Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 05:00 PM

OT: ERG Rowing pace

I have been rowing for the past year and a half and was wondering what a good 5000m time pace was? I am 55 yo and 5'9"/150 lbs, my easy pace is 2:12 minute/500m pace for 5000m (22 minute on rower). When I push it I can get it down to a 2:00 min/500m pace (20 min). I am able to do 2000m at 1:50 min/500m pace (7:20) and 500m in 1:40. I know what a good cycling and running pace are, just not sure about rowing? Thanks
Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 PM

Erg/Running/Cycling

I am a former runner (high school), and bike racer (college/post college) - decent but not spectacular in any discipline.

Most of my rides are solo affairs - over pretty hilly (short and steep - not super mountainous) terrain here, if I can average 18+ mph for a 20-40 mile ride I'm pretty happy. Longer, hillier rides are more like the low/mid 17 mph range - those are probably 50 mi/4500+ feet of elevation.

I can crank out tempo runs - say 5+ miles - in the 6:45 - 7:00/mi pace range. I do try to run intervals a few times each month - more like in the low 6:00 /mi range for the harder efforts. I find doing running intervals occasionally helps with the longer runs.

The erg (Concept II) has been helpful to my overall fitness routine. I like the ability to mix up exercise in the winter months when it's too much of a pain to run or bike outside, and when I'd rather not use up mental energy for the indoor trainer/Trainerroad etc. I do find it engages my core and is great for cardio on those days you don't feel like running or riding.

I usually find myself topping out in the 20:30-21:00 range for a 5000m workout on the Concept II. That seems to be where I've plateaued the last several years I've been keeping track of things.

I do find mixing things up on the Concept II helps. A few "base" workouts at the start of the colder/darker months, and then throw in the preset 1:40/20 interval workout every so often.

Like running, I find my "standard" workout times/pace benefit from more specialized interval like workouts. Those are possible on the Concept II.

Late 40s...~ 145lbs or so. Not much upper body strength to speak of.

Watching videos - or asking for help - on proper form will also make your time on the erg more efficient.

I'd also welcome any feedback from folks with longer/deeper experience with ergs and the crossover to running and cycling.

m_b
Old 04-04-2020, 05:49 PM

Watching this as I am looking to loop in some rowing into my routine and ramp it up in the off season.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:01 PM

I guess "what's good" is kind of relative to what your goals are. I'd say as a casual user, being able to hold 2:00 split on a C2 (~200w) for 20:00 and 1:50 for 2000m indicates good fitness. Understand that rowing has a pretty steep learning curve when it comes to strength and efficiency, and body mass plays a huge role- its much easier to generate that type of power if you're taller and heavier, hence indoor rowing competitions are generally divided into openweight and lightweight (usually sub 75kg indoors) categories.
If you're interested in comparing yourself to others in your age and weight range, check out the concept2 online ranking

https://log.concept2.com/rankings

or search the C.R.A.S.H-B results from a few years ago if you're interested in what the folks pushing envelope are doing.

If you have questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I have a lot of experience in the sport.

Last edited by slambers3; 04-04-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanks. Bought a Concept 2 rower a couple of months ago so I wouldn't have to go to the gym to do it. Glad I did, gives me more variety in my workouts, especially with the pandemic. Just wish rowing wasn't so boring, it's like swimming.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSC View Post
Glad I did, gives me more variety in my workouts, especially with the pandemic. Just wish rowing wasn't so boring, it's like swimming.
A few benefits / differences I've found compared to cycling (for me):

1) It isn't 1/10 as bad as riding a bike or trainer indoors.

2) You can get a very, very good workout done in as little as 30 minutes, which on the bike is barely getting warmed up.

3) It's a much more complete workout than cycling, but for me not nearly as hard on my knees.

4) If you're going hard I've found that it's a tougher challenge mentally than riding a bike hard.

5) Nothing's as enjoyable as a good ride outside on the bike, but for a number or reasons, I think the indoor rower is most definitely a better workout.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:42 PM
tailgunning

it's basically a wash, erg fitness never really carried to cycling for me. I'm roughly 5'6" 143 and in general, I always thought 1:45 for the 2k was a good barometer for me if I was going well

1:50 or so for the 5k

1:55 for the hour (or 15k-ish)

I'm a pretty mediocre bike racer, so maybe those numbers aren't too good lol.