Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 08:05 PM

Excited about a bike rack (1Up)

Got on the waitlist over the weekend and received an email today about availability so I ordered a 2" Super Duty Single and 2 add-on racks. I got the Super Duty vs. the Heavy Duty thinking that in the event I get a heavier bike (e-Bike) the rack will be more than capable of handling it.

Most of the time it is just me taking the MTB to trails so with a single I can have it up and won't interfere with the tail gate. On a rare case the whole family (3) will go (camping, etc) then I can use the add-ons.

It is still pretty expensive but cheaper vs. Kuat NV 2.0. The Quikr looks nice but the lead time is really long and they are significantly more expensive.

Hopefully this is the last bike rack I have to buy.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 09-21-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:07 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I've had over 20 bikes and the same 1UP rack is still here. That's sayin something. I think I'll swing by this weekend and see if they have an add on for local pickup.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I've had over 20 bikes and the same 1UP rack is still here. That's sayin something. I think I'll swing by this weekend and see if they have an add on for local pickup.
Another impressive thing is that the ground shipping is free. I was expecting $100 of shipping cost.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:39 PM

I have the heavy duty with one bike add on. it's handles my wife's heavy 50 lb E bike fine in the next to closest position to rear of car. They are very good about support also. I recently lost a bolt from one of the arms....sent them the pic of what I needed, and they sent one right out. Great folks to deal with.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:45 PM

Yea, it's money well-spent. Don't forget the cool 'rack stash' that you can use if you have a garage or area with sturdy wood studs to attach it to. Provides a great out-of-the-way place to hang the 1-up when not in use.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:47 PM

It is the last bike rack I will ever own….unless I need to carry 6 bikes but I will keep the 1up too. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Yea, it's money well-spent. Don't forget the cool 'rack stash' that you can use if you have a garage or area with sturdy wood studs to attach it to. Provides a great out-of-the-way place to hang the 1-up when not in use.
I do have garage space but will need to arrange a bit. that rack stash does look very nifty.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:01 PM

Yeah I bought this exact set up in June, for the most part it's just me heading out for rides, but for the family vacation we wanted to take our kids bikes as well, so the add on was great for that, and I'll likely have it until they are off to collage.
And considering that they are 8 and 5 that is still a ways away... LOL
Old 09-21-2021, 09:04 PM

Mine is in transit right now, looking forward to having a modern rack for once.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-21-2021, 09:55 PM

Me too!!

I paid for my 2in super duty single on the 10th. No notice that it has shipped so giving them a call to see if they have a ship date yet. Looking forward to it. Heard lots of great things about 1Up.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I paid for my 2in super duty single on the 10th. No notice that it has shipped so giving them a call to see if they have a ship date yet. Looking forward to it. Heard lots of great things about 1Up.
They said to expect 3-4 weeks before shipping unless I pay extra for 1-2 weeks. Looking forward but not in a hurry.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:22 PM

I too have had one for the past many, many years. I think i might have their OG rack!

but the thing I find fascinating is that how we as cyclist are just exuberant these days simply to get some cycling stuff.

oh covid! i curse you!
Old 09-21-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I too have had one for the past many, many years. I think i might have their OG rack!

but the thing I find fascinating is that how we as cyclist are just exuberant these days simply to get some cycling stuff.

oh covid! i curse you!
Haha that is true. But looking at it, as well as the quikr I can't help but think of the amount of thought put in in design and engineering. I am kind of pumped about it too.

I guess I am just getting tired of mounting hitch rack, tightening the bolt, hang bikes, try to maneuver spacing for multiple bikes, securing them etc. Really looking forward to simplicity and some functional elegance.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:32 PM

thoughts in my mind precovid: "oh no, that thing is 70% off! i dont need it but it is 70% off." then i rush to rummage through my wallet for my credit card.

thoughts in my mind during covid: "oh yes, that thing is IN STOCK at msrp!" I better buy it now before someone else does." then i reluctantly buy it.

oh covid, how i curse you!
where have all my deals gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Haha that is true. But looking at it, as well as the quikr I can't help but think of the amount of thought put in in design and engineering. I am kind of pumped about it too.

I guess I am just getting tired of mounting hitch rack, tightening the bolt, hang bikes, try to maneuver spacing for multiple bikes, securing them etc. Really looking forward to simplicity and some functional elegance.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:57 PM

Thanks tux, I didn't know you could expadite the process by paying more. I'll wait in making a call to them then. Not in a huge hurry. I've been throwing my bikes in the back of my suv for years now anyway.