Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 PM

IMO best bang for the buck are kinlins... you can buy a few kinlin rims per one hed...
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Just got a set of a slightly different rims, but a similar build: DT411s with Aerolite spokes to White Industries hubs. Have been great wheels so far.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those rim options. Had a TB14 set of H Plus Son's for awhile that rode well, and a set of Belgiums I absolutely beat on for years.
My 411s are built on Bitex hubs.

Been great in the few months I've had them.

Just re-hubbed my DT Swiss/Belgium Black front wheel. Even used, the Belgiums build really well and really quickly.

Haven't run Archetypes, but aren't they a significantly deeper rim than the Belgiums?

I HAVE built a 'winter wheel' with Ultegra/Formula hubs and DB Sapim spokes. That wheelset looks awesome on a steel bike. They're most similar to the Omega XL rims Campy came out with in the early 90s, but with a more modern alloy.

M
Old 09-18-2019, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
My 411s are built on Bitex hubs.

Been great in the few months I've had them.

Just re-hubbed my DT Swiss/Belgium Black front wheel. Even used, the Belgiums build really well and really quickly.

Haven't run Archetypes, but aren't they a significantly deeper rim than the Belgiums?

I HAVE built a 'winter wheel' with Ultegra/Formula hubs and DB Sapim spokes. That wheelset looks awesome on a steel bike. They're most similar to the Omega XL rims Campy came out with in the early 90s, but with a more modern alloy.

M
Archetypes 25mm, HED 24mm..so not really. I wouldn't be surprised if HED and H+Son are built in the same place.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Archetypes 25mm, HED 24mm..so not really. I wouldn't be surprised if HED and H+Son are built in the same place.
there ya go

Learn something every day

May have to buy a pair of Archetypes and build something up. I've got 'extra' hubs laying around...

M
Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 AM

H+Son definitely not built in the same facility as HED. H+Son has their own manufacturing.

From a wheelbuilder's perspective, I can't tell the difference between H+Son and HED. They both build easily. I consider both to be top tier alloy rims.