Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2018, 12:31 AM

Tips for safe night riding

Hey all. As days are getting shorter I'm finding that I can't get going on post-work rides until it's pretty much dark. I live in L.A., so the fall and "winter" weather will be fine. I've been compiling a list of best practices for night riding and finding night routes. Feel free to add some more for me or tell me where I might be wrong.

1. lights, yeah, duh, use my lights.

2. speed is not really something to look for. It's a lot harder to see the road and obstacles. So, plan for hills for a workout.

3. Look for neighborhood streets, and parts of neighborhoods that aren't cut through areas. Hills that dead end are pretty good.

4. Bike lanes on busy streets actually seem pretty dangerous after dark unless cruising quite slowly.

I expect the next comment to be "get a trainer and zwift." I've considered that, but it's just so nice to be out in the world.

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Nobody is more serious about night riding than randonneurs. Here is the relevant section from Randonneurs USA's Rules for Riders:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSA Rules for Riders

Article 10

For night riding, vehicles must be equipped with front and rear lights attached firmly to the vehicle. Lights must be turned on at all times during hours of darkness or other low-light conditions (rain, fog, etc.). At least one of the rear lights must be in a steady (rather than flashing) mode. All riders' lights must meet the requirements of local laws. A rider is not permitted to cycle at night or in other low-light conditions without working front and rear lights attached to the vehicle; therefore backup lighting systems and/or spare bulbs are strongly recommended in case the primary system fails and cannot be repaired on the roadside. Each rider, whether riding in a group or alone, must fully comply with this requirement. Everyone must use their lights!

During hours of darkness or other low-light conditions, all riders must wear a reflective vest or some other device that clearly places significant reflective material on the front and back of the rider. During these times all riders will also wear a reflective ankle band around each ankle. (Due to their unusual seating position, recumbent riders may modify their reflective torso devices to show better from front and rear.) Other reflective devices on clothing, shoes, helmets, and machines are encouraged for increased safety - but they are extra and may not take the place of the minimum items listed above. Riders must review the RUSA reflective guide and are strongly encouraged to meet the recommended minimum standards for torso reflectivity described in that document.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM

I tend to take out the tank with fenders and marathon tires if I'm going for a real ride when it's dark. I work hard to get less speed and can handle more potholes from nowhere, seems like a win.

I also like lights on bike plus on helmet. L&M Vis helmet mounted lights are awesome. I set it up to point where I'm looking. People can't not see a light that you shine in their face.

I've started to pepper my cargo commuter bike with reflective material. The front bag is hugely reflective, so are strips on the tires, yellow and red reflective tape around the cargo area. Also I have a neon yellow helmet with reflective accents.

Don't waste the "advertisement space" of your body. Skip the svelte black kit. Go as bright as you can.

Source: I commute 4-5 days a week year-round.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM

I’ve been riding in the dark for years off and on, depending on my work schedule and after reading the rules above I’m wondering what folks recommend for reflective articles? It’s easy when it’s cooler but when it’s hot having an extra layer isn’t something super appealing.

In answer to the OP I think lights are the key. In addition to having one or two on my bar I like having one on my helmet that I can direct at cars coming off of side streets to let them know I’m there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM

Get reflective ankle bands and a vest. The bands make it quite noticeable from a distance that you're a cyclist.

http://www.dontgethit.com/elwrba2.html

Last edited by fiamme red; 09-13-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 AM

+1 on the ankle bands. There was a study done in Australia in the last year or so (fairly large sample size but don’t recall the other details) that showed drivers don’t “see” lights/reflective gear/etc but the motion of the reflective bands while pedaling is much more visible.

There’s a reason they’re mandatory for RUSA rides.

I know one rider who attaches a blinking tail light to his ankle rather than ankle bands. Obviously he does this riding solo as it would be annoying AF with other riders.

Greg
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
plus on helmet. L&M Vis helmet mounted lights are awesome. I set it up to point where I'm looking. People can't not see a light that you shine in their face.
This.

Works especially well if you live in a city where drivers think their ability (read: right) to make a left turn on a yellow extends 5 seconds into their red.

Last edited by false_Aest; 09-13-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Get reflective ankle bands and a vest. The bands make it quite noticeable from a distance that you're a cyclist.

http://www.dontgethit.com/elwrba2.html
Movement attracts the eye. That's how we're built as a species

M
Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a year-round commuter in Denver and do a lot of riding in the dark. I'd say:

1) Strong confirmation of a helmet light. I use a blinking light on my helmet and look directly at drivers during any turns or when stopped at a light. Even if they are texting, the blinking light aimed at their car will alert them. It doesn't have to be fancy, these days I use a Princeton Tech Fuel you can pick up for $15 with a strap I made from velcro

2) Know your route well. I ride the Platte River trail from Denver to Mineral and it is full of all kinds of twists, turns, drops, and rough transitions from one concrete plate to the next...not to mention wet bridges the whole way down. When I started riding this in the dark, it scared the crap out of my the whole way. But, after riding it enough in the light that I knew every section, I can daydream all the way home and enjoy the ride. The more you know the route, the more you can focus on other stuff

3) Have the clear glasses if all dark, photochromic if your ride is mixed.

4) Have the right clothes. Know your preferred temperature and understand what you have to wear to be comfortable after the sun goes down. I have so many different options that I change what I wear down to 5 degree increments. And, as a side note, get some winter shoes, it is worth it.

I love riding at night and enjoy the serenity. I can ride 50 minutes of my commute on a bike path beside a river in the winter months where I don't see cars or people. It is sweet to have all the summertime cyclists home in bed again so I have the path all to myself.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Scoff as you’d like, but I’ve found the reflective bands of the Rapha Brevet kit to be pretty good in the dark. Also distinct enough my wife has recognized me from the back or front when seeing me out at night.

That’s on top of the requisite blinkie and steady lights on bars, helmet and seat post/seat stay.

For me, it’s side visibility that tends to be the hardest to really cover.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Movement attracts the eye. That's how we're built as a species

M
That study that Gone cited is gold. The moving ankle bands attract attention. It has an impact during the day as well. I had the experience during a supported ultra event of my crew being able to spot me at distance via the movement of my hi-vis pink socks.

It's nerdy, but if you're concerned, the reflective bands are a cheap way to be really seen.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Another good day on the Paceline. I've transitioned to High Viz socks over the last 6 months, but I just ordered some reflective ankle bands based on these comments. $15 prime and I'm even more visible than before.

Now if I could just find some reflective I'd be all set.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
For me, it’s side visibility that tends to be the hardest to really cover.
My co-op was giving out some free samples of these 3M reflective tapes and I just pasted them all over my commuter and a couple other bikes.

POGU 3M™ Scotchlite High Visibility Bike Reflector Stickers
http://www.pogubike.co.uk/shop/pogu-...ctor-stickers/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3m.jpg (68.8 KB, 266 views)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:42 AM

definitely +1 on the reflective ankle bands, draw a lot of attention, I saw another rider using them and couldn't believe how visible they were. I recently purchased ($10) a battery operated flash version "Nite Ize SlapLit" that I wear on the left ankle, with the passive one on the right. Had a car stop and tell me how visible I was with this along with my regular lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Another good day on the Paceline. I've transitioned to High Viz socks over the last 6 months, but I just ordered some reflective ankle bands based on these comments. $15 prime and I'm even more visible than before.

Now if I could just find some reflective I'd be all set.
I gotcha beat: Endura makes some socks with the reflective built in.

So does Smartwool and so does DeFeet

M