Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
He just passes them on before they get soiled.
Funny thing is those Giro shoes probably have 7-8K mi on them - but they wipe clean really easily, and hold up well...

I am suffering for finding shoes that really work for me though. Giro 49s are almost okay on width, but a bit too long and loose in the heel. I really need customs unfortunately. Lake 48s are too short. Lake 50s are too long. It's exasperating.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
My overwhelming guess is that Clean is the ultimate sandbagger.

"Guys, I dont have the legs today, I really want to take it easy out there"

"Yea, Yea Dan, Just try not to look so well rested when you're waiting for us at the top, eh"

Ha ha, if only that were true.. There's ALWAYS someone faster, even when I have good legs. Doubling down on the training though, so maybe I'll get closer one of these days.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Funny thing is those Giro shoes probably have 7-8K mi on them - but they wipe clean really easily, and hold up well...

I am suffering for finding shoes that really work for me though. Giro 49s are almost okay on width, but a bit too long and loose in the heel. I really need customs unfortunately. Lake 48s are too short. Lake 50s are too long. It's exasperating.
Don Lamson can make your feet smile in a big way. My shoes by Don are the best money I ever spent on cycling.

dave
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Don Lamson can make your feet smile in a big way. My shoes by Don are the best money I ever spent on cycling.

dave
Thanks Dave, I'll look into that (EDIT: looked, and now I see that he's back on his own - will have to do some research given the investment, but if it solves my foot pain/numbness, probably worth it..) The other option I might explore is some newer Bonts - have heard they fit a wide foot okay. I tried their lower level ones a couple years ago and the arches killed me - maybe things have changed.

In other news, put the 27c tubular WI/Nemesis 28H wheelset back on for today's ride - really takes it up a notch - probably my favorite wheelset to ride with it to date, even though I like the braking a bit better on the TB14s.

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-14-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:16 PM

Sweet ride Clean!! I may have to own a Kirk someday.

You can't go wrong with tubbies!

You should take a look at Luck shoes from Spain. I have semi-custom ones I got last year and they have been absolutely amazing. I'm sure Lamson makes perfect shoes but my Lucks are about 1/4 the price...just another option to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
Sweet ride Clean!! I may have to own a Kirk someday.

You can't go wrong with tubbies!

You should take a look at Luck shoes from Spain. I have semi-custom ones I got last year and they have been absolutely amazing. I'm sure Lamson makes perfect shoes but my Lucks are about 1/4 the price...just another option to consider.

Do it. Hard to regret supporting the artist when everything is done to perfection..

I love mine for solo rides and fun-pace club runs - pretty much everything short of all-out race-pace 26mph+ type hammerfests (aero bikes have their place). There's just no other bike I enjoy riding this much day in, day out. And since the vast majority of my miles are of the first type, this is the perfect main setup for me.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
There's just no other bike I enjoy riding this much day in, day out.
I heard from a source of authority that the bees like em' too.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I heard from a source of authority that the bees like em' too.
Ha ha, man, it got worse before it got better. The Benadryl worked eventually though...will be carrying some on my rides going forward.

Also picked up some bigger sunglasses. You'd approve - Oakley Radar Prism for $60 w case from our second-hand outdoor store.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM

For those not on Instagram..

I had a six-hour drive up from Portland to Wenatchee, WA yesterday, plus an hour standing in line waiting for construction to clear on Blewett Pass, to get up here for a work conference that's going on for a couple days. Got in around 5:30p and hustled into my kit. I rented a SUV for the drive so I could put the Kirk in carefully and fully intact. Quick air check in the freshly-mounted 30c Challenge Paris Roubaix open tubulars, and I was off.

It was in the low 90s in town with a nice little breeze as I made my may over to the long road that runs out of the SW edge and all the way up to Mission Ridge. Passing apple orchards and mini-ranches, I settled in to a decent rhythm in my 34/27 as the road wavered between 6-8% on the lower slopes. After 30 mins or so, I started passing the last of the houses and the pitches picked up a bit into the 8-10% range, which had me wishing for something a bit easier than 34/29 with the fat tires on there [it doesn't get discussed enough how these bigger tires mean you're turning a bigger effective gear, let alone the wait and drag].

An hour in and I reached the split where the road to Mission Ridge turns to rougher chip-seal and the views start to open. Pushing on, I just kept thinking about how much the road and terrain reminded me of riding the canyons outside Boulder - and how much I miss having access to that type of long-climb riding on a regular basis.

A few more miles like that, helmet off, in and out of the saddle, not a car in sight, enjoying the shade cast by the mountain as the sun tucked over the other side of the ridge and welcoming the mid-60s temps - and it was all over.

A couple quick pics, a text to my wife not to worry about me being out this late (now 7:30 or so), and it was time to descend. Something else I hadn't done in a while - a long, long descent off a mountain with consistent pitches like that, pulsing on and off the brakes, trying not to overheat things, trying to stay loose. I'll be honest, I haven't been descending well lately. I keep tensing up when getting above 40mph or so and inducing some head waggle. I may not have my headset adjusted right. Or maybe the tires aren't seated perfectly. Or it could be the pavement. Whatever, I'm just not feeling confident - so I kept it calm, enjoyed the views and pushed on back into town, feeling the heat build back into the mid-80s by the time I was back.

It was only just under 30mi, not a big ride - but oh so satisfying. I really need to make more of a habit of bringing my bike with me on work trips. A few hours out is all it takes to make the most of the time available.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2555200764

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:24 PM
what's a little rust?

Nice work! That Mission Ridge road is in marginal shape on a good day, so you should feel free to blame it a bit, even when you're on an amazing bike. Such lovely country, though.

I will return to the neighborhood of McKenzie Pass next week. The relatively good condition of that road surprises me, given the weather it sees.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Nice work! That Mission Ridge road is in marginal shape on a good day, so you should feel free to blame it a bit, even when you're on an amazing bike. Such lovely country, though.

I will return to the neighborhood of McKenzie Pass next week. The relatively good condition of that road surprises me, given the weather it sees.
Thanks - they've repaved a decent section of the road on the lower slopes..

I'm doing the "Joe Miller" loop this afternoon. It's going to be a bit hotter, so we'll see how I hold up.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Boogie mode.

The difference in speed, handling, and efficiency that comes from a wheel/tire swap and dropping the bars 1cm makes is pretty surprising. All-rounder to thoroughbred just like that.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 PM

I really enjoy seeing the build iterations. This version is particularly nice.