Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I looked for you and Angry and figured you did not make it. I dont think angry dis either.
true.

sadly missed my first D2 in many years, and really did miss being there. airlines and cross country flight conspired against me this year.

better planning next year!
Old 08-18-2019, 12:35 PM

I rode about half of the 160k with some good friends, we missed the lunch stop and ended up taking some alternate roads back into town. The new 160k was GREAT, awesome roads and perfectly spaced climbs. It was hard but always rewarding on the descents, including one incredible dirt/clay road that gripped like nothing I've ever ridden. Excited for next year.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:41 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
true.

sadly missed my first D2 in many years, and really did miss being there. airlines and cross country flight conspired against me this year.

There is always next year.

Also, did the ride on 35mm slicks and they were perfect for it. Not sure how the new 160k is, or the mystery but for the 100k, anything more than this is over kill (but surely more fun on hawks descent)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:30 PM
Post Mod-ern

Ummmm . . .

Pictures?

Just askin' . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
true.

Bummer. Sorry you missed it.

I had a bit of a tough day doing the 100k. Started out great, but after about 3 hours, got a banger of a headache and my stomach was, uh, unsettled. My legs felt great. I took my time at lunch, ate some, drank some, and tried to settle things down. Still felt like crap when I left lunch and was pondering heading straight back, but when I hit that hairpin turn after about 10 miles along the river, I didn't want to wimp out - and really wanted some peaches at Apex. Yes, the peaches were awesome. The legs still felt fine, but the head and stomach issues lingered. I spent an awful lot of time in my lowest gear after lunch.

After I finished, a dip in the river helped A LOT. So glad that river is there.

I'll tell you, I'm glad the ride was yesterday and not today - it was hot today.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I briefly met Ergott on a climb, he built the wheels I was riding.

Great event, as ever. Didn't meet any other Paceliners, but they may have avoided me as my bike has a Shimano drivetrain
It was great to see you out there!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 AM
ergottWheels

Here are some shots from before, during, and after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jg892edXxVWVogpw9

Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 AM

After a few years of tandeming I did the 160k solo this year. Having done all the non-mystery routes I was enticed by the "all new" aspect. It was great. Some familiar sections from other routes, past and present. There was nice variation in terrain-hard pack moist clay, loose gravel, narrow trail/forest road, etc. No boulder fields, which was nice. There was one very long and steep paved section done as descent that I am pretty sure I have done going uphill on one of the routes in the past. There was also particularly steep and pretty long uphill that was also loose and uneven, where I had to put a foot down. I did not make a note of which roads though.

I have a hard time getting started after stopping, and after lunch the miles and the elevation started to bite. But that is as it should be on a ride like this-if not I could be going harder.

Dont think I saw any paceliners.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post

Great event, as ever. Didn't meet any other Paceliners, but they may have avoided me as my bike has a Shimano drivetrain
I skipped the whole event after it was reported you might sully the ride with a Shimano drivetrain. Seems I dodged a bullet. I wish a speedy recovery to all those who experienced this brush with Shimano.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
what do you know about the mystery... do tell...
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I had inside info on the Mystery Ride, just that you never know what you're going to get.

I had a grand day out on the 160K. We didn't ride very fast, but I had lots of fun with two long time riding friends.

Chris
Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 AM

The start of Pennel (before I put a foot down):

The long stretch of Pennel (after I put a foot down):

Pictures don't do it justice.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:42 PM

Man, Pennel Hill....

In '13, I did the 115 which includes Pennel Hill. It must have been graded that morning because there were barely any car tracks on it when we got there - just all loose dirt and gravel. Just brutal trying to maintain traction. You'd be following some bike tracks, then see shoe prints. I thought it was worse than Patten because of the grading. Obviously, somebody's idea of a sick joke. Somehow, I made it up with no dabs.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:40 PM
Post Mod-ern

Thanks for the pics!

Wish I had been able to be there this year. It's great to know that the knight who says "Nee!" is still there. Also is that the covered bridge at the lunch stop? I know they were working on it for a couple of years.

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Here are some shots from before, during, and after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jg892edXxVWVogpw9

A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 PM

The bridge is back.

And plenty of Shimano in Deerfield:

Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore!
Old 08-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Bummer. Sorry you missed it.

I had a bit of a tough day doing the 100k. Started out great, but after about 3 hours, got a banger of a headache and my stomach was, uh, unsettled. My legs felt great. I took my time at lunch, ate some, drank some, and tried to settle things down. Still felt like crap when I left lunch and was pondering heading straight back, but when I hit that hairpin turn after about 10 miles along the river, I didn't want to wimp out - and really wanted some peaches at Apex. Yes, the peaches were awesome. The legs still felt fine, but the head and stomach issues lingered. I spent an awful lot of time in my lowest gear after lunch.

After I finished, a dip in the river helped A LOT. So glad that river is there.

I'll tell you, I'm glad the ride was yesterday and not today - it was hot today.
I had the opposite day from you on the 100. With the humidity and moisture from the fog in the air, I couldn't breathe all morning. Felt so bad (and didn't have my inhaler with me) that I took the lunch shortcut. Ate a bunch at lunch, had a quick nap on the stump just behind the sandwich tent and headed out.

By then the sun was out and the humidity was way less. Felt great for the rest of the day that I had plenty of energy to bomb down hawks and haul ass the rest of the way to beer. Had a great time overall and loved being able to grind in the afternoon since I didn't have anyone to wait for.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk