Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2020, 11:43 AM

That's the problem, I have probably 8 pair of X2's which translates to probabably $1,500 in buying 8 pair of Zero's... A windfall for Wahoo if everyone has to do that. Maybe that was part of their strategy when they bought the company...
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Glory bound

Has anyone tried using the Zero cleats with X-series pedals?
I know Speedplay tells you not to, but I recall some folks on the forum saying it could be done.
Any first-hand experience?
Old 03-06-2020, 12:13 PM

maybe some enterprising chinese fabricator will start making the X cleats....they're already making axles, bowties, and other bits of X pedal hardware on the aftermarket.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
I know Speedplay tells you not to, but I recall some folks on the forum saying it could be done.
I'm pretty sure that won't work. The Zero cleats use a tab on the spring clips that engages a slot underneath the butterfly. The slot has ramps on either side that cause the tab/spring to be pushed outward disengaged when the pedal cleat is rotated on the pedal. The X series pedals don't have that slot with ramps. If you were able to clip a Zero cleat into an X pedal, I don't think you could rely on the tab/spring being pushed outward and disengaging from the pedal.

Retention and disengagement between cleat and pedal can be a safety issue, so this is probably not a good idea.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Barely Hanging On

Given how much the cleats sell for, it's hard to see why Wahoo wouldn't want to keep selling the cleats. It would be really lame of Wahoo to discontinue the cleats.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:51 PM

Why did Wahoo buy Speedplay only to kill it? What am I missing here?
Old 03-06-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Why did Wahoo buy Speedplay only to kill it? What am I missing here?
Speedplay had two lines of road pedals: The X Series (their original product from 30 year ago) and the Zero Series (derived from the X Series). For that last few years, the Zero pedals have been outselling the X Series by a wide margin. Speeplay (under Richard Bryne) had been very good about supporting older products (today's X Series cleats will still work with 30 year old pedals, and many spare service parts are available). But the new owners may not be as interested in continuing older designs and lower volume products, and may instead concentrate on newer and higher volume pedals.

I'm a big fan of the X series (I've been using them for 25 years) and I'd be sad if they disappeared.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:15 PM
50 bpm

I'd rather hoard X-2 pedals and cleats than hand sanitizer, frankly.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:19 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

From Excel:

------------------------
Hi Robert,

We are getting very little information from Wahoo about what they are planning to do with anything. We will still attempt to carry whichever parts they do decide to offer. I don’t think any of the other cleats will work for you, they are specific to the type of pedal. As soon as we can get a solid order going all the items will reappear on our website.

Thanks!

Helen
-----------------------
<Expletive deleted>
Old 03-06-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Did it once when I switched to X series pedals from the Zero's, the cleat locked in fine but had a heck of a time getting it out!

This really sucks, I need new cleats for my x series. Looks like most places online are sold out and Ebay is full of high priced replacements.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
No..different 'system'..Zero, the pedal 'locks' onto the cleat spring and the spring then rotates in the cleat. X series, the pedal locks around the spring but the 'float' is the pedal moving without the spring moving. Plus the Zwro sprng is flat, the X series is round..
Quote:
Soooooo, for those of use with a crap ton of X2s -- are the ultra light action pedals/cleats compatible with the X series? Does anyone have experience with the ultra lights?
Light Action pedals are Zeros with a 'softer' spring that means easier in and out plus no float adjust..BUT, they 'feel' a lot like Zeros. NOT the 'walking i=on ice' feel of X series..I think Wahoo is making a mistake killing X series and Frogs but it's run by counters of beans..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-07-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I 'think' the entire X series lineup is going to get axed. Along with Frogs..no idea about SYZRs.
Well, damn. Guess I need t stock up on cleats. My X1's & 2's have been around for at least 12 years

Anyone know if there is a difference between the V2 & slimline cleats?

Last edited by makoti; 03-07-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Not a robot

I'm more concerned about them discontinuing the Frogs. At least with the X's I could suffer through the cost of replacing a few sets of pedals and still have something somewhat close to what I had before. There's nothing else really like the Frogs, which I feel are the best touring'ish type of pedal out there (especially if you're already accustomed to the X's for more pure road shoes).

I still use SPD's for mountain bike & real off-roading. But for walkable-shoe urban/touring/gravel'y stuff, the Frogs rule. Bummed. In some of those threads citing "what's the best piece of cycling gear you've ever had", X's and Frog's were always near the top of my list. . .
Old 03-07-2020, 05:06 PM

gotta love the transparent corporate communication from Wahoo

anybody home in there?
Old 03-07-2020, 07:12 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
This.
I tried this and it wasn't the same. I hated the Zeros.