Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
thoughts in my mind precovid: "oh no, that thing is 70% off! i dont need it but it is 70% off." then i rush to rummage through my wallet for my credit card.

thoughts in my mind during covid: "oh yes, that thing is IN STOCK at msrp!" I better buy it now before someone else does." then i reluctantly buy it.

oh covid, how i curse you!
where have all my deals gone?
The deal is availability.

I just bought a new car (where this rack will be mated with.) And it is a seller market. Dealer will not budge, specially in metro area. They probably don't make as much as before when they were selling below invoice simply because there just aren't that many cars in the lot (same as bikes in LBS.)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:25 AM
Zeese Blevens

Mum's the word.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A1up-usa.com+exclusive-access&oq=site%3A1up-usa.com+exclusive-access
Old 09-22-2021, 06:11 AM

I recently came off the wait list and opted to not pay the express delivery. It still arrived within a week (from WI to MD).
Old 09-22-2021, 07:00 AM
Administrator

A good rack is invaluable for the travelling cyclist, especially when you can't budget room inside the vehicle for the bike, and especially when the bike is filthy and you'd rather not have it inside the vehicle. i love my NV2.0 with the integrated repair stand. it's great for multi day trips if you have to do some tweaking.

the one downside is that it's just always on the back of the car/van/truck, which means it's always in the way when you have to load the rest of your stuff into the back, but that's the compromise.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:07 AM

Yeah, my 1up is a pain to drop with bikes to get hatch access. I have the pull handle buts it just difficult due to the other thing you have to unscrew. I looked at those swing out additions but they are heavy and put the rack out another 6-8". My Outback isnt an F150. Speaking of, if I had to do it again, I'd go new F150 Crew. Its just the 55k and 22 mpg that I can't afford.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:45 AM

That is reason I was debating going for the 2+1 or 1+1+1 configuration. For my car the second configuration will allow the rack to stay in the hitch without interfering the lift gate operation.

I look at the Thule/Kuat and their 2+2 configuration is a major operation and I think the 1Up has the advantage in that regard.

I am looking for it to be configured like the attached picture and I have the CX-9, which has a bigger bumper, so more clearance between hitch and lift gate. And I think its profile is shallow enough that I can close the garage door with it attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (72.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 09-22-2021, 10:42 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Yeah, my 1up is a pain to drop with bikes to get hatch access. I have the pull handle buts it just difficult due to the other thing you have to unscrew. I looked at those swing out additions but they are heavy and put the rack out another 6-8". My Outback isnt an F150. Speaking of, if I had to do it again, I'd go new F150 Crew. Its just the 55k and 22 mpg that I can't afford.
Hey Mike, what other thing do you have to unscrew? My 1UP only requires pulling the handle to release and then the rack moves toward you with bikes on it, away from the rear hatch.

Like this:
Old 09-23-2021, 07:34 AM

Perhaps it is more with multiple bikes. I know my 1Up is fine to drop with one bike on the rack, but multiple bikes makes it more of a task.

Having said that, these racks are simply amazing kit.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:27 AM
but not really

I found the hard way that the extension handle for 3+ bikes doesn't work if the base rack is the single. When I have 3 or 4 trays loaded, I have to reach all the way under to move the rack up or down
Old 09-23-2021, 11:52 AM

Got an email saying mine is being shipped! ! Looking forward to getting it.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I am having the hitch installed next Saturday. Hopefully the rack will arrive shortly after.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Hey Mike, what other thing do you have to unscrew? My 1UP only requires pulling the handle to release and then the rack moves toward you with bikes on it, away from the rear hatch.

Like this:
The center shaft has a screw in round cylinder that butts up against the black bar to prevent accidental disengagement. 1 road bike is fine, but an E and an mtb is too heavy.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
That is awesome. So the lead time is about 2 weeks. I just emailed them to check whether I can add some accessories. I wanted to get 2 wheellocks and a hitch bar collar so I will know exactly how far I need to insert rack into the hitch to make it as close to the bumper as possible.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:43 AM

On my car, I just slide it in as far as it will go....and it still clears the back bumper by inch or so. However, when all the way in, it can't fold up vertical Because my after market receiver hitch is recessed in under car too much. On my next vehicle...going to get a factory hitch, which is usually out about same as bumper. Then can slide rack bar all the way in, and still allow vertical folding when not in use....on a trip or something. Around home....just take it off and put back in box if not using. Easy to do. The shipping box is very sturdy....but after a couple years, it got a little beat up and did have to reinforce or rebuild it with a bunch of duct tape.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-24-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:39 AM

Tracking says mine will be here today! ! Just in time for a mountain bike race tomorrow. Just looked at the tracking again, and it's delayed until tomorrow now. It's still in Chicago. Oh well.

Last edited by Matthew; 09-24-2021 at 08:55 AM.