Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Anyone Out Here in Seattle PNW....

Hey guys... I am quite new to the site, and have also just moved to the PNW(Pacific Northwest). I live in North Seattle, and have slowly been exploring the different kinds of riding and routes out here. One thing is for sure.... Everybody cycles in Seattle. I am quite eager to explore gravel riding which is quite popular out here too.... Looking to tag along with some willing rider who wouldn't mind showing me the place and the ropes. Definitely not used to all the hilly routes, but really eager. Please send me a PM or just reply to this post. Hope to meet some local peeps as well. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:07 PM
Administrator

oh man. you have access to some super riding.

the locals will give you more specific guidance, but i'm from the east coast and travel a lot for work. i bring a bike or rent one every time i'm in the PNW if i can find a few free hours.

lucky you!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 PM

Yeah I noticed riding is a thing out here.... But for now, I can only get around the local roads, and when i can find a group to ride with. People actually get super adventurous and get out on ferries to the islands and ride the whole day along with camping. I am not quite there yet, but I would be very interested in exploring such riding experience. Again... I just really have to get used to the hills... hillls... and even more hills...
Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 AM
Total Fred

Yep...I'm here. Rainy season is about to start...hope you have fenders. I'm just about to wrap up my Tuesday night rides for the summer. Will probably not be doing too much more weekend recreational riding, but I commute on e-bike year round. We can chat and plan for some rides. PM me.

Tai
Old 09-17-2018, 01:15 AM
You still here?

Seattle’s Cascade Bicycle Club https://www.cascade.org is the largest cycling club in the US and offers a huge number of activities and opportunities to become acquainted with your area and like-minded cyclists.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Happy Hourist

Mark, I live in north Seattle but my regular rides are up past LFP where you are, would be happy to hook up sometime and show you some of my favorite roads. It's a lot of zigzagging, some sharp hills, maybe a few dirt trails, and minimal traffic.

A friend and I are ostensibly organizing a Velocipede Salon ride in a couple of weeks and you'd be welcome on that - maybe we'll name it the "The Forum Ride" and call it good.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Back At It!

New PNW guy here as well, just on the other side of the Sound (Poulsbo area)... just starting to get back riding again after too many years off, actually need to get my fenders on my Black Mountain...
Old 09-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWok View Post
Yep...I'm here. Rainy season is about to start...hope you have fenders. I'm just about to wrap up my Tuesday night rides for the summer. Will probably not be doing too much more weekend recreational riding, but I commute on e-bike year round. We can chat and plan for some rides. PM me.

Tai
Hey Tai, thanks for the reply.... happy to tag along on some of your local commutes....
Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Seattle’s Cascade Bicycle Club https://www.cascade.org is the largest cycling club in the US and offers a huge number of activities and opportunities to become acquainted with your area and like-minded cyclists.
Thanks so much for the info! I've actually signed up with Cascade early this year, and have joined a couple of their weekly rides... Awesome cycling club/org!
Old 09-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampco View Post
Mark, I live in north Seattle but my regular rides are up past LFP where you are, would be happy to hook up sometime and show you some of my favorite roads. It's a lot of zigzagging, some sharp hills, maybe a few dirt trails, and minimal traffic.

A friend and I are ostensibly organizing a Velocipede Salon ride in a couple of weeks and you'd be welcome on that - maybe we'll name it the "The Forum Ride" and call it good.
Hey! Yeah... would love to hook up and tag along on some of your rides around here... disclosure; I am still getting used to the hilly terrain all over Seattle, so I am very slow on climbs, but I would definitely try and latch on to you on the flats. Would love to explore some of those dirt trails (on a beginner level) as I have no experience whatsoever, but would gladly take my gravel bike out. Looking forward to riding with you!
Old 09-18-2018, 04:53 PM

Not living there any more, unfortunately. (Formerly Burien/White Center/West Seattle area)

You're right next to the Burke-Gilman, to minimize hills, but you probably know that already.

If you've got a bike that can handle 32's or more, don't miss the ride on the John Wayne trail via Iron Horse State Park. You can park on the roads just outside the park to save on the entrance fee to Rattlesnake Lake (south of I-90 just past North Bend), and then take the trail up to the former railroad tunnel near Snoqualmie Pass. Worth a trip.

You're not far from the Edmonds-Kingston ferry that will take you over to the Kitsap Peninsula for more rural riding.

On longer road trips, don't miss the riding out on the Olympic Peninsula, or the road into Carbon River entrance of Rainier.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 PM
cnighbor2

get the King county and Seattle bike maps

get the King county and Seattle bike maps and others
Join the Cascade club
Old 09-21-2018, 08:55 PM

John Wayne Trail

Check it out.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Not living there any more, unfortunately. (Formerly Burien/White Center/West Seattle area)

You're right next to the Burke-Gilman, to minimize hills, but you probably know that already.

If you've got a bike that can handle 32's or more, don't miss the ride on the John Wayne trail via Iron Horse State Park. You can park on the roads just outside the park to save on the entrance fee to Rattlesnake Lake (south of I-90 just past North Bend), and then take the trail up to the former railroad tunnel near Snoqualmie Pass. Worth a trip.

You're not far from the Edmonds-Kingston ferry that will take you over to the Kitsap Peninsula for more rural riding.

On longer road trips, don't miss the riding out on the Olympic Peninsula, or the road into Carbon River entrance of Rainier.
Yes! Burke Gilman definitely remains flat... but it does take quite a bit to get to a point, and very scenic which is nice. I am ready to venture the local streets in order to get the fastest route to any location. Yes, I did install some 35's and have 32s ready as well... I managed to upgrade some disc brakes bikes, which I feel is essential with living in Seattle.

But you are right, I have yet to experience those lovely island rides. I haven't even been on a ferry! Definitely something I should put on my to-do list Will definitely take note on those places you mentioned. Thank you so much! If there's other tips, please please feel free to let me know.... either PM me or just add it up on here.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
get the King county and Seattle bike maps and others
Join the Cascade club
Awesome! Such a good idea.... I think I may have grabbed one, or a bike map from REI.