aspect of it.