Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 08-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Dolomites

Would like to do a week there in 2020. Any good camps or operators? Was thinking about it and I my current thinking is to stay in one location instead of shuttling between the Italian Alps and the Dolomites. Any reccomendations out there? I found one such company but the trip is short finishing with the maratona de dolamites. Another operator is a bit expensive and includes the Italian Alps.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:42 AM

I'd stay at one of the bike hotels that have regular organized rides.

E.g. http://www.roadbike.melodiadelbosco.it/en/

Might be others in Corvara and Arabba, which are both on the Sella Ronda circuit. Cortina is nice but too far from Sella Ronda.

I have to say, though, if it's your first trip to the area, it's worth shuttling over to Bormio for a couple of days to also do the Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo.

Last edited by RonW87; 08-06-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post

Might be others in Corvara and Arabba, which are both on the Sella Ronda circuit. Cortina is nice but too far from Sella Ronda.

I have to say, though, if it's your first trip to the area, it's worth shuttling over to Bormio for a couple of days to also do the Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo.
Mortirolo looks brutal!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:32 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Bormio is a great central location to explore the passos and also a fun town. Aperol spritzes everywhere. And good food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
Mortirolo looks brutal!
It is. It's as brutal as it looks/sounds.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Bormio is a great central location to explore the passos and also a fun town. Aperol spritzes everywhere. And good food.

It is. It's as brutal as it looks/sounds.
I'm considering it. I got 6 months to decide and a year to do the trip
Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
I'm considering it. I got 6 months to decide and a year to do the trip
Our Giro trip two years ago was the best, and the best part of that best was our time in Bormio. It and Val di Fassa are the two places we'd like to revisit.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Bormio is not Dolomites... not sure where exactly you want to go. But if it's the Dolomites, check out Holimites and the Ustaria Posta hotel, which caters to bikers. Stayed there in June. Also check out Villa Tony in Corvara, the jumping off point to the Sella Ronda.

Beware that everything is climbing there. No easy days seem to exist there. Have to say it got the better of me. Had to leave out some rides I was hoping to do 'cuz I just ran out of energy. Was very hot there too in late June. Expect traffic if you go in summer.

But stunning terrain. I rode the Sella Ronda loop twice, once in each direction. It is by far the nicest 40 mile bike ride I've ever done. Wow.

PS. Holimites offered a one-day shuttle over to the Stelvio, which I did. Went up east side from Prato, down via Umbrail pass to Switz and back in valley to starting point. 48 hairpins - man, that was hard.

Last edited by tv_vt; 08-06-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Wife and I stayed in Alleghe during a Cinghiale Alp and Dolomite tour, great little town and centrally located to a lot of wonderful rides in and around the Dolomites. Preferred the town and ride options to Bormio (also a very nice town, but much larger) where we started the tour.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Bormio is not Dolomites... not sure where exactly you want to go. But if it's the Dolomites, check out Holimites and the Ustaria Posta hotel, which caters to bikers. Stayed there in June. Also check out Villa Tony in Corvara, the jumping off point to the Sella Ronda.

Beware that everything is climbing there. No easy days seem to exist there. Have to say it got the better of me. Had to leave out some rides I was hoping to do 'cuz I just ran out of energy. Was very hot there too in late June. Expect traffic if you go in summer.

But stunning terrain. I rode the Sella Ronda loop twice, once in each direction. It is by far the nicest 40 mile bike ride I've ever done. Wow.

PS. Holimites offered a one-day shuttle over to the Stelvio, which I did. Went up east side from Prato, down via Umbrail pass to Switz and back in valley to starting point. 48 hairpins - man, that was hard.
Hmm. You are the 2nd person who suggested holimites. i'll have to ask if they do ther excursions.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post

Bormio was on the western side of the Dolomites when we were there!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM

I've stayed there twice for the maratona, it's awesome! full bike garage great food, laundry service, etc....

Would definitely go again.

Quote:

Old 09-07-2019, 05:08 AM

I would also add La Perla in Corvara to the list of hotels. And if you want to splurge Rosa Alpina in San Cassiano (it's three michelin star resto is amazing).

Dolimites are actually a pretty good place to do on your own because there are lots of loops concentrated in a small area with amazing scenery, great food etc.

If you have a car - starting in Milan > Lake Como > Bormio vicinity for Mortirolo/Gavia/Stelvio > Corvara > Ovaro (for Zoncolan and Crostis) > Kranjska Gora (Mangart/Vrsic) is all epic. It would take longer than a week, but all of that with a stop in Friuli for some tuscan style rolling hills on the way back to a flight home from Venice would be epic.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Wife and I stayed in Alleghe during a Cinghiale Alp and Dolomite tour, great little town and centrally located to a lot of wonderful rides in and around the Dolomites. Preferred the town and ride options to Bormio (also a very nice town, but much larger) where we started the tour.
Alleghe is such a lovely town. Highly recommended!