Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 04:22 PM

On the super difficult tires where the bead pops out a few cm in front of where you’re levering it in, I secure the tire down real tight with duct tape. I suppose some form of belt or Velcro strap will also work. That will help keep the bead from popping out.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Although I'm getting the hang of putting new tires on without it, I use a Bead Jack at home, and I carry the VAR tool in my bike bag for use on the road (if necessary).
Old 09-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jischr View Post
Wow, wish I knew about the bead jack 3 weeks ago. I was trying to mount new Veloflex tires and latex tubes on Neutron Ultra rims
Ah, Neutron Ultras, a classic rim for difficulty mounting tires. Been there.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Randomhead

there was a video of someone stepping on a tire to get the last little bit over the edge of the rim. I think they used high heels. Can't find it now.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:47 AM

Wish I had this information a week ago. . .I spent a couple hours last Friday night mounting a pair of GP5000s on our tandem. My hands are still sore!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
there was a video of someone stepping on a tire to get the last little bit over the edge of the rim. I think they used high heels. Can't find it now.
I used that technique a couple weeks ago and I also looked for clip but couldn't find it. I keep a snug fitting pair of leather gloves near my work station as Red Tornado suggested, they do wonders on saving my arthritic hands.

To use your foot: work the bead on by hand as best you can until there are only 6" or less to go over the rim. Stand the wheel and tire vertically with the stubborn bead on your right. Place the wheel next to your right leg and step on the stubborn part with the inside of your right foot. While standing on the bead
tilt the wheel away (toward horizontal)or to your left and the bead will pop on (sometimes it takes a few tries). Hope that description is understandable.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Soapy water should make this pretty easy.

My MTB with most tubeless tires you're not getting them on even with a bunch of tire irons the first time you mount a new tire.

With soap they go on without tire irons.

I've got some Gorilla grip gloves.. they're these weird gloves that are like thin cotton impregnated with rubber. They'd be great for this. They're really neat work gloves as they're protective yet thin enough you can actually pick up small bolts and washers and stuff while wearing them.

I'd be careful using feet and/or stretching/pulling on the beat to try and stretch the tire out.. I messed up a tire once doing that.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Kind of OK

I'm sure someone else has asked this but: what type of rim tape? I have moved strictly to tubeless tape, even on tubed tires. It's much thinner than most of the rim strips and gobs thinner than Velox.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

If you have tubeless tires and/or rims SOP is to start opposite the valve and work towards it.

Do that and it's a whole less likely that you'll need a bead jack.

M