Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 10:14 AM

Shoe stretching?

Looking to gain a few mm in the toe box of my Shimano shoe (rc903).

Obviously not leather (micro-fiber leather ...aka fake leather) but was curious to see if anyone has a DIY method to get some more room. Length is what I am looking for.

TIA
Old 05-10-2024, 10:29 AM

Have you worn them much? My 902s are pretty stretchy, pack the toe box with some socks?
Old 05-10-2024, 10:31 AM

I've tried shoe stretchers with the rc902 but the synthetic uppers won't budge too much
Old 05-10-2024, 10:48 AM

Width or length?

I was able to get ~2mm of width in a pair of 903s with a cheap Miserwe shoe stretcher.

Length is not really possible in a modern cycling shoe thanks to the synthetic upper and fixed sole length.

Edit: Nevermind. I just reread your post and realized you specifically requested "length." I'm sorry for being a subpar reader. If the length of a shoe is too short you'll need to size up.

Last edited by sheepbleat; 05-10-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:53 AM

Stretching

I don't think anything will meaningfully change the length of the shoe. What about different insoles?
If an insole takes up less space or allows the heel to sit a bit deeper it may work. Also, if the insoles better supports the foot and props up the arch it may make the foot effectively shorter.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:53 AM

Heat and width stretchers might work.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:09 PM

Good point. I am going to trim/grind my orthotic (thickness) under the big toe area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I don't think anything will meaningfully change the length of the shoe. What about different insoles?
If an insole takes up less space or allows the heel to sit a bit deeper it may work. Also, if the insoles better supports the foot and props up the arch it may make the foot effectively shorter.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
I've tried shoe stretchers with the rc902 but the synthetic uppers won't budge too much
Same experience here. I've tried large expandable shoe stretchers in shimano shoes to increase the width of the toe box, had them to the max and literally left for about a month. Removed the stretchers, gained almost nothing. That synthetic material they use just doesn't stretch.

If you really need more room, go half a size up and/or try the wide version. For 3mm length, I think the half size up is your best bet.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:36 PM

I used a shoe stretcher on my 903s and they seem to have worked. If you can add some heat initially that might help too.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:39 PM

I have a shoe stretcher (wood and metal, no plastic) and I tried to stecth some Specialized MTB shoes along with a paint stripping heat gun.
Way too hot and uncontrollable. Didn't take long to burn a hole through the mesh area so maybe stick with a good hairdryer.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:29 PM

The control comes from adjusting the distance to the item being heated and keeping the the heat moving back and forth.

There's really no comparison with a hair dryer as far as effectiveness when you need heat.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
The control comes from adjusting the distance to the item being heated and keeping the the heat moving back and forth.

There's really no comparison with a hair dryer as far as effectiveness when you need heat.
Yep

Also alcohol is what's in the little red bottle of secret sauce they sell with stretchers on Amazon etc.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:06 AM

I'd be inclined to try stretcher + heat gun.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:25 AM

would a shoe stretcher and heat gut possibly smooth out an irritating bump, probably a seam, over the ring toe knuckle?
Old 05-12-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
would a shoe stretcher and heat gut possibly smooth out an irritating bump, probably a seam, over the ring toe knuckle?

It's not likely to 'smooth' anything out like a bulky seam or rough stitching but you could create space to eliminate contact with your foot.

Heat the area slowly and then use the rounded end of a tool handle or length of dowel to push the spot outward. Hold the shape until the shoe cools.