Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
Silca has some new bar tape.. 3.5mm but claim feels like 5
Our Cuscino tape is 3.75mm thick and has better shock absorbtion than a 5mm EVA or memory foam would provide. We also make 1.85mm and 2.5mm tapes as not everybody likes thick tape.

The real advantage of our Nastro is that it's made from a very special new foam, same as used by Nike in their 2 Hour Marathon shoe.. that can be molded at ~15% less stiff than an EVA, yet due to the incredibly low hysteresis, it can also be 20-30% more dynamically responsive, so you get the best of both worlds, the cushion and feel of a really soft tape like LizardSkinz, with the dynamic cushion and spring back of a much stiffer tape like cork, and it also has a 0.5mm thick top ply of TPU which is as durable as leather.

You can see some data and learn more HERE
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 AM

I've actually found the opposite to help. Problem is that the cushier the tape, the more one tends to grip it tightly. If you're riding on the hoods and take your hands off the bars (without immediately sitting up), do you immediately feel like you're falling off the saddle? It may be a position or core strength issue. My most comfortable set-ups, even for gravel use, is the old Benotto ribbon (utterly NO padding at all) and no gloves on aluminum bars.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM

I've tried the gel pads that adhere to the bars and found them too bulky, also losing the cushion when the bar tape is wrapped. CX Mag experienced this too.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/gravel-ge...avel-adventure

"Loosely wrapping bar tape is an invitation to having it come unraveled, so like many cyclists do, we wrapped our bar tape tightly over the Bar Gel pads. The tight wrap squished the gel and took away its shock-absorbing properties, leaving us with higher-diameter bars but little of the promised relief for bumpy terrain."

I was about to try the thick lizard skins but went with the Supacaz Sticky Cush 3mm tape instead and it's the best bar tape I've had. Hate supporting the brat son of the Specialized empire but the Supacaz tape is great.

I also wear a good pair of gel gloves and all my bikes' tires are 28mm+.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshatsilca View Post
Our Cuscino tape is 3.75mm thick and has better shock absorbtion than a 5mm EVA or memory foam would provide. We also make 1.85mm and 2.5mm tapes as not everybody likes thick tape.

The real advantage of our Nastro is that it's made from a very special new foam, same as used by Nike in their 2 Hour Marathon shoe.. that can be molded at ~15% less stiff than an EVA, yet due to the incredibly low hysteresis, it can also be 20-30% more dynamically responsive, so you get the best of both worlds, the cushion and feel of a really soft tape like LizardSkinz, with the dynamic cushion and spring back of a much stiffer tape like cork, and it also has a 0.5mm thick top ply of TPU which is as durable as leather.

You can see some data and learn more HERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemull View Post
I've tried the gel pads that adhere to the bars and found them too bulky, also losing the cushion when the bar tape is wrapped. CX Mag experienced this too.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/gravel-ge...avel-adventure

"Loosely wrapping bar tape is an invitation to having it come unraveled, so like many cyclists do, we wrapped our bar tape tightly over the Bar Gel pads. The tight wrap squished the gel and took away its shock-absorbing properties, leaving us with higher-diameter bars but little of the promised relief for bumpy terrain."

I was about to try the thick lizard skins but went with the Supacaz Sticky Cush 3mm tape instead and it's the best bar tape I've had. Hate supporting the brat son of the Specialized empire but the Supacaz tape is great.

I also wear a good pair of gel gloves and all my bikes' tires are 28mm+.
That's exactly my experience with Fizik gel pads. However, I have big hands and I appreciate the extra thickness that gives to the bar, combined also with thick tape. Both together made the handlebar comfortable enough that I never had pain again.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:27 AM

I wrap contact areas with old inner tube and then wrap tape over that.
Tried foam and gel pads, but then ended up squishing flat, the rubber cuts the vibrations nicely.