Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Makes me think thrice about using the stairwell in my high-rise.
Can you hold your breath thru the full elevator ride?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Unhappy

The challenge is often recalling the sequence of washing hands and what surface(s) you may or may not have touched.
Then likely washing hands again. And again. "Oh, wait, did I just touch the mail and need to wash my hands again?"
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thank you for using the word “thrice”. Such an undervalued word. You really pulled that off effortlessly. Next up : “ergo” and “ipso facto.”
Pretty sure this is where I got it from - around age 14..

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a42083a...0-db7e6fb5b8a8

Zero Mostell, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
The challenge is often recalling the sequence of washing hands and what surface(s) you may or may not have touched.
Then likely washing hands again. And again. "Oh, wait, did I just touch the mail and need to wash my hands again?"
Seriously. This is my life with a partner who is borderline OCD. Her poor hands are cracked and bleeding, which makes her scared to touch anything - hasn't left the house (750sqft apartment) in a week.....doesn't plan to until the end of the month when we move..

We've built a quarantine area in the front of our place, doing our best with what we've got just to deal with deliveries and get through this - like everyone else, but in good health so far and with the privilege/fortune of full employment.

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-04-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
15th floor, probably not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Yeah our garage has a quarantine area. Item that are not perishable, mail, boxes we just leave them on top of car hoods for days. Stuff that needs to come inside the house will get processed on the table with chlorox wipes, etc.
Door knobs get wiped, immediate hands washing.

If I have to go to the store I will wear gloves. Use NFC for credit card as much as permitted. If the card was touched I will put them in the pocket and it gets wiped too.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
A couple of interesting articles to confuse things a bit.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00974-w

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...erts-nuts.html

I think this must be an airborne virus to spread so rapidly.
This article also discusses the evidence for airborne transmission: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hrough-the-air.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:05 PM
ferro verum est

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
It's also great for when someone lets one rip in the elevator
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Another superspreader event, in a nursing home in San Antonio--67 out of 84 residents infected, and staff that worked there as well as at other facilities:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/u...gtype=Homepage
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/u...sing-home.html

Quote:
Samuel Roy Quinn spent five hours with his mother on Friday, finally allowed to say goodbye as her condition deteriorated in a nursing home south of Houston. He held her hand and hugged her. He removed his face mask several times to kiss her on the forehead.

When he eventually left the nursing home, The Resort at Texas City, an employee ran after Mr. Quinn to tell him — for the first time — that his mother had tested positive for the coronavirus, he said.

It turned out that Mr. Quinn’s mother, Peggy Smith, was one of 83 residents and employees at the 135-bed facility who tested positive for the virus, according to local health officials. Some residents are still waiting for results...
Old 04-05-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Can't use Zoom for NY public schools because of privacy and security issues.

I've heard some horrible stories about meetings getting hacked.
https://chalkbeat.org/posts/ny/2020/...ncerns-emerge/

Quote:
In some cases, students have taken to “Zoombombing” online classes, essentially logging into online classes uninvited and hijacking everyone’s screens with inappropriate images or audio. “Zoombombing is no joke. I don’t think we were ready for that,” Pat Finley, a co-principal at the Metropolitan Expeditionary Learning School in Queens, previously said.

Students have also sometimes flooded the platform’s chat function with inappropriate comments, disrupting virtual instruction...
The NYC DOE has just banned the use of Zoom and is switching to Microsoft Teams.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
This article also discusses the evidence for airborne transmission: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...hrough-the-air.
I think the evidence for airborne transmission is strong. 6 ft to me is not far enough.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I think the evidence for airborne transmission is strong. 6 ft to me is not far enough.
I agree. I've make a concentrated effort to put a least 10 feet if possible which at times seems impossible. Folks still dont seem to get it, come right up to you. While walking my dog yesterday a lady came from behind me wanting to let her dog meet mine. I had to walk backward asking her to please stay back.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:07 AM

All of this 6ft, 12ft business-it's pretty arbitrary. There is a probability of transmission, and it will decrease "continuously" with distance (and also lots of other factors) That is, there is not some sharp cutoff distance beyond which it is safe. Similarly, the laughably naive policies limiting the number of people in a gathering. Those numbers - which varied wildly - were arbitrary, with no "safe" cutoff. More is bad, fewer is less bad but still bad, zero is best, and the only guarantee. The way all that has been communicated to the public, and we can to that the nonsense about masks not being in interest of public health, is one aspect of the failure of the US response.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:18 AM

Just going to put this out there since I think it is more relevant as I am living it. I spoke with my ex yesterday after the confirmed positive exposure. She works in a group home situation and Montgomery county still has all the staff working and refuses to test them. They were told that they were more than likely already infected as were their families and that they do not have much to worry about since it has likely already run its course! Let that sink in please. They aren’t testing those that have a huge probability of spreading it and are releasing them into the communities after multiple exposures every day!

So, I have to address a few things here since this means that this virus is far more widespread then any of the skewed numbers we are being given. This means way more infected, but the death toll is not rising. That means this is less lethal then anybody is reporting. Not to say those who have weak immune systems or underlying conditions aren’t dying or having major effects, but they told my ex and her co workers that if you are healthy and don’t have pre existing conditions then you aren’t even likely to show any symptoms. They also said you were basically safe as it’s a virus like chicken pox and once you were positive you could no longer get it.

I saw more people out yesterday while out for a solo bike ride then I have EVER seen on the canal way path. I have been riding that stretch since they put it in and have never seen the traffic that was out yesterday. Seems like this is just going to spread and those who have little to no immune system will suffer just like if they catch any virus or sickness. The overwhelming majority of people in good health will not really have an issue, but may see much milder symptoms if they get it and most will not even know that they had it.

There is one thing I know for sure and that is the numbers in NYS are being skewed and selective testing does not tell the real truth about COVID-19. The numbers will continue to go up because there are more tests available, but they are still only testing those with severe cases. I wouldn’t feel this was an issue if we weren’t being led to believe that selective testing is giving the real numbers, but that is all we are getting.

If the shortages of medical supplies were really an issue then why is the Governor refusing help from local manufacturing facilities capable? There are way too many things that stink about this and I know this will not go over well with the majority here, but something is amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 06:41 AM

I'm less sanguine about people getting the message. Sometime recently, one of those car crash memorials appeared on the side of Willow Grove on the way into Harriman Park, close to the top of the hill.

Yesterday I was wheezing my way up the hill, and there are parked cars on both sides and a group of 30 or so people having some kind of memorial service. I passed , and continued my slow ride around the circuit up in the park.

On the way down--the scene had turned into mayhem.

The group having the service have not dispersed--but they have been joined by a group of moto riders--who have filled up that whole service road below the dam, and BOTH sides of the road, and are milling around--effectively limiting the road to a single lane. There had to be over 50 riders--and probably more--helmets off, yakking it up, walking back and forth

And I had to wait for uphill cars to clear, and then ride through the center of the whole melee. Farck

I don't know it it was all one thing, or coincidental--but it was a lot of people in one place, not a single mask visible on anyone--and I had to ride through the center of it.
Closed Thread