Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2020, 11:09 AM

As somebody with less than average mountain bike skills, at the original slickrock trail I managed to get out of control, do an endo, and land on my back. The pain was so bad that I was fading in an out of shock and ended up with a bruise the size of a soccer ball.

I suck at MTBs, so no more Moab for me.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:21 AM

I'd walk it. ;-)

My technical skills have seriously eroded from lack of riding mtb and I've gotten older, so Portal is way outta my league. Bikes are a lot burlier, too. Still, that's got a big pucker factor. Kudos to anybody that rides that cleanly - or rides it at all!

Thanks for the video.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:28 AM

yep the video is deceptive

What I meant was I'd not try it now because of the techy aspects. I don't love trails that beat me up or force me to hike a bike. My comfort level is the Zen trail in St George, and not knowing that trail there were 3-4 places i had to hike-a bike. If i got to ride it a few times, I think I might get that down to one, but I'd never make it through without getting off. Portal would be something I'd get through, but there'd be so many starts and stops = not fun for me. Most areas from that video, and my memory of what we started on and turned back, you'd fall, but not over a sheer drop. Tough trail in that some speed would be needed to clear lots of stuff, and speed would be the factor that would make a mistake near areas of exposure much more dangerous. It is cool that there are folks have that skill level, but doesn't seem worth the injury risk to me (or my bike) at my skill level.
So much fun stuff in Moab (and St Geore, and Hurricane--worth the trip for certain)

Last edited by jimcav; 04-04-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
It looks ‘epic’. The views are amazing. I can ride a bike pretty well, but my fitness has tanked and my fear of making a mistake and catapulting down that cliff would keep me from riding that.
I thought the same before my trip and was addicted to watching these videos. Im very timid in these situations, but luckily, in person, it didnt bother me as much. there were two sections that trip that were indeed sketch. One part of the whole enchilada, and then another portion of another trail(i forget) but its famous because theres a sign that says "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RIDE THIS SECTION. DISMOUNT YOUR BIKE AND WALK. PEOPLE HAVE DIED HERE."
Old 04-04-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
hah!
It is actually the opposite. GoPro makes it LESS technical actually. Portal is waaaaay techinal than what you see in the video.
Agree with this. Exacerbated by the fact that the guy in the vid is a really good rider. He’s handling stuff with a smoothness at speed that most can not.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:30 PM

I rode it a lot between '85 and '93, only ever cleaned the descent, the point where in the video he stops with the front wheel near an edge to the highway, once. Quite a few times with 3, 4, 5 dabs but only once all the way. The first part, basically a long traverse on a crazy shelf across cliffs, we always considered relatively easy, as in cleaning it wasn't even a question. Still major intensity though. But the descent, that's a whole new level if intensity. I also had a way, way fun approach ride that did nothing but slickrock until damn near the final climb up the ramps to the top. Note that all this was way before suspensions, not even thought of yet. Wouldn't go near it today. Scared the hell out of me just watching. Getting old I guess.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:47 PM

I had a rental bike there one time....took a look look at slick rock, and said "no way". So walked the practice trail. So hot....couldn't physically carry enough water to walk 2.5 miles. This flat lander wouldn't even think about doing that Portal trail, even years ago. Did rent a Jeep and do the 114 mile White Rim Trail once. Saw the "Thelma and Louise" movie cars off the side. You guys are very brave and skillful. Be careful....go prepared....people die at Moab.

Last edited by Ralph; 04-04-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
+1 no question about this.
Hmm...maybe you're right but I thot the narrow pov made things look bigger

Way to crush a guy's dreams
Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Imshi Cycles

looks cool and all but there are many other trails id have much more FUN on.

for some mtbros its all about the YIPPEE WHOA BRAH I ALMOST TOOK A HEADER DOWN THAT GNARLY CHUTE BACK THERE CHUUAAAAHHHH!! Finding the steepest/fastest/techiest sh*t they can...so they can make videos like this. which is fine, i guess. but for most people, that stuff isnt FUN. and we are riding bikes for FUN...right?

moab is moab but the best trails ive found in utah are in hurricane, hands down, no question. less crowded and more FUN. just my 2c...
Old 04-04-2020, 10:35 PM
n - 1

Don’t do it on a rigid 29er(+) like me and you’ll be fine.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:45 PM

damn! rigid!!
i did the Monarch Crest in Colorado in a rigid singlespeed 29er. And my bones ached for a few days later. but even i would not dream about doing portal on a rigid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Don’t do it on a rigid 29er(+) like me and you’ll be fine.