Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 PM

My first Serotta

It’s a steel fierte with carbon stays from 2008. Thrilled to own this. I’m from Saratoga, grew up with Ben’s daughter Emily, and my cousin’s machine shop used to make parts for them before it all went in house. I’ve got some tweaks I want to make to it, but this is a bike I’ve wanted for 15 years.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 AM

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I can't quite tell if those wheels are Mavic Aksiums, but if they are, I'd encourage you to try some other wheels at some point. Aksiums were built to a budget and ride a little dull and a little harsh.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Congrats and welcome to the forum!

I can't quite tell if those wheels are Mavic Aksiums, but if they are, I'd encourage you to try some other wheels at some point. Aksiums were built to a budget and ride a little dull and a little harsh.

Thanks. They’re not the aksiums (though I do have a pair of those on my cannondale caad 9 5 from 2010, and they were an upgrade from the alex rims it came with). They’re mavic ksyrium elites. Ride really nicely. I’m also a big guy (280, 6’3”), so I have to be careful which rims I ride. I used to use open pros for years.

Right now the bike is built full 10 spd ultegra 6650 compact crank, ultegra brakes as well. I’m probably switching the seat post over to my thomson elite since they’re bullet proof, and going with a brooks swift ti seat instead of the b17 standard I have now. I figure I can always take more weight off myself than the bike, lol.

I was in a head-on collision with a drunk driver 5 years ago, and couldn’t ride for quite a while. After I healed up, I just hadn’t made time for biking. It feels good to be on a bike again, didn’t realize how much I missed it.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:53 AM

Congratulations on the new ride and more importantly being back on the bike. Fiertes are just great rides all around. And most Serottas are still among the best — anytime, anywhere. Enjoy the heck out of it. And welcome to the forum.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Thanks Fish. Getting it setup and adjusted the past few days. Picked up a new cateye gps computer, gloves, bottle and helmet. My old helmet was from 2007, probably not so safe anymore. I switched out the ritchey carbon post for my thomson elite. Much easier to adjust saddle position and 63 grams lighter. Go figure.

I have a used brooks black leather swift on the way, pretty sure it’s the ti version. Think that’s about all I’m going to do to it for now. Might need to switch to a wider handlebar, but we’ll see how this one feels first.

The bottle cages are old cinellis from the 90’s, lol. They came on my first road bike back in 2003 (a lemond zurich that was a tad too large for me stand over wise, perfect length top tube), and they’ve been transferred ever since. They’re getting kind of worn out. Was thinking of getting a set of those cheapie CF cages from amazon, though I’m open to suggestions.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Went for my first real ride today! Took a wrong turn and ended up on a dead end gravel road, where a guy literally tried to buy my bike from me when I stopped to turn around and find pavement again, lol. That was a first. I told him this one is going to the grave with me.

It felt so good to be on a bike again. It just wasn’t an option for months after the accident from damage to my chest, and then I just came up with excuses. Hopefully never again.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 AM
Lanterne rouge

Thats a good looking bike. Enjoy it.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman View Post
Thanks Fish. Getting it setup and adjusted the past few days. Picked up a new cateye gps computer, gloves, bottle and helmet. My old helmet was from 2007, probably not so safe anymore. I switched out the ritchey carbon post for my thomson elite. Much easier to adjust saddle position and 63 grams lighter. Go figure.

I have a used brooks black leather swift on the way, pretty sure it’s the ti version. Think that’s about all I’m going to do to it for now. Might need to switch to a wider handlebar, but we’ll see how this one feels first.

The bottle cages are old cinellis from the 90’s, lol. They came on my first road bike back in 2003 (a lemond zurich that was a tad too large for me stand over wise, perfect length top tube), and they’ve been transferred ever since. They’re getting kind of worn out. Was thinking of getting a set of those cheapie CF cages from amazon, though I’m open to suggestions.
Looks like 'handlebra' wrap. Is it handlebra? I love that stuff...
Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Looks like 'handlebra' wrap. Is it handlebra? I love that stuff...

It’s deda bar tape. Comfortable, but I’m not in love with the color. Probably going cinelli next time around.