Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 11:30 AM

911 or Cayman with a good history. I have a '99 996 that's never had the IMS done. When I bought it, I had the oil pan pulled. No debris was found, nor in the oil or filter when they've been changed since then. There are a few other known issues like the variocam. But once dealt with, then it's a very reliable car.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:36 AM

miata as grand tourer? seriously?

sure why not. i hear mtb's and their low gearing with smooth tires are going to be used at alpe de huez by pro tour teams next year.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Member?

If you want a GT...Panamera.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
If you want a GT...Panamera.
i LOVE their steak and arugula sandwich !

Old 08-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
As a true gt, there is really nothing in the price range that beats a well maintained used sl500 or 600 mb. NOT a sports car, but I love mine when I'm in the mood to tour. I have a turbo 911 to wail, so I know what the difference is.

Yes, if let go they are money pits. Well maintained they are not, if I spend 1-2k on mine annually (on average) I'd be surprised. Look at the cars that BruceM has on bring a trailer, he sorts his very well.

As an example, I purchased a 96 sl600 v12 for under 10k, put about 2k into immediate needs and tires, and it has cost me less than 1k annually 3 years in (I do diy basic needs). Its on the upside of the value curve now as well.
The Phoenix area is a Mecca for older, well maintained German sports cars and they depreciate like rocks in a lake. There are many great deals available. I have bought 5 90's Mercedes and never paid more than $6k. My sons are now driving 2 of them. Newer ones can be had for $10-20k. The key is to have a good indie mechanic. I do.

My 96 SL500 -- a highway monster! It's my Miami Vice car.

IMG_6167 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

Last edited by RFC; 08-18-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=RFC;2581667]The Phoenix area is a Mecca for older, well maintained German sports cars and they depreciate like rocks in a lake. There are many great deals available. I have bought 5 90's Mercedes and never paid more than $6k. My sons are now driving 2 of them. Newer ones can be had for $10-20k. The key is to have a good indie mechanic. I do.

My 96 SL500 -- a highway monster! It's my Miami Vice car.[QUOTE=RFC;2581667]

Beautiful black on black-brave man in AZ

Seriously, I've been shy about AZ cars due to the 90's plastics-ie the courtesy light thingy-that seem not up to uv abuse.

Still deals out there-bought a 98 sl600 in triple black with a pano for a buddy of mine last month in Tampa. 5k. Interior perfect, needs top hydraulics and a fender dent repaired. He has a body shop, so no problem for him. Likely a 15k car after 3k in work, and it has not just a pano but a one year only leather airbag cover.

Last edited by glepore; 08-18-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:46 PM

Calling a Miata a grand tourer is a bit like calling a Schwinn Sting Ray a randonneur bike.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
you have to say it in Ricardo Montalban voice and roll the "r'...Corrrrrrrinthian leather...lol!
And better if you are wearing Brut at the same time...
Old 08-18-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
you have to say it in Ricardo Montalban voice and roll the "r'...Corrrrrrrinthian leather...lol!
go to about 8:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=NbBlIa5OtgU
Old 08-18-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Calling a Miata a grand tourer is a bit like calling a Schwinn Sting Ray a randonneur bike.

No, no, no......ya' just don't get it. Miata is always the right answer, GT, sports car, economy car, track car, commuter, etc, etc, etc..... Miata is always the answer.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=glepore;2581679][QUOTE=RFC;2581667]The Phoenix area is a Mecca for older, well maintained German sports cars and they depreciate like rocks in a lake. There are many great deals available. I have bought 5 90's Mercedes and never paid more than $6k. My sons are now driving 2 of them. Newer ones can be had for $10-20k. The key is to have a good indie mechanic. I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post

Beautiful black on black-brave man in AZ

Seriously, I've been shy about AZ cars due to the 90's plastics-ie the courtesy light thingy-that seem not up to uv abuse.

Still deals out there-bought a 98 sl600 in triple black with a pano for a buddy of mine last month in Tampa. 5k. Interior perfect, needs top hydraulics and a fender dent repaired. He has a body shop, so no problem for him. Likely a 15k car after 3k in work, and it has not just a pano but a one year only leather airbag cover.
Yes, the AZ sun can eat up paint and soft tops. But, because of the Snow Bird populations, many of these cars are stored in garages and may not be driven for months at a time. Also, rust is not an issue here.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
No, no, no......ya' just don't get it. Miata is always the right answer, GT, sports car, economy car, track car, commuter, etc, etc, etc..... Miata is always the answer.
My apologies, I was raised by wolves.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=RFC;2581695][QUOTE=glepore;2581679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
The Phoenix area is a Mecca for older, well maintained German sports cars and they depreciate like rocks in a lake. There are many great deals available. I have bought 5 90's Mercedes and never paid more than $6k. My sons are now driving 2 of them. Newer ones can be had for $10-20k. The key is to have a good indie mechanic. I do.

Yes, the AZ sun can eat up paint and soft tops. But, because of the Snow Bird populations, many of these cars are stored in garages and may not be driven for months at a time. Also, rust is not an issue here.
Yep, my favorite local used dealer that I've bought 4 vehicles off of loves to hit the AZ auctions. Low mileage cars in great shape with good repair records. I picked up a nicely optioned, mint looking, F-150 Lariet from them last year that came out of AZ. 10 years old and only 60,000 miles and not a thing wrong with it.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
He wants a “Grand Touring” car. Many of the suggestions don’t seem to fit that category. GT is typically a lux coupe for long distance driving. Think Herse rando bike, not a Spec Tarmac or Super Six.

I would suggest trying out an Infiniti coupe (older G37 or newer Q). BMW or Audi going for $25k may be coming up on a lot of maintenance trips to the dealer.
This

If he really want a true GT (Grand Touring) car then he is talking about a Lux Coupe.

Have him look into Mercedes CL cars they are true GT cars.

Last edited by KarlC; 08-19-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM

While there are many nice to consider, if you're looking for touring, convertible, and good reliability, Lexus SC430. Certainly not the fastest, nor most agile, but fast enough, a great highway cruiser, and bullet proof on the reliability part.