Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 06:54 PM

N95 mask advice

First, I suppose I could have posted this in the current Covid 19 thread, but since I have questions specific to the N95 mask, I thought I would start a new thread.

Since I'm not a medical professional, I have no experience with these masks. Today, in an act of incredible kindness, a friend gave me one of these masks. It was purchased at home depot, and it says NIOSH N95.

Question 1: Are all N95 masks the same? In other words, is the type of N95 mask used in medical applications the same as this mask, NIOSH N95?

Question 2: Probably the most important question, I want to maximize the life of the mask subject to the constraint that I want to keep it effective in protecting me. Which means, I want to clean it and disinfect it. I have a UV light device that I use to disinfect my CPAP equipment, but I've heard mixed things about this approach, in particular I have seen reports (I think here, but other places as well) that this can cause the mask to deteriorate. But, I saw that Baptist Hospital in Jacksonville disinfects masks with this procedure.

I also saw on youtube that you can steam the mask and spray it with alcohol. I have a steamer that I use to steam vegetables, so I guess I could steam the mask, and it seems that this would be effective but it also seems like it could be damaging.

Any other thoughts, comments, suggestions pertaining to using, cleaning, and disinfecting the mask would be greatly appreciated. Or any other information that you might think I should know.

Got to make this thing last. I only plan on using it at the grocery store, but who knows how long this is going to last.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 PM

check www.n95decon.org

1. N95 just means it can filter out particles of a certain size. Masks differ in how they fit your face (seal) and some have an exhaust valve, while others don't.

2. re: sanitizing for reuse, there are researchers who've ran tests and published guidance:

- https://www.n95decon.org/ (scroll down to fact sheets, I've also attached them here)

- https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...spirators.html

Lastly, a cloth mask or even a bandana will be better than nothing in helping slow the potential spread of the virus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200402_N95DECON_Heat_factsheet_v1.2_final.jpg (144.6 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg 200401_N95DECON_UV_factsheet_v1.2_final.jpg (143.8 KB, 522 views)

Last edited by slowpoke; 04-03-2020 at 07:12 PM. Reason: attached N95 decon fact sheets for heat and UV-C
Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 PM

1. 95 refers to being about to filter out 95% of particles to a given size.. so yes
2. UV will definitely make it deteriorate faster.. who know how the other layers within the mask will tolerate the UV.. in other words there is potential for it worse on the inside layers then outside.

I'd probably try to steam it.(but not a veg steamer). the virus does not live long on soft surfaces from the data I have seen.. it lives much longer on hard surfaces (metal and such)
I have one of those steamers with a gun that you see in infomercials.. works wonder on kitchen tile. Still wouldn't last long anyways

you dont need n95.. you can use a lessor one. Anything is better then nothing. The main point is wash your hands often and dont touch things.(then touch your face)

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 04-03-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:18 PM

slowpoke images updates tell the story...
Old 04-03-2020, 07:23 PM

makes me wonder if a few seconds in a microwave would do ... granted the mask would have to be zero metal...if you have the plastic filter kind it could be bad obviously.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 PM

158 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

https://utrf.tennessee.edu/informati...ask-materials/

Does not promise result on viruses. There is no real test on that yet, but this guy knows more about how these masks work than almost anyone. Most importantly, this article shows you what not to do.

A typical industrial mask has a valve to allow easier exhale and does not filter the exhale.

Last edited by HenryA; 04-03-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 PM

As others said the N95 is the filtering efficiency designation. NIOSH designation means the manufacturer submitted samples to testing agencies for performance against NIOSH performance criteria and passed.

A big deal – N95 respirators as shown on all the media are disposables. None are made to be reused day to day. The intention is to wear them into a hazardous area for X hours, come out, and throw the used one away and pick up a new one. Reusable respirators have elastomeric face pieces and filter elements that attach to the face piece. The elastomeric bit is washed and the filters replaced with new. None of the N-95 respirators I’ve ever seen were designed to be decontaminated.

A second big deal for others. Some N-95 respirators have an exhalation valve on the front. If yours has a valve keep in mind that you are protecting no one from your exhalation vapor. So if you are ill I suggest not going in public with that style of respirator.

