Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 08:09 AM

search for #thanksshimano and you'll see a lot of failed cranks
Old 09-22-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
Everyone knows about this and are there really in the grand scheme of sales world wide "that many"?
Old 09-22-2023, 08:19 AM

@saab2000 - Shimano posted a YouTube video outlining the basic inspection process - starts at about 2:00 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKMKsbts3t8

Having had one of these cranks fail me while I was on the bike, creaking noises that have been ruled out in other places and a feeling that the pedal spindles are wobbly/have a lot of play (but the pedals are fine) are a giveaway that the crank bond is gonna fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Given the complexity of this it would be nice if they published some information on exactly what an owner can look for before going to the hassle of a shop. I have three Dura Ace 9000 cranks in my fleet.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Clarification

If, in the unlikely event that Shimano disagrees, the crank would be returned for reinstallation on the bike. All at no cost to the consumer or the shop

BK
Last little quibble and I'll shut up...There IS a cost to the shop..the shop taking the crank off, storing the bike, boxing the crank(yes, shimano pays for shipping)..then the crank(either original or new one) comes in and the shop installs..YES, no cost to the customer but it costs SOMETHING, labor wise, for the shop..does shimano re-imburse the shop for their time? They might for a new crank but they probably won't if the old crank passes shimano's inspection.

Small potatoes..glad shimano has (sorta) stepped up. Any company that does the 'R' word(yup, it IS a 4 letter word to any manufacturer), it is expensive and also more than a little 'embarrassing' to admit to creating a crappy design.

MR shimano isn't happy...
Old 09-22-2023, 08:34 AM

Shimano Crankset Recall

Doesn’t affect me, but I’m a little curious how long this whole process will take?
I remember a few years back when I had to have a bike returned for a Cervelo warranty claim, and I was without the bike about 6-7 weeks.
With a massive recall like this, what Shimano’s turnaround for their inspection at their end?

I just think of the bike shops having to store these bike while waiting, all while you are without your bike. I think if it was me, I would just ditch it and buy a new crank..(of course Campagnolo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Doesn’t affect me, but I’m a little curious how long this whole process will take?
I remember a few years back when I had to have a bike returned for a Cervelo warranty claim, and I was without the bike about 6-7 weeks.
With a massive recall like this, what Shimano’s turnaround for their inspection at their end?
N+1, baby!!
Old 09-22-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Everyone knows about this and are there really in the grand scheme of sales world wide "that many"?
Think about it this way:

If every year a company sold a million cars, and of those million cars, (at least) 6,000 had their front wheels fall off - sometimes while driving without warning, sometimes after a few weeks of clicking, sometimes while sitting at home in the garage - That would be a big problem.

Now, would it be a big problem if they sold 100, and it happened once? Maybe? Probably not.

Or imagine if Shimano used this production technique for just one year. They made 76,000 cranksets (of Dura-Ace/Ultegra level) and 400 of them broke over the next decade. Probably a big enough deal that it would be known and discussed (like a few different classic and vintage known problem parts) but also probably no recall.

I'm not an instant-expert at recalls or failure rates - but I have broken two (non-Shimano) cranksets while riding and have done a lot of research on the topic previously. I think in this case both the rate and the quantity are very large relative to what could be considered an "industry standard".
Old 09-22-2023, 08:51 AM

Anyone have any luck locating inspection procedure? I have 2 of these cranksets (1 dura ace, 1 ultegra) and they both feel and look fine - I'm not inclined to schlep for a 0.6% failure rate.

I reckon I put decent stress on my cranks, but I don't ride in the rain (although like most I do sweat), and the joint is pretty-well greased, although it doesn't take much to start corrosion.

What I don't understand is the Dura Ace NDS failure mode. The DS is the steel / aluminum bit creating some galvanic issue when moisture is introduced as I understand it? But the NDS is all aluminum and the interface with the spindle is an external connection.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:55 AM

There's some more information on how the recall is being handled in this article on the Bicycle Retailer And Industry News web site:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...4-500-incident

A few tidbits from the article:

Replacement cranks will be based on current 12spd cranks with special chainrings for 11spd compatibility. They claim these special chainrings will continue to be available in the future (so customers can replace them when the original ones wear out).

Not all lengths and chainrings sizes will be available in the replacement cranks. For example, 180mm Dura-Ace cranks will be replaced with 177.5mm cranks, and Ultegra 53/39 chainrings will be replaced with 52/36 chainrings.

If an affect crank arm has a 3rd party power meter installed (such as Stages or 4iiii), then the replacement crank arm will not have the power meter, but Shimano will compensate the consumer for the power meter.

Retailers taking part in the recall will be compensated $75 per inspection.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:05 AM
Randomhead

Is it possible that CX70 cranks have this issue? I have a CX70 that has seen a lot of hard usage in the rain. I guess they didn't sell many in comparison to Ultegra or Duraace.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:07 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
'A lot' being a distinction, arbitrary IME. The actual number suggests an actual data point. Due respect.

I remember in the 90s it seemed like all the Seagate PC hard drives were the ones failing. The number of failures was actually low per manufactured unit in service. But 90% of the drives out there were Seagate for a period. So the odds you didn't have a Seagate HD were low then.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Is it possible that CX70 cranks have this issue? I have a CX70 that has seen a lot of hard usage in the rain. I guess they didn't sell many in comparison to Ultegra or Duraace.
The CX70 is a Hollowtech II crank, however it maybe constructed with better sealing and exposure protection.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The CX70 is a hollow forging but it is not bonded together, it's forged as one piece with a void. The same type as seen here: http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-190.html
Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Think about it this way:

If every year a company sold a million cars, and of those million cars, (at least) 6,000 had their front wheels fall off - sometimes while driving without warning, sometimes after a few weeks of clicking, sometimes while sitting at home in the garage - That would be a big problem.

Now, would it be a big problem if they sold 100, and it happened once? Maybe? Probably not.

Or imagine if Shimano used this production technique for just one year. They made 76,000 cranksets (of Dura-Ace/Ultegra level) and 400 of them broke over the next decade. Probably a big enough deal that it would be known and discussed (like a few different classic and vintage known problem parts) but also probably no recall.

I'm not an instant-expert at recalls or failure rates - but I have broken two (non-Shimano) cranksets while riding and have done a lot of research on the topic previously. I think in this case both the rate and the quantity are very large relative to what could be considered an "industry standard".
So what is the "industry standard" for crank failures? I broke one due to damage and over the years saw a half dozed Cook Bros or Topline cracked cranks. By comparison I have never seen a broken R8000 or R9000 series crank due to this issue and work in the industry in a rather large market. These two comparisons seem "very large" given number sold vs these Shimano cranks. So far I guess...

Last edited by charliedid; 09-22-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:06 AM

Any ideas what makes the 12sp Ultegra (R8100) cranks, which Shimano offers as a replacement, better in terms of resistance to corrosion-induced delamination? Aren't the 12sp DA/Ultegra cranks still bonded? I'm thinking of upgrading to 12 speed Ultegra and seriously wonder whether it is safe to go for an Ultegra 12sp crank or downgrade to 105 (R7100)? With the 11sp, I would have definitely opted for the non-bonded, traditional hollow-forged 105 crankset, having read about these issues in various forums for years.