Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM

Concrete and Rebar: Rollers

So I am looking at eMotion vs TruTrainer reviews all over the place as I want to get some rollers for this winter, smart rollers.

I like the flywheel that TruTrainer has. I have ridden them in indoor competitions before but I have never ridden the eMotion ones. The flywheel gives an incredible real road feel to riding rollers but it's still tricky to get up and sprint. Seems like the eMotion ones have that locked down but they don't have the flywheel.

That got me to thinking. It got me to thinking about my current rollers. If I fill the rear roller with concrete and rebar and or ball bearings or something like that do you think that would mimic the TruTrainer flywheel?

We can also make this a TruTrainer vs eMotion thread too. I'd love to hear from your personal experience on either one of these.

Regards.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Some rollers have an "accessory" side for a belt driven fan (headwind maybe?), perhaps you could rig up a flywheel in that manner.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

We can also make this a TruTrainer vs eMotion thread too. I'd love to hear from your personal experience on either one of these.
Has already been discussed here a time or two. Fellow Paceliner 11.4, who knows his stuff, likes the TruTrainer rollers. I've got 11 yrs and more than 500 hrs on my set of eMotion rollers (in an unheated garage), and I love 'em.

So... Shimano vs Campy, or at least a bit like that.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:03 PM

What about This or thaT
Old 08-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
So I am looking at eMotion vs TruTrainer reviews all over the place as I want to get some rollers for this winter, smart rollers.

I like the flywheel that TruTrainer has. I have ridden them in indoor competitions before but I have never ridden the eMotion ones. The flywheel gives an incredible real road feel to riding rollers but it's still tricky to get up and sprint. Seems like the eMotion ones have that locked down but they don't have the flywheel.

That got me to thinking. It got me to thinking about my current rollers. If I fill the rear roller with concrete and rebar and or ball bearings or something like that do you think that would mimic the TruTrainer flywheel?

Regards.
Please post photos of this construction project and a test ride video.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Please post photos of this construction project and a test ride video.
I will do if I decide to do it.

Yeah I figured this would be a Ford Vs Chevy kind of thing. They both have pluses as far as I can tell with no minuses.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Why would you put rebar in the concrete?
Old 08-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Why would you put rebar in the concrete?
Make it heavier.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:04 PM

Filling it with concrete and rebar seems like it would be difficult to balance-- could cause vibration/shaking issues. Plus, it's relatively permanent and difficult to try. I don't know what the inside of an eMotion roller looks like, but it seems if the bearings are sealed off you could just fill it with sand to try it out. If it doesn't work, clean it out and you're back to normal.

However, I think there's more to this than just adding inertia to your rollers, otherwise why would TruTrainer go to the trouble of adding an internal flywheel when they could have just made the roller heavier. The flywheel smooths out/dampens the loading and unloading, in addition to simply adding inertia.

I'd be more inclined to try to mod the Tru-trainer frame to add the eMotion features if you must.

Last edited by mt2u77; 08-16-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Filling it with concrete and rebar seems like it would be difficult to balance-- could cause vibration/shaking issues. Plus, it's relatively permanent and difficult to try. I don't know what the inside of an eMotion roller looks like, but it seems if the bearings are sealed off you could just fill it with sand to try it out. If it doesn't work, clean it out and you're back to normal.

However, I think there's more to this than just adding inertia to your rollers, otherwise why would TruTrainer go to the trouble of adding an internal flywheel when they could have just made the roller heavier. The flywheel smooths out/dampens the loading and unloading, in addition to simply adding inertia.

I'd be more inclined to try to mod the Tru-trainer frame to add the eMotion features if you must.
Ah ok I was assuming that the TruTRainer worked by getting a heavy cylinder up to speed and storing the energy in that for coasting but I think you are suggesting that there is more to it then that.

Good idea on the sand.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

I just wanna' know if the nice TruTrainer "accessory step / platform" can work on the InsideRide smartrollers!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
I just wanna' know if the nice TruTrainer "accessory step / platform" can work on the InsideRide smartrollers!
That I have been thinking about too.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Here's another polite request for a posted video if you end up making this. I am interested in how it would turn out.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Filling it with concrete and rebar seems like it would be difficult to balance-- ...
Exactly my thought. Don't even think of trying it or you'll be eating the cost of one roller.

The reason for having the internal flywheel is so they can offer the option of disconnecting it, when you choose to rider TruTrainer's as standard rollers.

I have TruTrainer rollers. One benefit they have over the eMotions is they hold the wheels level to the ground. It feels more comfortable and natural riding in the drops. On standard rollers, where the rear wheel sits slightly lower than the front, I tend to use the tops of the bars more, otherwise I feel undue pressure in the private parts area.

I don't worry about the inability to sprint. That's such a minor quibble to me as not all rollers can be all things to all people.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:58 AM

Thankfully, at this stage of my life I've learned the cheapest way to do something is buy/do it once. I have some good equipment that I've long forgot how much I paid for it.