Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Motorola Caloi Team Bike

I won this on ebay after missing it on the forum about a little over year or so ago. It measures about 60x60 and belonged to Cezary Zamana on the 95' team, and formerly to AndySti on the forum, then apparently to someone in Australia, then I got it from a guy named Bradley Wiggins in the UK. Now I don't know if it was that Bradley Wiggins, although he is listed at 6'3" +/- so it could fit him... but whether or not it was that guy, whoever he had ship the bike put the frame in a frame box, put a bubble wrap bag over the top, and stuffed it in a bike box so the thing rattled around across the pond on the trip. Bent the dropout screws and put a decent scratch on the bottom of the chainstay... happily nothing worse. I took my time and spent a couple days touching up chips here, then wet sanding, repeat until satisfied. Didn't get an exact color match on the red, but pretty close, got a good match on the blue and gray.

I have not finished putting it together how I want yet, but did get it built enough to take out for a ride today and it was a nice riding frame and with a couple mid ride tweaks fit is pretty spot on. It was a little odd when I was riding it as I had it mostly in the big ring and was just chugging up hills in the 53 ring most of the time... not fast mind you, but steady and didn't feel laborious. Normally on my other bikes I use the small chainring and spin more, but this bike just seemed to respond better at lower cadence. Maybe that was just me... time will tell. I have Campy 10 on my other bikes so the switch to Shimano 8s STI was a little different. My thumbs occasionally went for where the levers are on campy... oh well. Been a while since I've owned a Shimano equipped bike, but it rides and shifts well so the hood shape will just take some getting used to.

Still on the to-do list are to build up matching wheels, probably go with different bars as the antomic shape didn't feel quite right but maybe it will grow on me, possibly different stem and seatpost, planning for tan wall tires as well.

A couple post ride pictures... temp at the end was about 98°, but felt like what the computer shows.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 08-20-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:33 PM

Awesome!
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Is that a Mavic stem? If so, what length (120mm?) and how much?
Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 AM

Yes!!! So glad to see it here. I know we couldn't work something out at the time I sold it. Super glad you have it now. Like I said in my for sale post - I bought it in Waukesha at the Motorola US service course. Have fun with it!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Sweet Merckx. Looks awesome now and should be even better after you make the changes you listed.

Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlist View Post
Is that a Mavic stem? If so, what length (120mm?) and how much?
Yes that is a Mavic stem, 130mm. I've been sitting on it for several years waiting for the right bike to use it . If I switch to 26.4 bars I'll swap it out. May try to find something with a shape like the 3T ergosum bars, but in 26.0 clamp size.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Yes that is a Mavic stem, 130mm. I've been sitting on it for several years waiting for the right bike to use it . If I switch to 26.4 bars I'll swap it out. May try to find something with a shape like the 3T ergosum bars, but in 26.0 clamp size.
If a less than pristine Merckx panto Cinelli XA in 125 x 26.4 would work for you let me know. I had been planning on using it for my new 63TT Stuttgart Merckx assuming the STA would be in the 71-71.5 range but it appears to be closer to 72-72.5 so a shorter reach solution will be in order.

What's the tubing on this bike?
Old 07-03-2019, 03:36 PM

I'll see what bars I end up with for this, thank you for the offer. I have a 110 1a if that helps your Stuttgart frame. This one is SLX, there are more details on the frame here...
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t
Old 07-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Yes!!! So glad to see it here. I know we couldn't work something out at the time I sold it. Super glad you have it now. Like I said in my for sale post - I bought it in Waukesha at the Motorola US service course. Have fun with it!
Thanks. I'm glad to have a chance to ride it, and it is fun to know it's history. I saved a copy of the hang tag pictures you originally posted with frame/rider info. I am curious if you recall a big scratch on the underside of the drive side chainstay when you had it? I referenced your photos before bidding as the eBay pics were not nearly as detailed.

Now if I could just figure out the history on the 7-11 mxl, that itch would be satisfied.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Happy Hourist

Can't resist:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hampsten_93_tdf.jpg (127.5 KB, 224 views)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampco View Post
Can't resist:

Are you suggesting I go with a downtube front shifter setup and drilled QR skewers to save weight... or drop a few pounds so the engine is a little more svelte?

Early 90s' was when I got my first road bike and started getting into the cycling world. Nice picture.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 07-03-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:26 AM

Beautiful and glad you are enjoying the ride.

I 2nd the vote to move to DT shifters....I did on my Yates Caloi and it's a nice diversion from the rest of my bikes, not to mention the way he rode it (as one of the last hold-outs for DT shifters).

Interesting about the Wiggo shipping issue. I only got my Yates bike because he was haggling over shipping and I was willing to pay for it, and another friend of mine sold him a bike and he was a pain about shipping as well. I'd expect more from him.