Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 08:02 AM

I’m not one of those that uses sandals or sneakers in all conditions. I’ve seen people that do though and they do quite fine. Obviously they arent doing this up Everest. But I’ve seen people in sandals and socks in the Adirondacks in extremely cold winter conditions. They are nuts I think but don’t appear to suffer.

In the winter I wear thin liner socks with a vapor barrier sock that is knee high and extremely warm and waterproof. It is thick so I need a size up in trail shoes. This works in anything I’ve experienced that’s not mountaineering needing stiffer shoes.

In the other seasons the same shoe in a smaller size…
Old 03-03-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Backpacking light forum used to be another haunt for me and guys with a ton more distance hiking experience than I ever will aggressively argue that is simply not true and I will have to agree.
These are also the same people cutting their toothbrush handle in half, and drilling holes in the remaining part to make it lighter.

Fastpacking and superlight has a place if you have limited time and want to max out mileage.

But for us mortals, life's too short.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM
Administrator

I can never understand the hiking in sandals thing. I guess it depends on terrain, but how the hell do you keep little pebbles and gritty mud from getting in and cutting/chafing the foot?
Old 03-03-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I can never understand the hiking in sandals thing. I guess it depends on terrain, but how the hell do you keep little pebbles and gritty mud from getting in and cutting/chafing the foot?
Last time I hiked fast in my chacos I ripped half my big toe nail off hitting it on a rock. I decided that is the last time and will stick with trail shoes from now on. The chacos are heavy but comfortable and work through anything. I rarely get small rocks under the foot even when hiking in kitty litter rocks in the desert. Never did one cause a cut, occasionally it would hurt a bit, usually though not enough to stop me to remove, and I’d just shake it out while walking.

Bedrock sandals expose the foot even more but offer an exceptional feel and traction. I hiked up mt LeConte after a heavy rain last summer in them newly purchased the day before with no break in. The trail was very wet; basically a cold wet stream the entire way. My feet were cool feeling and wet but it was tolerable and it didn’t matter where I stepped. I had thick winter socks to wear on dry happy feet that night on top the mtn where we stayed. Others with me in boots and shoes still had wet feet the next day and two had blisters from softening skin.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-03-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
That has not been my experience. Mid cut boots give me more ankle support.

I have extremely flat feet which cause me to pronate and also results in ankle instability. I do strengthening exercises for them all the time.
I have high arches and pronate big time, also. Insoles, a low drop shoe between 0-4mm, lacing methods and simply getting used to low tops alleviated all of this for me. I’m sure you’ve tried different footwear and if you’re happy with what you have - great. But trail runners really are the bees knees. IMO. My die hard leather hiking boot ‘ankle support’ dad even finally made the switch last year and he lives in boggy, muddy England. He constantly tells me about how happy he is with the change and he’s almost 70.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 03-03-2024 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:56 AM

I do a weekly 13-16 mile power hike. I am 200lbs so I am hard on shoes. I can crush a pair of Keens in no time and same with HOKAs. For me I have found TOPO ultra adventures last the longest.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I do a weekly 13-16 mile power hike. I am 200lbs so I am hard on shoes. I can crush a pair of Keens in no time and same with HOKAs. For me I have found TOPO ultra adventures last the longest.
well, thanks for all the info - after "the crusher's" input, I'm turning off email notifications, as most of the stuff coming in now will not be helpful. I did receive some really good ideas and shoes to try though - I won't share here, as the internet will try to impose it's will upon me.

Yes, the crusher comes from the bugs bunny wrestling episode!
Old 03-03-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
Do th Topo's have a wider toe box than other shoes you have tried?
Old 03-03-2024, 11:39 AM

Fit is the most important thing. If they don't fit, the greatest, longest lasting boots in the world aren't very good to you. That's why buying online is risky unless you know the boots fit well.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Do th Topo's have a wider toe box than other shoes you have tried?
It is semi shoe dependent - some Topo’s are wider than other Topo’s and different upper construction also impacts how wide they *feel*. For example a Terraventure feels wider than a Runventure because the upper fabric is softer and more pliable on the Terraventure. But generally standard width Topo (they don’t do wides) is going to feel as wide or wider than most any other brands ‘wide’. My Topo’s are the same width as a wide Altra Lone Peak, wider than my wide Hoka Speedgoat, wider than anything I’ve ever tried from Oboz, Keen and the other more traditionally available hiking shoe manufacturers.

But the main difference is the shape of the shoe. A topo is ‘foot shaped’ whereas many other shoes are not. Definitely worth trying them out.

For hiking - the Terraventure is the best shoe they make (I’ve tried literally all of them other than their very low stack running shoes). The most important feature of the Terra is its rock plate. Hiking without rock plate in other Topo’s is way less pleasant IMO.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:05 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Big fan and long time wearer of Lowa Renegades.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:13 PM

+100 to the trail runner positives for hiking.

Speedgoats are the bomb. For waterproof trail runners I love Saucony Peregrine GTXs. I tried La Sportiva stuff and regretted it every time.

But yeah, they are like saddles; you have to find your fit.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
It is semi shoe dependent - some Topo’s are wider than other Topo’s and different upper construction also impacts how wide they *feel*. For example a Terraventure feels wider than a Runventure because the upper fabric is softer and more pliable on the Terraventure. But generally standard width Topo (they don’t do wides) is going to feel as wide or wider than most any other brands ‘wide’. My Topo’s are the same width as a wide Altra Lone Peak, wider than my wide Hoka Speedgoat, wider than anything I’ve ever tried from Oboz, Keen and the other more traditionally available hiking shoe manufacturers.

But the main difference is the shape of the shoe. A topo is ‘foot shaped’ whereas many other shoes are not. Definitely worth trying them out.

For hiking - the Terraventure is the best shoe they make (I’ve tried literally all of them other than their very low stack running shoes). The most important feature of the Terra is its rock plate. Hiking without rock plate in other Topo’s is way less pleasant IMO.
I have the older version of the terraventures (2 I think) that are getting worn out -- can confirm these are the best 'trail' shoe I've owned (and I've tried a lot) and once you switch to foot shape shoes you will never want to switch back. Have you tried their mid hiking boot, or the newer traverse shoes?
Old 03-04-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

Thanks, I don't have a wide foot, but I'm looking for something that is foot shaped to head off some developing foot issues. The Terraventure seem like they should work for hiking and as an everyday shoe.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Fit is the most important thing. If they don't fit, the greatest, longest lasting boots in the world aren't very good to you. That's why buying online is risky unless you know the boots fit well.
This.

I do a 2-3 week long trips every year, several long weekends, and try to get out for a day several times a month. My job involves a lot of walking too. I'm in my 60s so I don't try to rack up maximum miles every time I go either, I try to take in as much as I can every time I go out though. Fit is everything. When I'm miles from everyone and any services, I don't give a rip about anything but being comfortable and being able to keep on going.