If you intend to use an N-95, please shave your face daily so a seal can be made to your skin as designed to comply with NIOSH. A couple days hair and definitely a beard will make it useless. Once comfortable on your face push the aluminum band down on the bridge of your nose and cheek to get the seal in that area. If you inhale or exhale and can feel air anywhere escaping along the seal you need to reposition it until the air stops.

Personnally if I were to try deconning an N-95 disposable, I’d use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and soak that sucker. Put it in a zip lock for an hour, then take it out and let it dry over night. In the morning I'd blow through it or swing the element around to move air through the fibers before breathing through it.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
A typical industrial mask has a valve to allow easier exhale and does not filter the exhale.
In a related matter:

I have an LL Bean neck-warmer, which is made of a relatively thin synthetic material, probably polyester. It looks a lot like the image below. Last night, just for kicks I put it on around my neck then raised it up to cover my nose and mouth, to see what it would be like to have something like that on. (I don't have any bandannas or other similar stuff to test.)

I didn't try anything through my mouth, only my nose. Within a few breaths it felt like the lower part of my face was in an oven, and I began to wonder how I could possibly get enough fresh air / oxygen in. I don't see how anyone could exercise or do anything more than low-level exertion with something as basic as a bandanna on, unless you made it of one or two layers of cheesecloth, which would render it useless as a filter.

I think I have some super-basic masks around in the garage, which I got to keep sawdust out, but I don't know how effective those would be either.

Bottom line, I don't see how anyone could wear a fabric home-made mask while exercising or even just walking at a good clip.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 PM

I plan on using the mask rarely, maybe once a week for about an hour - specifically, a weekly trip to the grocery store.

If I just hung it up for a week, without doing anything, would the virus just expire without me doing anything?

The UT article mentioned above says hot air is effective in eliminating the virus while maintaining the filtering ability of the mask. I suppose this is a dumb question, but has anyone ever looked into freezing the mask? Would that kill the virus and maintain the filtering properties?

According to this UT article, the filtering ability of the mask is dependent upon the electric charge of the media in the middle. Would freezing the mask (or chilling it) affect the electric charge? Would it kill the virus?

Incidentally, I think the best thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge, freely dispensed, of the members. In all areas, not just those related to cycling. I think this thread is a good example of this attribute.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Bottom line, I don't see how anyone could wear a fabric home-made mask while exercising or even just walking at a good clip.
You must live somewhere warm! I wear a balaclava or buff over my mouth and nose for most of my winter riding from 20F to -30F. I'm so used to the restriction that it's no big deal. You'll get used to it.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 PM

To the OP and anyone else...please check out this video. He is a frontline ICU doctor in NYC working at a very prestigious hospital.

Hope this helps. It’s long, but watch all of it. It’s all very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitWZj9QhdQ
Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 PM

Wonder if magic marker would compromise the masks at all.
Was thinking this could be a bit of a time killer for the kids while at home and also make the masks a bit more attractive to them to wear.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:36 PM

n95 masks filter out 95% of all particles. If you don't seal it tight against your face any mask is useless. If you are really worried then I would get a military gas mask covering all of your mucus membranes including your eyes while ensuring a 100% seal around your face. You will look odd but that's the bomb proof way against the virus.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
I plan on using the mask rarely, maybe once a week for about an hour - specifically, a weekly trip to the grocery store.

If I just hung it up for a week, without doing anything, would the virus just expire without me doing anything?

The UT article mentioned above says hot air is effective in eliminating the virus while maintaining the filtering ability of the mask. I suppose this is a dumb question, but has anyone ever looked into freezing the mask? Would that kill the virus and maintain the filtering properties?

According to this UT article, the filtering ability of the mask is dependent upon the electric charge of the media in the middle. Would freezing the mask (or chilling it) affect the electric charge? Would it kill the virus?

Incidentally, I think the best thing about this forum is the wealth of knowledge, freely dispensed, of the members. In all areas, not just those related to cycling. I think this thread is a good example of this attribute.
Probably just hanging it up would be OK but we're all speculating. I'd go with heat in the oven - everything dead. And if you did it as soon as you got home, in 30 minutes there is no living CV in your house. And its ready to go if you need it sooner than you planned.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
n95 masks filter out 95% of all particles. If you don't seal it tight against your face any mask is useless. If you are really worried then I would get a military gas mask covering all of your mucus membranes including your eyes while ensuring a 100% seal around your face. You will look odd but that's the bomb proof way against the virus.
Or you could just wash your hands and not touch your face...